Speculation: Qualifying Offers

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Pretty sure Feaster said him and Berra would officially be signed come this July. I really hope the fact that D'Agostini is really good friends with Gaudreau that helps him to ink here with no issues.

Source? I don't remember that.

Anyway with the RFA and those signings we have 41 contracts so we still have lots of space.

flames4eva

Jun 23, 2008
Pretty sure Feaster said him and Berra would officially be signed come this July. I really hope the fact that D'Agostini is really good friends with Gaudreau that helps him to ink here with no issues.

I believe you mean Ken Agostino not D'Agostini, and he is going back for his senior year at Yale. Both Berra and Granlund are already officially signed, and Ramo can only sign on July 5th.

Wabbit

Jun 22, 2013
If it were me...

Mikael Backlund, C
Chris Butler, D
T.J. Brodie, D
Mark Cundari, D
Greg Nemisz, C
Brady Lamb, D
Bryan Cameron, C
Akim Aliu, RW
Lance Bouma, RW
Carter Bancks, LW
Paul Byron, LW
Gaelan Patterson, C
Chris Breen, D
Leland Irving, G

And then I trade Butler away as quickly as humanly possible.
i agree with everything stated here except i would give Brady Lamb a little more time-i know he has to work on his skating but i think he has potential....

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I believe you mean Ken Agostino not D'Agostini, and he is going back for his senior year at Yale. Both Berra and Granlund are already officially signed, and Ramo can only sign on July 5th.

Ummm yes I did :laugh:

I thought I recall hearing Feaster saying he would have a contract waiting for him. I could be wrong.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
From Randy Sportak:

The first order of business is the offer sheets to the RFA class which consists of centre Mikael Backlund and defencemen T.J. Brodie, Chris Butler and Mark Cundari from the NHL roster. (That said, all of that paperwork is likely already filed.)

All four of those players are seen as key parts going forward for the rebuilding club. In fact, all four will be expected to take a bigger role with the Flames next season.

There are several pending RFAs from the Abbotsford Heat roster: Forwards Greg Nemisz, Bryan Cameron, Akim Aliu, Lance Bouma, Carter Bancks, Paul Byron and Gaelan Patterson, as well as defenceman Brady Lamb.

Don’t be surprised if not all are offered contracts to remain in the organization — it’s hard to see why Cameron and Patterson would be kept in the fold after spending all of last season in the ECHL ranks — but the list of players set free may not end there.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/07/0...ave-plenty-of-work-to-do-in-wake-of-nhl-draft

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sean Kelso ‏@kelsohockey 13s @NHLFlames qualify nine players: Backlund, Bancks, Bouma, Breen, Brodie, Butler, Byron, Cundari and Nemisz.

So Aliu, Cameron, Lamb and Patterson allowed to walk

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
would have preferred giving a QO to Aliu over Bancks, but it's so minor it's hardly worth commenting on.

I did kind of think there would one surprising non-qualifier (given some of the surprising ones around the league) but they just qualified the "obvious".

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
would have preferred giving a QO to Aliu over Bancks, but it's so minor it's hardly worth commenting on.

I did kind of think there would one surprising non-qualifier (given some of the surprising ones around the league) but they just qualified the "obvious".

For a lot of posters on this forum, Nemisz would qualify (;)) as a surprise.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Little disappointed they let Aliu go but he dug his own grave. Wasn't willing to listen to the coaches, trying to teach him a 200 foot game, he was only interested in playing a scoring role he didn't have the hands for.

Someone else will give him a shot, but his time with us was up.

As for the rest, spot on Feaster.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I agree about Aliu but it is very minor as Aliu at best was going to be a good 4th line energy guy. With getting Galiardi there was no room for him on the Flames.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Good to see Nemisz qualified. Now, the Flames need to focus on getting Brodie and Backlund re-signed.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good to see Nemisz qualified. Now, the Flames need to focus on getting Brodie and Backlund re-signed.

Nemisz still needs a ton of polish, I'm happy they gave him a QO; because, for what it's worth... He's still a first rounder.

Certainly he will never be a top line guy, and the door's really closing on him even stepping into a second line role (there's only maybe a sliver of light showing). Probable scenario, this kid learns that he's pretty ****ing big, and can dominate a game using his body and not just his hands; and gets to be a third line player in the NHL someday.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Nemisz still needs a ton of polish, I'm happy they gave him a QO; because, for what it's worth... He's still a first rounder.

Certainly he will never be a top line guy, and the door's really closing on him even stepping into a second line role (there's only maybe a sliver of light showing). Probable scenario, this kid learns that he's pretty ****ing big, and can dominate a game using his body and not just his hands; and gets to be a third line player in the NHL someday.

The expectations for him at this point, pretty much max out at 3rd liner. Most likely he'll be a 4th liner. If he has a strong start, he should definitely be high on the list of call ups.

What I don't understand is why most people are so quick to write him off. No, he's not going to be a top six impact player, but there's nothing wrong with having homegrown draft picks play on the 3rd or 4th line in the NHL; even if they were first round picks.

Bickell was a Hawks 2nd round pick, and spent most of his time on the 4th line until this season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The expectations for him at this point, pretty much max out at 3rd liner. Most likely he'll be a 4th liner. If he has a strong start, he should definitely be high on the list of call ups.

What I don't understand is why most people are so quick to write him off. No, he's not going to be a top six impact player, but there's nothing wrong with having homegrown draft picks play on the 3rd or 4th line in the NHL; even if they were first round picks.

Bickell was a Hawks 2nd round pick, and spent most of his time on the 4th line until this season.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

People truly undervalue the home-grown, bottom 6 guy; who plays with all the heart in the world and makes an impact on the game not only by putting up 60+ points a season.
I think it's important to look at the last few teams in the finals this year, and we all get to see what it truly does.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Bancks is very likely the next captain in Abbotsford. He is the consummate professional and great for the team, even if he never plays another NHL game he will do more for this organization that Aliu could ever dream.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
The only thing I dislike about Feaster is he seems to not like Backlund too much. I know for a fact, he wants to play here, but doesn't feel wanted. Kay is really hard on him. I think he can surely be a skilled bonifide #2 center.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only thing I dislike about Feaster is he seems to not like Backlund too much. I know for a fact, he wants to play here, but doesn't feel wanted. Kay is really hard on him. I think he can surely be a skilled bonifide #2 center.
I get the impression Feaster likes him quite a bit but feels like he can't trust him in a bigger role due to durability. Feaster said as much in the STH meetings.

I personally can't blame him, I feel the same way.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm ok with writing Nemisz off. He's really slow. I'm not sure how Feaster and Co. can believe skating can be taught after seeing Nemisz develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad