Series Talk: Qualifying Round: Carolina Hurricanes vs. New York Rangers

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
We literally cannot get the 1st OA pick and win the cup together

Sure we can. We win vs Carolina and Toronto gets eliminated in the play in round. Both of them end up winning lottery spots, Carolina winning 1st overall. We get Carolina's pick.

The conditions on the trade is the Rangers will get the worse of the Carolina or Toronto pick. But the leafs pick is top 10 protected, so in that instance they would just hand over their own pick.

Now whether or not that is likely..

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The #1-4 seeds who have the "bye" play in the round robin. The other 8 teams are in the play-in round.

I edited it into my response but too late for you to see, I guess. Whoops.
Yeah the format of this is pretty straightforward, not understanding why the title is "Round Robin Series". We're not doing the round robin.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah the format of this is pretty straightforward, not understanding why the title is "Round Robin Series". We're not doing the round robin.

Yeah, we’re playing in the Qualifying Round, with playoff OT rules. Not sure what the OP is doing here.

Reactions: McSauer

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Chalk me up as someone who would have just preferred them putting the kibosh on the rest of 19-20. Seems as if focus should have shifted to making 20-21 happen as safely, quickly, and as soon as possible.

And maybe I’m just being a doof, but a cup win at this point would feel...cheap? Idk.

We have one cup in 80 years I'd take it however we could get it- including a season where every other NHL team went on strike and we played against replacement players.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We can.

TOR/CAR lose the play-in and CAR wins 1OA in lotto, TOR wins 2OA in lotto. Toronto's pick is Top 10 protected, so we'd get Carolina's pick in that event, which would mean 1OA.

NYR goes on to win the Cup.

Easy

:laugh: Easy!

For me, the lottery rules are (necessarily) convoluted enough to make them not worth thinking about until they need to be thought about.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No worries. If you just removed "Round Robin Series" from the title it would be totally accurate.

It wouldn’t be accurate unless he also removed the word playoffs, because we aren’t in the playoffs, yet.

The confusion is absolutely understandable though.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
upload_2020-5-26_14-26-13.jpeg

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Have to think that Quinn is going to start with Shesty in goal, then play whoever the hot hand is.

I'm sure Henrik would love to get another playoff run in though.

Also looking forward to half the board rooting for us to lose so we get a shot at a lottery pick :laugh:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Listen boys, I don’t really care about whether this cup gets an asterisk next to it, or how they seed the teams, or really anything except for the fact that:

This hockey team, from the beginning of the year with excitement coming in (shiny new toys; Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, Fox) but totally green with little chemistry... coming together over the season, turning a significant corner at some point, Shesty getting called up, DeAngelo and Fox exceeding expectations, etc., etc., ... this hockey team was coming together, was becoming exciting, was becoming dangerous, was developing an identity, seems to very clearly have a bright future... and now we get to see them compete for a playoff spot, maybe play in the playoffs... I for one am excited. I’ve loved watching the team evolve this year. I’m very, very ready to see what we can do, especially coming in against teams that have no momentum. It’s like a hard reset. The team from October isn’t the team from March. Now the team from March gets to start, not behind in the standings and trying to makeup ground to squeak in, but with a chance to compete right away. I’m ready to see how we rise to the challenge.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Have to think that Quinn is going to start with Shesty in goal, then play whoever the hot hand is.

I'm sure Henrik would love to get another playoff run in though.
You start your best goalie 100% of the time, which means Shesty starts Game 1 of the play-in 100%

Hank's record vs the Canes in the regular season means nothing right now.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It will be bitter sweet if we get to the finals or win a cup and Hank only ever dresses as a backup. Getting his name on the Cup finally but not actually playing would be such an awkward way for him to end up being a champion. But we have a long way to go to get that far.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If our goal was to make the playoffs and not tank then the pandemic was a favor to the Rangers I honestly had a hard time seeing them make the playoffs in that division with a little bit of a lull towards the end there.

Reactions: Kords

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad