WJC: QF Pre-Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Maybe this was mentioned already here but in case it hasn't been, FIN-CAN will not be live on NHL Network in the United States but will instead be shown on a tape delay after the USA-CZE game.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Takk skal du har! Kanskje du snakker om våre søte brødre i sør.:naughty:

Heja heja Danemark !!! :yo: Alltid älskar Danmark

Denmark_c34a40_2423058.jpg

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Quarterfinals
Sweden vs. Slovakia - 5 - 1
Finland vs. Canada 4 -2
Russia vs. Denmark 3-2
USA vs. Czech Republic 3-2

Semifinals
Sweden vs. Finland 5-3
Russia vs. USA 4-3

Final
Russia vs. Sweden 5-4
This is what I had before the tourney started. Finland winning bronze and Russia winning in the final against Sweden. I said Sweden would win their group, however, I also said Russia would not win theirs.. Which must mean Sweden will win Gold

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
First morning ive been able to watch the entire set of games. 5am beers lets do this!! God I love thid tourney.

Praying for Canada, they'll need it today.

Hoping Canada can get it done
Get off to a good start and stay out of the box
The Finns have the home town pressure
We finished first in group play before and lost in quarters
Finland turn today

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
How good is this slovak team?

It's bad. Huska stood on his head in most games and kept the scores close. Some big guys on the team like Cernak, Jaros, Lestan, Bondra and Siska but no offensive talent like Reway last year.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
It's bad. Huska stood on his head in most games and kept the scores close. Some big guys on the team like Cernak, Jaros, Lestan, Bondra and Siska but no offensive talent like Reway last year.

^^ pretty much this... We came into the Championship with a goal of beating Belarus and avoiding relegation battle. That was accomplished. The consensus is that the Slovak defense is strong this year, but the team lacks any offensive talent. This was evident in the two close games vs Czechs 0:2 and Russians 1:2. In theory, game vs Sweden can either end close or with a blow-out.

Rick Nash CleanShave

Jun 10, 2013
Team Finland vs Team Canada will be a very interesting match. On paper this match is very tight but I'd say Canada is a slight underdog. I wouldn't bet on this one tbh. Should be a fun match.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
The Canadians better hope for good referees, because the officiating against the Czech Rep. was pathetic.

Also, in case you Canadians don't know: Finland was down to 4 d-men against the Czechs. A forward had to help out and he looked insecure several times. If the Finns are down to 4 or 5 d-men again, Canada's offense will probably expose that. I don't know what the update on their health is.
However, I said it before the tournament and I'll say it again: IMO on paper this is Canada's weakest team in years. My prediction: The Puljujarvi line will be too much to handle, Finland moves on to the semis (where they'll lose to Sweden).

For Czech vs USA, the Czechs can win if they play like against Finland, if Zacha is healthy, if they improve their PK, and if Pastrnak is more efficient - against the Finns he couldn't have scored on an open garage door. That's a lot of ifs. However, imo Pastrnak did nonetheless well, that assist for Spacek was filthy. He'll have to lead the team. Cesi do toho :handclap:

The other two games are no-brainers.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
The Slovaks beat us in the bronze game last year. So if there will be an upset in the QF it will probably be in that match-up. Fin v Can is a 50/50 affair. And US & Russia will cruise to the Semis...

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Why oh why does Vehviläinen get to start this game after playing shaky throughout the group stage. It may be too late to give Jalonen a reality check. Dammit, he cannot stop shots even if there's no one in front of him as long as the shot is aimed to any of the four corners. Every time the opponent entered Finns' D-zone in the previous games I got cold chills and I really hate that feeling. Guess it's too late to pass that stomach bug to Canada camp at this point.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Why oh why does Vehviläinen get to start this game after playing shaky throughout the group stage. It may be too late to give Jalonen a reality check. Dammit, he cannot stop shots even if there's no one in front of him as long as the shot is aimed to any of the four corners. Every time the opponent entered Finns' D-zone in the previous games I got cold chills and I really hate that feeling. Guess it's too late to pass that stomach bug to Canada camp at this point.

Our goaltending hasn't been much better. Blackwood and McDonald have been mediocre at best.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'm in no way confident that Finland will win, but I have to say that I've enjoyed the games immensely and been glad that the games have been so popular both live and on TV. It's obvious that people here value the tournament and that it should be played here again.

Hoping for a good game!

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Maybe this was mentioned already here but in case it hasn't been, FIN-CAN will not be live on NHL Network in the United States but will instead be shown on a tape delay after the USA-CZE game.

I think they changed that. I think theyre going to ahow Canada-Finland live and show Sweden on delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad