Quarter Season Update...Rank the Canadian Teams

Fishboy*

Jun 29, 2017
Azerbaijan
I think the rankings have shuffled a bit since the start of the season. Let's try this again. Mostly I think Edmonton has fallen below expectations and Calgary has exceeded them - but let's see what the consensus is.

1. Toronto

2. Calgary
3. Winnipeg

4. Montreal

5. Vancouver
6. Edmonton
7. Ottawa (but they are doing well considering everything).

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
LOL. Toronto has 4 more point and 2 games in hand on Winnipeg. Don't know how that puts them into an entirely different tier.

Winnipeg/Toronto
Calgary

Montreal

The rest.

So they're ahead in points and points per game on the season and better in their last 10 and last 5 but it's a tie?

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
The tie breaker should be their respective records against each other.

The strength of the conferences should also factor in. Its a little easier to earn points when the competition is crap.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Toronto is ahead in PPG by a very small margin. You're literally talking about less than a 1 game difference. Winnipeg has 13 points in their last 10 games and Toronto has 14.

WTF?

So they're unambiguously better right now. A ranking doesn't say anything about how much better. It's just a list from top to bottom.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
So they're unambiguously better right now. A ranking doesn't say anything about how much better. It's just a list from top to bottom.
Lol, what?

It’s a small enough margin that saying one is better as a result is silly

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

If we are looking at points alone...and using a statistically non-significant difference? I don't think you know what the word "unambiguously" means.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Nylander and Matthews once added are going to make the Leafs a scary team, and is a big reason why I have them slightly above Winnipeg ATM.

Toronto
Winnipeg

Calgary
Montreal

Edmonton
Vancouver

Senators

4 different tiers of team, IMO.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That's not completely relevant though. If we're all agreeing that Toronto and Winnipeg are at worst...close..then head to head is the natural tie breaker is it not?

No. This is the NHL. When you have two teams playing equally, and the games are very close, that suggests that the teams are equal. 2 games is not a significant sample size in the NHL.

Once again, does this mean that Calgary is better than both Winnipeg and Toronto, as they've won both games against them?

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Consider the fact that the leafs got kicked out in the first round and Winnipeg made the conference finals while also beating Nashville it should be obvious who is better. Regular season matchups are great but playoffs mean more or else u can argue Flames are better than both teams since we beat them. Leafs fans saying they are better than the Jets cause of 2 regular season games have such a short memory. I remember them saying they were easily going to beat Boston in round 1 because they swept them or something in the regular season. We all know how that turned out.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Now consider the Leafs have been missing Matthews / Nylander for most of the season (Nylander all of it) and it's not really close.

Now consider that Laine got off to a slow start. Teams look equal to me.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Leafs sit 4th in the league and have been missing Matthews and Nylander for a significant portion of the year. Adding Tavares plus Rielly and Andersen playing out of their minds puts the Leafs at 1st in today's rankings, despite the Jets being the better team last year. The Jets have an extremely potent roster but haven't been playing their best hockey for most of the season so far. At the end of the day, I don't think much separates either team. Andersen and Rielly will likely cool down somewhat and the Jets are hoping for better play from key contributors like Ehlers and Hellebyuck. I consider both teams strong contenders.

1. Toronto
2. Winnipeg

Pretty big gap

3. Calgary

4. Montreal
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa

Calgary is really the only other Canadian team who's got a shot at the playoffs this year IMO. The Habs have done very well in the beginning of the year with Domi being a revelation. I considered them the worst of the bunch going into the year and they've really done well to prove me wrong. They've started to cooldown a bit, which was to be expected, though getting Weber back might give them another shot in the arm. Rebuilding is still their best bet, but adding Domi and Suzuki to their org was fantastic. Edmonton is a disaster feat. McDavid, Vancouver needs a lot more pieces, and Ottawa is... full of Leafs fans right now tbh.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Now consider that Laine got off to a slow start. Teams look equal to me.

How in the f*** does him having a slow start somehow equal to the Leafs missing a top line winger and a franchise center? I'm actually curious about this to hear how you somehow think a guy playing the games but sucking is equal to missing TWO guys (one of which is vastly better than Laine on his best day)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad