Q. Hughes vs. Seider

Who would you rather have?

• Quinn Hughes

• Moritz Seider

Results are only viewable after voting.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
For the Avs I’d take Seider, but I think Hughes is the better player.

No knock on Seider, who is excellent, I just believe Hughes has a chance to go down as one of the top offensive D to play the game.
That's refreshing from an avs fan. He's no Makar power wise but he can really do special things on the ice with his hockey IQ. This year his defense has done a 180 and he's been rock solid in all 3 zones.

Sounds like seider is special too. I'll say even and give it a homer vote.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'm a Canucks fan, but I thought this was a joke poll tbh.

Seider is head and shoulders above Hughes. Hughes is great offensively, but Seider is a huge physical dman great defensively who is a rookie on pace for 56 points...

I take seider every time.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
You can really tell that just no one watches Canucks games at all, lol

Hughes is very good defensively, has great possession numbers, and under Boudreau - is getting more than 50% DZ starts and is playing the PK. Peoples takes that hes just a little offensive D that cant handle any defensive responsibilities are a year out of date

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Hughes was held back by green. He never gave him the opportunity to pk. This guy is a star. But it's hard not to take seider too. Great poll.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ehh, I get the Schenn thing, but Seider's not really thriving by having DDK as his partner either. The guy can barely skate since his back surgery.

Not saying DeKeyser helps him at all. Just meant they’ve both shown capable of carrying dead weight

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vancouver games are too late for east coasters to watch. But that take is on another level of bad.

He actually meant puck control, agility and moving the puck up and puck possession. It was one of Quinn strong traits since his draft days and I do think he’s one of the best dmans in the league bases on that type of skill.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
I was gonna quote the post you quoted and say the same thing. But honestly those are the only 2 dmen in the league right now that are getting the conversation started

wow.... , so you would pass on the best d in the world and probably 4-5 cup runs with a conn smythe defender. For a rookie with 30 games played, a hot start but that is a big bet

Honest M

May 11, 2012
wow.... , so you would pass on the best d in the world and probably 4-5 cup runs with a conn smythe defender. For a rookie with 30 games played, a hot start but that is a big bet

And for the poll, i couldn't ... Hughes maybe but i'm not his biggest fan... Seider looks to be a good one, maybe him... :huh:

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Refuse to vote because both are excellent.

Hughs is hard to compare against other players coz he’s like a 6/10 on defensive, but a 10/10 on offence. Whereas other good d will be 8.5 & 8.5.

Reactions: HyperX

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Does someone want to run it by me why Seider is considered good defensively when he has a -3.51xGF% Relative to his team? While Hughes has a 4.39xGF% relative to his team.

Seider also has the 2nd lowest GA/60 rel on the team (6th out of 7th) of defensemen that have played 150 minutes or more 5on5. I'm looking at all his relative defensive stats and he's in the top 2 (for defenseman) isn't any major defensive categories of his team. Not like Hughes is a world-beater defensively, but he brings a lot more offense to his game compared to Seider.
I struggle to think anyone could watch a single Red Wings game and not become completely aware of why Seider is considered good defensively.
Defensive metrics in hockey have a long way to go. Seider plays tough minutes against top competition with AHL-caliber partners and for the most part manages it brilliantly.

Hughes is one of, if not the best in the league at this.

Have you ever seen him play?
Have you ever seen Seider play?

I've watched a lot of Hughes and sure I'd give him the edge in some areas when it comes to puck transitioning, puck carrying etc., but it's not something that Seider does at a much lower level.

grug sees seider big hughes small, grug think hughes no good
Unlike the misconception on Seider from even before was drafted that he's big, physical and good defensively, so he must not be very skilled or smart?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
He's certainly not deployed as a defensive defenseman.

He's leading all Canucks players in dzone starts since Boudreau took over(8th under Green). Could it be that Travis Green didn't know what he was doing? Only time will tell but it's not looking good for him

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Who are you even talking about? Hedman?

No I absolutely would not trade 20 year old, under team control Seider for 32 year old Hedman.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Is this serious? Seider if its moving forward, if it's right now it's closer.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Expectations is everything. Seider is exceeding them. Canucks, until recently, have been falling short of them. But there are few players that can impact the game as much as Quinn can offensively. And they are close to a wash defensively. Maybe things can change, but I would think most GMs would much rather have Quinn until they do.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Stats to ponder:

Hughes
Games played - 30
Points - 26
+/- | +9

Seider
Games played - 31
Points - 21
+/- | 0

Vancouver Record
14/15/2

Detroit Record
15/13/3

I know that doesn't tell the entire story, but it tells a big part of it. The variance in stats are not insignificant, particularly at this relatively early stage of the season. I'm taking Hughes.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's weird to me how we're supposed to consider Hughes as a defensive D-Man because of a 6 game sample size where Boudreau has used him as such.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It's weird to me how we're supposed to consider Hughes as a defensive D-Man because of a 6 game sample size where Boudreau has used him as such.

It could all come crashing down and force Bruce to change deployments again but it's interesting that the 6 game sample size is also a 6 game winning streak. Quinn constantly moving the puck out of his own zone is a huge part of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad