Q. Hughes vs. Seider

Who would you rather have?

• Quinn Hughes

• Moritz Seider

Results are only viewable after voting.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Seider but Hughes has become a better overall defender than I thought he was going to be at this stage of his career.

Once again if there was a too close to call option I would have chosen that one.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Homer vote for Seider, but this comes down to wanting a flashy dynamic offensive dman or a player that does the right defensive things and gets his points quietly. I'll take the latter, but at the same time it's important to mention that this is Seider's rookie season, meaning Hughes is the more proven player.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Put away the bias and this is Hughes AINEC

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Seider's definitely not Hughes fast, but his transition game is smooth as hell.
If the question was whos better I’d lean Seider. But a lot of fans around the league don’t realize how slow we are. People assume we’re fast, I always hear opposing teams announcers calling us a young speedy team. But we’re probably a bottom 7 team in the league in terms of speed. So Hughes would add an element to our team that we’re sorely missing

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If the question was whos better I’d lean Seider. But a lot of fans around the league don’t realize how slow we are. People assume we’re fast, I always hear opposing teams announcers calling us a young speedy team. But we’re probably a bottom 7 team in the league in terms of speed. So Hughes would add an element to our team that we’re sorely missing

I should've put it that way, that's what I meant. Usually I see the two phrases as synonymous.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Seider. He is younger, bigger and better defensively without giving up too much of advantage offensively, just a player that you can fit in any lineup with ease.

Quinn is great too, Seider just is the safer choice imo.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ummm... The defensive gap is pretty sizeable, and when you get into the offensive gap, it's not all that surprising when you compare their TOI.

I think this is based on misconceptions about Hughes from a poor sophomore season. Defensively he’s been very solid this year and his numbers back that up. He still needs to get stronger and can make some poor reads, but in general his positioning and stick work are good and his skating helps him keep up with even the best offensive players and get back into position if needed. Seider certainly has a better ceiling there, but their impact statistically this season isn’t that large.

Also, offense isn’t all about points. Hughes has a significant edge in terms of controlling play and transitioning the puck, where he’s one of the best in the league. He generates a lot more shots and chances both raw and relative when he’s on the ice. He doesn’t necessarily have to get a point on the scoring play to be an important part of the offense simply by getting things in the zone and keeping things in at the blueline.

Reactions: bh53

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I know its the cool thing to do to never use +/- again, but Quinn is positive while Seider is 0, while Vancouver is worse defensively. 26 to 21 points in favor of Quinn, and hes better in transition. Seider is better defensively

Too much going for Quinn right now and Seider's production is largely part of a huge firey start

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Hughes has been unbelievably good this season. Offensively of course he's elite but he's been good defensively too. And now that Boudreau is here he's actually an all situations D man who plays PP and PK and averages 25 mins a night. I didnt expect it to happen this fast but Hughes is a lefit #1 defenceman right now.

With all that being said its hard to turn down Seider's upside. Quinn will never have Seider's size... and right handed defenceman are unicorns for some reason. I'm a Canucks fan and my answer would be "too close to call" for this poll but maybe that means the answer is Seider since I'm baised but idk.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hughes has been unbelievably good this season. Offensively of course he's elite but he's been good defensively too. And now that Boudreau is here he's actually an all situations D man who plays PP and PK and averages 25 mins a night. I didnt expect it to happen this fast but Hughes is a lefit #1 defenceman right now.

With all that being said its hard to turn down Seider's upside. Quinn will never have Seider's size... and right handed defenceman are unicorns for some reason. I'm a Canucks fan and my answer would be "too close to call" for this poll but maybe that means the answer is Seider since I'm baised but idk.

Oddly, Seider hasn't really used his size in the way you'd expect since he came into the league. Obviously he uses it in that he can muscle people around, but he hasn't been laying nearly as many bone-crushing hits like he was in the AHL and SHL.

I wonder if it's him trying to adjust to the NHL game, or if it's that somebody in the front office pulled him aside and essentially told him he'll get more career longevity playing smarter, not harder.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Also, offense isn’t all about points. Hughes has a significant edge in terms of controlling play and transitioning the puck, where he’s one of the best in the league. He generates a lot more shots and chances both raw and relative when he’s on the ice. He doesn’t necessarily have to get a point on the scoring play to be an important part of the offense simply by getting things in the zone and keeping things in at the blueline.
Offense isn't all about points. Seider has a significant edge in terms of controlling play and transitioning the puck, where he's already one of the best in the league.
He doesn't necessarily have to get a point on the scoring play to be an important part of the offense simply by getting things in the zone and keeping things in at the blueline.

*shrugs*

Seider's skill with the puck and offensive ability continues to get underrated. Took him what, 5 games to steal the #1PPQB job from Nick Leddy? Walks the blueline like a pro and facilitates so much of the Wings offense with his ability to gain and maintain the o-zone.

The fact he's doing what he's doing while playing a top pairing role with sub-replacement level partners (Oesterle/Dekeyser) is frankly insane. That's like if Lucas Raymond was playing with Frans Nielsen and Carter Rowney.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I know come playoff time I'm not thinking twice about taking Seider. Big, strong, physical, defensive advantage while looking like he still has top pair offense already. Hes already having a similar, if not bigger impact on games than Hughes is, playing with Dekeyser most of the time.

If an NHL GM has to pick which player to build their team around I dont doubt theyre taking Seider too

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think the funniest thing for me is that they brought on Leddy to mentor Seider and within 10 games put Seider with DeKeyser to cover up his mistakes.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Does someone want to run it by me why Seider is considered good defensively when he has a -3.51xGF% Relative to his team? While Hughes has a 4.39xGF% relative to his team.

Seider also has the 2nd lowest GA/60 rel on the team (6th out of 7th) of defensemen that have played 150 minutes or more 5on5. I'm looking at all his relative defensive stats and he's in the top 2 (for defenseman) isn't any major defensive categories of his team. Not like Hughes is a world-beater defensively, but he brings a lot more offense to his game compared to Seider.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Offense isn't all about points. Seider has a significant edge in terms of controlling play and transitioning the puck, where he's already one of the best in the league.
He doesn't necessarily have to get a point on the scoring play to be an important part of the offense simply by getting things in the zone and keeping things in at the blueline.

*shrugs*

Seider's skill with the puck and offensive ability continues to get underrated. Took him what, 5 games to steal the #1PPQB job from Nick Leddy? Walks the blueline like a pro and facilitates so much of the Wings offense with his ability to gain and maintain the o-zone.

The fact he's doing what he's doing while playing a top pairing role with sub-replacement level partners (Oesterle/Dekeyser) is frankly insane. That's like if Lucas Raymond was playing with Frans Nielsen and Carter Rowney.

Seider is quite good offensively, but I don’t see him at the level of Hughes with the puck or in transition. Hughes is pretty ridiculous in that regard. Seider’s skills also haven’t yet turned into near the same results in terms of improving his team much offensively with him on the ice.

What Seider is doing as a rookie is really impressive. But Hughes came in as a rookie and similarly took over the PP and as leader on the defense as well. And this year is doing great carrying around Luke Schenn. I don’t really mean to knock Seider. He’s a special player. I just think Hughes got a lot of flack for last year, by myself included, which was deserved at the time, but it’s looking like an aberration this year and I’m not sure if other fans are giving him his due for this year based on how much people turned on him. I think there’s an assumption that there’s a big defensive difference and I don’t believe that’s the case, at least not in terms of results this year. Though admittedly it’s probably similar offensively where Hughes gets assumed better than he is in comparison

Reactions: wonton15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad