GDT: quack at kong seven thirty post meridiem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Sherwood with some great speed on the shorty to tie up Muzzin. He’s done better since that first game when I hated his play :)

3 goals off 3 bad turnovers. Kings will try to win 1-0 all season it seems...

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Kings looked old. It's just preseason, but man, not a lot to like there outside of their top 5 players..

Derek Forbort is a terrible hockey player

Last edited:
Reactions: bags07

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
One more thought: Terry is going to be very good. He's exactly what Kase and Rakell were when they were his age. I would actually be shocked if he didn't turn into a 45+ point player.

He has exceptionally good hand-eye coordination

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Man, this is the only preseason game I've seen but I was very impressed with the young guys. I thought the four rookies all looked better than Ritchie did last year. Not evenTerry and Steel are just fine in the NHL and will get their points because they've got great skill and playmaking abilities. Sherwood looked great as a 4th liner or shutdown role guy. Didnt see Comtois too much but what I saw looked great. Our team as a whole played with so much energy and just looked faster as a unit. I know those guys arent burners but they arent slow and play with good energy being so young. Very different than having Perry Ritchie and a broken Kesler out there. Much more entertaining as well. I'm really excited. Terry and Steel should get significantly better as the season moves on and the game slows down for them.

Schein looked pretty garbage imo. If you're gonna be slow you better have skill and he didnt. Still looked better than Bieksa who was slow with no skill and no size.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Kings looked old. It's just preseason, but man, not a lot to like there outside of their top 5 players..

I still remember draft day at Staples when a few drunk Kings fans bragged to my group that they got the better 1st round defenseman.

It was funny then. It's hilarious now.

Reactions: AngelDuck and Kalv

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Forbort is an absolute pylon. I remember seeing him in the next few years after he was drafted and he just looked abysmal every time. I was shocked to find that he was considered one of the Kings better prospects and then made the NHL.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Good to see another win before the season start. Seems we have to rely a lot on Gibson again. He is well worth the money he got, but we already knew that.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
I wonder if they're going to send Lundestrom to the AHL instead of Sweden, and that's why he sat out tonight.
I hope not. Just being selfish here, but his (my) team is in desperate need of a center right now since they calculated before the camp that he’ll be back, so no backup plan, plus last year’s 1C is injured. He’d be the 1C easily and probably geting 20 minutes/game, including PP1 and probably a few shifts in BP as well. Should he not return, we’re in the s**t hole big time... :scared:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I hope not. Just being selfish here, but his (my) team is in desperate need of a center right now since they calculated before the camp that he’ll be back, so no backup plan, plus last year’s 1C is injured. He’d be the 1C easily and probably geting 20 minutes/game, including PP1 and probably a few shifts in BP as well. Should he not return, we’re in the s**t hole big time... :scared:
That's understandable. Just don't take this 1C talk to the prospects board. They have decreed that he'll only ever be a slower Carl Hagelin.

Reactions: Vipers31 and Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

It looks like former NCAA star Jack Connolly is off to a great start in that role, or has he been playing the wing?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don’t. He’s probably more ready now but Steels IQ is going to take him far.
Terry also reads the game damn well
Steel reminds me a lot of Saku Koivu in term of playing styles, skating and size.
I would argue that they both also have similar (very strong) characters as well. Steel presents him very well, you can`t tell he`s 20, really.
There has been some crazy, heavy stuff for him in his life (his brother thing), but he handles himself damn well, gotta respect that. He`s just very smart overall, his hockey IQ is also very representative of that.

Reactions: Elvs

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
It looks like former NCAA star Jack Connolly is off to a great start in that role, or has he been playing the wing?
Yes, he plays C. And actually has exceeded all expectations so far. He seems to have taken the defensive side of play a step further but still is creative going forward. He was predestined for the 3C role but since Isac is over there and the 1C (Olausson) has been plagued by injury he needed to step up and has done so brilliantly. Unfortunately he’s now pretty much the only one on the tean having skills enough for the SHL as a productive center. That’s why Lundy would be greatly appreciated...

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Haven't seen anyone mention it, but Rico and Manson are wearing the A's with Perry and Kesler out. Interesting that Manson got it over Fowler, and I agree with it. Don't think anyone will argue that Rico doesn't deserve it.

Preseason is an opportunity for coaches to see how players handle the letters. It's not really an example of the hierarchy of who gets them, or who gets it "over" another. It's very common for different players to be sporting letters. Last season, we actually saw Cogliano and Fowler wearing the A during the season.

If Kesler, Perry, or Getzlaf are out of the line-up, I expect that will be the case again.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I haven’t been particularly impressed with Fowler Manson and Lindholm tonight. Although it’s pre season so who gives a ****.

I thought Montour stood out in a positive way.

Like you said, it doesn't really matter in pre-season, but I think he's showing signs that he's ready to take another step forward in his game.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don’t. He’s probably more ready now but Steels IQ is going to take him far.

Agree with this.

I really like Terry, but I think this is an example of him just being more ready, which also really shouldn't be too surprising. He's older, and is coming from college hockey where he'd be matching up against bigger and stronger players. When you consider that Steel is also a bit on the small side(for an NHL player), and that he doesn't have as much experience against the size and strength you'd expect in the NHL, I think the leap for him is a bit bigger.

Reactions: Paul4587

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Agree with this.

I really like Terry, but I think this is an example of him just being more ready, which also really shouldn't be too surprising. He's older, and is coming from college hockey where he'd be matching up against bigger and stronger players. When you consider that Steel is also a bit on the small side(for an NHL player), and that he doesn't have as much experience against the size and strength you'd expect in the NHL, I think the leap for him is a bit bigger.
Its usually a bit easier for wingers to break in, terry should get a big opportunity playing with Getz/Rakell. Not sure how they plan to do lines 2 and 3... but hopefully they put Kase on 1 of his wings... kase is a guy that will win puck battles and can control the game a bit from the wing. I think Steel will be fine... but I think terry has the easier/better opportunity playing with the 2 best players on the team. I still wouldn't mind seeing

Comtois Getzlaf Terry
Rakell Steel Silfverberg(or kase)
Cogs Henrique Kase(or silf)

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I thought Montour stood out in a positive way.

Like you said, it doesn't really matter in pre-season, but I think he's showing signs that he's ready to take another step forward in his game.
I didn't get to watch much of the game last night, did they stick to the Montour/Lindholm and fowler/manson pairings... and did it look like something they may consider keeping around for a bit.... because I think that would bring out the best of all 4 players over time.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Its usually a bit easier for wingers to break in, terry should get a big opportunity playing with Getz/Rakell. Not sure how they plan to do lines 2 and 3... but hopefully they put Kase on 1 of his wings... kase is a guy that will win puck battles and can control the game a bit from the wing. I think Steel will be fine... but I think terry has the easier/better opportunity playing with the 2 best players on the team. I still wouldn't mind seeing

Comtois Getzlaf Terry
Rakell Steel Silfverberg(or kase)
Cogs Henrique Kase(or silf)

That's a good point. As evidenced by the fact that, just this game, Getzlaf was the one feeding Terry for that goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad