WJC: QF Pre-Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I love Finland's team, but I have a terrible feeling they will absolutely choke tomorrow and Canada will step up. I personally feel Canada will play a tightly checked game and try and limit the Finish rushes. So I'm going to say Canada wins 4-2 (one goal is an empty netter). I think Canada will come guns blazing tomorrow and start to finish, everything will be thrown on net.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Canada comes out and hits everything that moves, Canada could give them fits. Hopefully we'll be allowed to cheer on the physical (and legal) part of hockey that Canada is known for.

In short, if the Canadian boys play the Canadian way and roll 4 lines with relentless pressure we'll give the Finns all the can handle. If Canada plays passive and glide by instead of finishing checks and double shift players who shouldn't be double shifted + long shifts, the Finns will take it.

Really hoping the refs let the boys play and don't try to become the centre of attention.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Will be great either way for the young Finns, win or lose.

Pulju and Laine + others will have a lot of eyes watching them. They will expose their talents to millions watching in Canada, so it's a great thing!

I find it funny that the Canadian coach stated that the Canadians are underdogs. No way in hell!

Impossible to predict, but I have a feeling Canada will take it, 5-2.

Swedes will take out Slovakia 3-1. Russia 5-2 over Denmark.

I think the CZEs will surprise the states but lose 3-2.

:popcorn:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Will be great either way for the young Finns, win or lose.

Pulju and Laine + others will have a lot of eyes watching them. They will expose their talents to millions watching in Canada, so it's a great thing!

I find it funny that the Canadian coach stated that the Canadians are underdogs. No way in hell!

Impossible to predict, but I have a feeling Canada will take it, 5-2.

Swedes will take out Slovakia 3-1. Russia 5-2 over Denmark.

I think the CZEs will surprise the states but lose 3-2.

:popcorn:

Our coach has sucked the entire tournament but he is 100% right about us being underdogs. This team just has no chemistry, passes when it should shoot, shoots when it should pass, some players are massively overplayed, some are underplayed.

Unless the coach changes things up drastically, this game is probably one of the easier games Finland will play against Canada ever.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Our coach has sucked the entire tournament but he is 100% right about us being underdogs. This team just has no chemistry, passes when it should shoot, shoots when it should pass, some players are massively overplayed, some are underplayed.

Unless the coach changes things up drastically, this game is probably one of the easier games Finland will play against Canada ever.

Weak Finnish goaltending and defense meets a Canadian offense with no chemistry or finish. This is truly a historic game.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I love Finland's team, but I have a terrible feeling they will absolutely choke tomorrow and Canada will step up. I personally feel Canada will play a tightly checked game and try and limit the Finish rushes. So I'm going to say Canada wins 4-2 (one goal is an empty netter). I think Canada will come guns blazing tomorrow and start to finish, everything will be thrown on net.

I've had terrible feeling our team since Russia game.
Yeah we won Slovaks and Czechs but still our goalie and defense hasn't impressed me.

Honestly said Vehviläinen hasn't been so magical what he was U18's last spring.
He lacks for so many basic goalie instincts and i wont be surprised if / when he get passed for another NHL draft.
Because of mediocre world juniors in home ice.

Veini isn't yet NHL levels goalie prospect ( if he starts fixing his lacks he'll be NHL goalie in 2-3 years).
Actually Finland has extremely serious goal-tending ( yeah i miss Juuse Saros too bad he isn't 1996 born) and defense problem.
Also our PK is mediocre but so is Canada's.

I don't know should i even watch that game i have already a feeling for that something goes wrong and Canada shows who's king of the rink.
Maybe i pass this game maybe i don't i'll decide that later

However of course i hope Finland wins but i'll be positively surprised if they will.
Those problems what Finland has wont get fixed before quarterfinal game.

I'm a bit pessimistic but also i'm very careful to my expectations for this game.

Last edited:

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
However of course i hope Finland wins but i'll be positively surprised if they will.
Those problems what Finland has wont get fixed before quarterfinal game.

I'm a bit pessimistic but also i'm very careful to my expectations for this game.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%.

In every game this tournament Finland has had some serious defensive breakdowns. Including the game against Belarus.

In regards to Veini, I watched all the games in the u-18 tournament and he was amazing in the gold medal game. However, in Finland on home ice, I will be extremely surprised if he can hand the pressure that Canada is going to through at him, in waves.

Otherwise, is there confirmation that he is starting in net?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If Canada plays a high tempo team game against Finland's depleted defence they have a chance to both win the game and get some much needed confidence.

If not they will deserve to lose, and if they happen to win just by fortunate bounces without a team effort will probably not go much further.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
If Canada plays a high tempo team game against Finland's depleted defence they have a chance to both win the game and get some much needed confidence.

If not they will deserve to lose, and if they happen to win just by fortunate bounces without a team effort will probably not go much further.

That's why I think its imperative to play Finlands D as physically as the officiating will allow. Get on them fast and hard.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I'm not really that optimistic: even a shaky Canada is likely to take benefit of our amazingly disorganized and undisciplined defence, and who knows what is happening with the stomach flu situation. Of course, we would be due a regular (that is, stellar) Finnish goalie performance but overall I think Canada is a very clear favourite unless we score more than 5 goals... So, I hope for 7-5 to Finland but fear 6-3 to Canada.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If Canada comes out and hits everything that moves, Canada could give them fits.

If they try that in the bigger rink at Hartwall Arena, they'll tire themselves out after the first or second period. Not to mention play themselves out of situations if they miss hits.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I don't know should i even watch that game i have already a feeling for that something goes wrong and Canada shows who's king of the rink.
Maybe i pass this game maybe i don't i'll decide that later
You need to watch this game, bro. This is what it's all about. If you can't handle elimination hockey, then why watch the sport at all? Man up! :)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If they try that in the bigger rink at Hartwall Arena, they'll tire themselves out after the first or second period. Not to mention play themselves out of situations if they miss hits.

Can also shift momentum and rattle the opponent. In a mens tournament, crash and bang might not be as effective, but these are teenagers playing with pride for their country. These games can take momentum swings that are very noticeable.

For Canada, momentum usually follows relentless forechecking and open ice hits. Been that way forever.

Big key is to play aggressive and make legal hard body checks while staying out of the box. These refs have been fairly good about letting teams play the body, it's stickwork penalties and after the whistle stuff we need to avoid.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
These refs have been fairly good about letting teams play the body

Canada will be playing in front of more than 10,000 Finns today, and some of us might even be making some noise even though that's untypical of us. It being Saturday evening will help in this regard, cause Finns love their alcohol. You're more likely to get penalized for a clean hit under such circumstances than in the games Canada played at the Ice Hall, cause the referees are human beings.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Canada will be playing in front of more than 10,000 Finns today, and some of us might even be making some noise even though that's untypical of us Finns.

I'm excited. I can't wait! It will be loud and rocking, lots of passionate Canadian's will be there in force. Canadians thrive in a rowdy atmosphere. And the Finnish fans have been great, the arena looks very nice.

Having said that, if they do go on a run of penalties, they'll be in tough. The Finns have an outstanding PP.

Hopefully the refs let the boys play and settle the game themselves, not try to be the main attraction.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Having been to both Canada games and the Finland/Slovakia game, I can't imagine what this atmosphere is going to be like. Canadians are nuts, Finns are nuts; it's going to be an event worth watching. Fortunately, I'm front row behind the net, so I'll be in the thick of it.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Never count us out...

canadian-flag-waving-hockey.jpg

Saekki*

I've made a mistake of judging Canada after group stages before, not gonna do it anymore, gonna be a really tough match for the Finns.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Testing...if this is too big of a photo, let me know. I haven't posted photos in a long, long time on here. Just wanted to give a different view than the TV. I have plenty more where this came from.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Having been to both Canada games and the Finland/Slovakia game, I can't imagine what this atmosphere is going to be like.

It's going to be good, but it'll be nothing compared to the atmosphere in the soccer derbies between the two Helsinki teams last summer. The teams play at Sonera Stadium, which you've probably seen during your trip here, cause it's right next to the Ice Hall in Töölö. Our national hockey team will probably never be able to create the kind of fan culture those soccer games feature nowadays.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's all relative, though. In Ontario, if you get 5,000 people for a hockey game, you're doing well, at least at the junior level. If you get those 5,000 people getting loud, you're doing very well. Here at the tournament, it's been 5,000-6,000 per night, and they've been as loud as anywhere I've seen. It's a treat to watch. The Finland/Slovakia game at Hartwall was 12,000+ fans and I've never experienced a louder, more consistent cheering than I did at that game. It was something to really soak in. I'm sure soccer/football games that have 20,000+ people are even more intense, but so far, I like what I see from the crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad