OT: PWHL Thread - Draft at 1pm Monday 9/18

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I was busy with work and forgot this was on but I caught the last minute or so of the game.

It was a fun ending to watch.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Associated with heavy metal guitar, Marty has brought the fine art of thrashing to the instigators with his voice. Try as he might, Brian Duff was never able to talk above the screeching crescendo.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
This signing could really be a game breaker for the NWHL... err, PHL, err, PHF. Whatever they call themselves this week.

It should go a long way towards closing the rift with the other league if players start seeing these salaries being offered. You would hope. (for the record, I don't support either side in the argument because I don't know enough of the details, but $80k a year is at least a living wage offer.)

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I think it's super rad that they're able to pay an elite female athlete a living wage. I've been doing my IT job for 12 years and don't make that much, so it's definitely a good wage and a great step toward supporting these incredible athletes.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Apparently this is going to be the gold standard for league contracts. $80K is laughable, but I guess you have to start somewhere.
It isn't laughable when compared to revenues that the team brings in.

As a lacrosse fan, there have been challenges for over a decade with figuring out a way to generate enough revenue to pay athletes in a way that they don't need to have day jobs.

Even with what has happened recently with the PLL, most players have a variety of day jobs on top of playing lacrosse as a side gig.

Reactions: Ehran

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It isn't laughable when compared to revenues that the team brings in.

As a lacrosse fan, there have been challenges for over a decade with figuring out a way to generate enough revenue to pay athletes in a way that they don't need to have day jobs.

Even with what has happened recently with the PLL, most players have a variety of day jobs on top of playing lacrosse as a side gig.
I just feel for these athletes where $80K is the top. Most won't be able to make ends meet. Can you even have a car payment and a nice apartment in buffalo for that?

This contract is international news - the truth is you can't make the finances work for a sport that is trying to build a following. They would be better served in a community that doesn't have other spectator sport options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad