GDT: Quarter Final: Canada Vs Slovakia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | CAN 6 - 1 SVK

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well thats a miracle comeback for sure. Canada is extremly lucky.

Now the gold is yours

Very lucky for Canada. I don't think that the gold is a lock for Canada at all though. I would not be surprised if Canada lost the semi-finals or the finals. I will be surprised if Canada loses to Slovakia.

Reactions: mazmin

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Very lucky for Canada. I don't think that the gold is a lock for Canada at all though. I would not be surprised if Canada lost the semi-finals or the finals. I will be surprised if Canada loses to Slovakia.

I don't think the gold has been a lock for a decade...for anyone. I heard a lot more about Russia this and USA that going into this tournament. So far none of them have looked like a lock for gold.

But Canada certainly just got a boost, and none of the other teams received that.

Reactions: Statsy and jj cale

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think the gold has been a lock for a decade...for anyone. I heard a lot more about Russia this and USA that going into this tournament. So far none of them have looked like a lock for gold.

But Canada certainly just got a boost, and none of the other teams received that.

Yes people often look back and make it seem like a known result was always inevitable but it's rarely true. Other than 2005 there hasn't been a WJC team this century that has been basically a lock to win, and even then in 2005 people were nervous of the Russian team because of Ovechkin, Malkin, and Radulov.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
It would such a Canadian thing for us to get our best player back, and go on to win the gold after such an embarrassing loss in the group stage.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes people often look back and make it seem like a known result was always inevitable but it's rarely true. Other than 2005 there hasn't been a WJC team this century that has been basically a lock to win, and even then in 2005 people were nervous of the Russian team because of Ovechkin, Malkin, and Radulov.

Exactly, there might be favourites but outside of rare juggernaut teams it’s never a virtual guarantee that any team will take Gold.

The unpredictability of the WJC is part of what makes it such a special tournament on the hockey calendar.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Looking to forward to watching Lafrenière. Hopefully he’s at 100% and they’re not rushing him back
The strategy must be to let him test it out in a situation where he isn't being pushed to the limit. Otherwise there's no reason to play him in a game they should win. They must be confident the knee is good or he wouldn't play at all.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The strategy must be to let him test it out in a situation where he isn't being pushed to the limit. Otherwise there's no reason to play him in a game they should win. They must be confident the knee is good or he wouldn't play at all.
They said that there is zero pain and they had 4 different doctors look at the MRI scans and all came back good so nothing gained from waiting a couple extra days.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Slovakia is not good. This should be Canada's easier opponent so far which is stupid. Probably will be called a homer but I really don't think Slovakia will be in this game at all. 10-0 Canada.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Really excited that Lafreniere is back. I'd hope he plays just enough to get back in the swing of things no need to overstrain himself.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Really excited that Lafreniere is back. I'd hope he plays just enough to get back in the swing of things no need to overstrain himself.

I’d give him 4th line minutes 5v5 but keep him on the top PP unit for this game.

If he feels great after this game I’d then go back to normal.

But it’s easier said than done. If he wants his spot on the top line right away the coaches will have to perform Jedi mind tricks on him to convince him otherwise. Stars like him always seem to get the benefit of the doubt.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
They said that there is zero pain and they had 4 different doctors look at the MRI scans and all came back good so nothing gained from waiting a couple extra days.
Does that mean it's 100%, like nothing ever happened? That would be great news, but surprising since he needed help getting to the dressing room.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Looks like he’s playing tomorrow. My guess would be limited TOI.

yep I'm sure theyll be smart about it. Him playing on the PP and limited 5 on 5 mins would be good just to get the rust off. But if hes pain free and tests are all good he might as well just play. Hard to know the exact situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad