WC: Quarter-Final Pre-Game Talk | CAN-SVK | RUS-NOR | FIN-USA | SWE-CZE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulcrum

Russian coach says Norway has an NHL line (which they do not). Now that's a good start. :laugh:

Meh, I'de rather the Russian team come in to the game a bit scared and alert than the other way around.

That first game vs Norway was far from easy. But Russia had since found Chemistry, PK and PP had significantly improved and got good practice against Sweden and Cze, and added Ovi and Syomin. Hopefully that'll be enough...

Also, hopefully Norway will be a little bit overconfident after the past 2 matches and try to play beyond their capabilities, leaving for counter attacks and so on. We'll see, we'll see

Just imagine- Norway beating near Olympic Russia.. that would be something

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
I think for the most part people are being objective with predictions. Lots of people are choosing their nation to lose at some point. Of course there are some picks that are obviously just for fun and to have a laugh.

i understand that but i dont think that fans should be so overconfident about their teams in QF...QF is playing on one match so lets say CAN can underestimate SVK and so RUS can NOR and surprise will be born...all four in USA - FIN and SWE - CZE know that they need to play on 150% if they want advance so there i expect tough games but still see USA & SWE as winners...in CAN - SVK and RUS - NOR it will be only blow out or surprise

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Two games are interesting:
Norway is on it's cinderella run and it's a hot lower seed, Russia is underestimating them.
Slovakia is nothing special but is riding a hot goalie, has good coach who orders good system and has good team spirit personalized in Chara's personality, while Canada has defense suspension and it's not looking in good shape, altough they won group.

So I hope we will see at least one upset coming into SF.

Fulcrum

Two games are interesting:
Norway is on it's cinderella run and it's a hot lower seed, Russia is underestimating them.Slovakia is nothing special but is riding a hot goalie, has good coach who orders good system and has good team spirit personalized in Chara's personality, while Canada has defense suspension and it's not looking in good shape, altough they won group.

So I hope we will see at least one upset coming into SF.

certainly not! not with this coaching staff, you can be sure of that.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Norway is getting more votes than Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Finland :facepalm:

Cappo40*

Im worried about Canada vs Slovakia....The Slovaks played us well the first game, so who knows...

stamkosisboss

Mar 27, 2010
Leafs Nation
I think Jagr said it during the last Olympics. "If you play Canada ten times they will win nine. But all you need is one." So the slovaks can win. But unlikely.

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains
Meh, I'de rather the Russian team come in to the game a bit scared and alert than the other way around.

That first game vs Norway was far from easy. But Russia had since found Chemistry, PK and PP had significantly improved and got good practice against Sweden and Cze, and added Ovi and Syomin. Hopefully that'll be enough...

Also, hopefully Norway will be a little bit overconfident after the past 2 matches and try to play beyond their capabilities, leaving for counter attacks and so on. We'll see, we'll see

Just imagine- Norway beating near Olympic Russia.. that would be something

Good thinking, I believe you are spot on. I believe of course that Russia will win, but it will be even harder than the first game. I'm pretty sure that Norway is very far from overconfident. It's Russia and a very strong Russia we face. Norway will have focus on defence and not leaving any space for counter attacks. Norway will play with the heart all over, that's our strength.

I remember 1980 and the miracle on ice. It's time for a new miracle...:laugh: But heart or no heart, Russia will take this 19 out of 20. But this could be that one time. :nod:

Davebo*

USA will easily win their game, Russia will beat Norway, Sweden will beat the Czechs and Slovakia will have an easy time against Canada.

Translation:

Finland, Norway, Czechs, and Canada all move on...

Seriously - would anyone be comfortable knowing this guy predicted a good outcome for their team? :shakehead

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Oh stop complaining, you really believe that such great team as Russia could be compared to Norway like that, just because Germany cracked doesn't mean that Norway is so awesome and the Tollefsen guy or whatever his name is are you kidding me, it's called luck, Malkin is the best player there right now. And ovechkin and radulov will suit perfectly with datsyk. And kuznetsov. Can't you see russia plays a perfect hockey like no other nation, every time they need to get out of the tough situation they went and scored a goal in seconds, and I'm sorry to say but it wouldn't be like 4-3 if Norwegian goal would be registrated, Russia would press atlest one or two more for the safe win. Norway is just one of those teams that happeneds all the time, Germany or France suddenly played better so, what they gonna suck next year again

Russian A Team sure played a perfect game in Vancouver didn't it? Bird B...n!!

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Are you worried about a Russian exit? :D

Norwegian captain Tollefsen said they prefer to play Russia because it will be tougher to beat Sweden in their building and all their supporters.

123 Norwegian supporters > 8762 Swedish supporters

The Globen audience is rubbish

weetabix

Sep 6, 2004
Canada - Slovakia 5-2 (end-to-end hockey, but Canada too good)
USA - Finland 2-3 OT (hard fought game but Vehanen wins this for us, Komarov scoring the winning goal)
Norway - Russia 1-7 (Russia has too much skill to contain, PP goals galore)
Sweden - Czech 5-2 (Sweden has better first line and goalie has a good day)

Canada - Sweden 5-2 (quite many penalties, but Canada is better shorthanded)
Finland - Russia 1-4 (Finlands firepower is not enough allthough effort is there but Russia is too goo on PP)

Bronze final
Sweden- Finland 1-4 (goalie meltdown)

Final
Canada - Russia 4-5 (Russia makes couple of soft goals and Canada pressures most of the game but it's not enough)

Wolfy*

Norway is getting more votes than Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Finland :facepalm:

I'm not surprised about that when you look at the stats for Russian and Norwegian players in this tournament.

Goalies:
2. Semjon Varlamov (RUS) 94,66
9. Lars Haugen (NOR) 91,43

Efficiency:
1. Norway: 16,50
6. Russia: 10,27

PP:
2. Russia: 34,78
3. Norway: 32,35

PK:
8. Norway: 81,25
11. Russia: 73,91

2. Jevgenij Malkin (RUS): 14

Points Defensemen:
2. Jonas Holøs (NOR): 8
17. Dmitri Kalinin (RUS): 4

js10

Oct 8, 2009
Canada - Slovakia 5-2 (end-to-end hockey, but Canada too good)
USA - Finland 2-3 OT (hard fought game but Vehanen wins this for us, Komarov scoring the winning goal)
Norway - Russia 1-7 (Russia has too much skill to contain, PP goals galore)
Sweden - Czech 5-2 (Sweden has better first line and goalie has a good day)

Canada - Sweden 5-2 (quite many penalties, but Canada is better shorthanded)
Finland - Russia 1-4 (Finlands firepower is not enough allthough effort is there but Russia is too goo on PP)

Bronze final
Sweden- Finland 1-4 (goalie meltdown)

Final
Canada - Russia 4-5 (Russia makes couple of soft goals and Canada pressures most of the game but it's not enough)

Canada - Slovakia 5-2 (end-to-end hockey, but Canada too good).. forget about end to end hockey. Slovakia is playing from defense this year. Things might be happening tomorrow

weetabix

Sep 6, 2004
Defence is only good if you can keep the game low scoring and when you lead. Canada will lead after first 2/3-0 and you have to open up to try to create goals.

gago

Jun 16, 2011
Canada will lead after first 2/3-0

Don't be so sure of it. It is certainly a possibility but Slovaks are playing really good D so far - only 13 GA in 7 matches including 3 matches against the Big 6 teams.

weetabix

Sep 6, 2004
I am just hoping that stats are not really good prediction what will happen.

Since if it is, we have allready lost against USA.

vaspa

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
What a grueling hockey watching schedule. Rangers-Devils just ended and it's 6:19am here, time to sleep a few hours before watching 4 games in a row. :laugh:

gago

Jun 16, 2011
What a grueling hockey watching schedule. Rangers-Devils just ended and it's 6:19am here, time to sleep a few hours before watching 4 games in a row. :laugh:

Life of a hockey fan can be tough...

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I have to admit. A small part of me is sorely tempted to pull an all nighter and watch the Quarters beginning at 3AM my time. :laugh: Work would sure be a pain tomorrow, though (starting at 9:30)

Join the club. 3:15AM start time for Canada's game, and I have a class at 10:30AM, and probably won't get home until 7:30PM.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
North Americans don't realize how lucky we have it. American games start in the evening and European games start during the day. Poor Euros have to watch any NHL games (or other NA sport is so inclined) at god awful hours of the morning. 7 pm games in New York start at 1am in Stockholm, 2am in Helsinki and 3 am in Moscow. 7pm games in LA start at 4am, 5am and 6am. :amazed:

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
^like someone once said I'd rather stay up late/get up early for a few wks than a whole season.

Is Varlamov going to start for the Russians?

supposed to

just noticed all 4 games are on NBCSN tomorrow. a few hours of sleep, my best sick voice, and i should be good to go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad