OT: PWHL Thread - Draft at 1pm Monday 9/18

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Absolutely terrible for women's hockey. Massive step backwards.
It all depends on whether this is the precursor to the NHL getting involved or not. Now the NHL's excuse that they did not want to get involved until their is one league is gone.

If that never happens, this is a step backwards that might never allow for a step forward. But, if you look at the path that pro women's soccer has taken in North America, there have been so many of these types of fits and starts along the way to where the NWSL is today.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
It all depends on whether this is the precursor to the NHL getting involved or not. Now the NHL's excuse that they did not want to get involved until their is one league is gone.

If that never happens, this is a step backwards that might never allow for a step forward. But, if you look at the path that pro women's soccer has taken in North America, there have been so many of these types of fits and starts along the way to where the NWSL is today.
The NHL has reportedly been in "daily" conversations with the new administration since this was all announced, so we'll see what happens, I suppose.

Have some additional information from my better half, who's been covering the NWHL / PHF since its inception in 2015-16:

Some breadcrumbs over the next little bit, and a formal announcement of the new league in 30-60 days.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Sorry, but voiding the existing contracts of the PHF players and then saying that the PA players will get first dibs on roster spots just ... I mean... I can't accept that. Not at all.

EDIT: As that article linked above stated, these women had contracts, jobs, plans. All thrown away in a matter of moments. Now they're left to fend for themselves. Just so low class.

I followed the Beauts from afar but I don't see myself following this new league at all. Especially since no team will be in Buffalo.

Talk to me again in a decade. Maybe my views will have changed. :thumbd:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sorry, but voiding the existing contracts of the PHF players and then saying that the PA players will get first dibs on roster spots just ... I mean... I can't accept that. Not at all.

EDIT: As that article linked above stated, these women had contracts, jobs, plans. All thrown away in a matter of moments. Now they're left to fend for themselves. Just so low class.

I followed the Beauts from afar but I don't see myself following this new league at all. Especially since no team will be in Buffalo.

Talk to me again in a decade. Maybe my views will have changed. :thumbd:
There are rumors that the PHF went with the buyout because they were on the verge of bankruptcy. And of course the PWHPA was going to favor their members when everything shook out. It was like loads of WHA players getting the shaft when the NHL won that tug of war and the league folded with a couple teams getting to join the NHL.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
There are rumors that the PHF went with the buyout because they were on the verge of bankruptcy. And of course the PWHPA was going to favor their members when everything shook out. It was like loads of WHA players getting the shaft when the NHL won that tug of war and the league folded with a couple teams getting to join the NHL.
Oh, I get that it was all legal.

But it could have (should have) been handled better. Perhaps a "buyout" of existing contracts. Or severance package.

If their intent is to grow women's hockey I'm not sure how screwing over half the professional players accomplishes that.

Reactions: Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oh, I get that it was all legal.

But it could have (should have) been handled better. Perhaps a "buyout" of existing contracts. Or severance package.

If their intent is to grow women's hockey I'm not sure how screwing over half the professional players accomplishes that.
Pro women’s hockey isn’t to the point financially for that to happen, though.

It’s like all the shady stuff that happens in lower level Men’s pro hockey in NA and Europe.

And as far as growing the game goes, the PWHPA was always in a death match with the PHF and the people behind that league.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Pro women’s hockey isn’t to the point financially for that to happen, though.

It’s like all the shady stuff that happens in lower level Men’s pro hockey in NA and Europe.

And as far as growing the game goes, the PWHPA was always in a death match with the PHF and the people behind that league.

No one has a "right" to make a living playing hockey.

No one in the NHL, no one in the AHL, no one in the ECHL or the SPHL or the FPHL or anyone in the PWHPA.

If there was an actual right to make a living playing hockey, then that's what I'd be doing for a living.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No one has a "right" to make a living playing hockey.

No one in the NHL, no one in the AHL, no one in the ECHL or the SPHL or the FPHL or anyone in the PWHPA.

If there was an actual right to make a living playing hockey, then that's what I'd be doing for a living.
No, but even the PHF leadership admitted the timing of everything was really bad. A lot of people are getting visas yanked out from under them after they spent money to relocate after being signed to contracts that have since been voided.

I do feel really bad for all the players that are getting shafted.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad