HF Habs: PWHL Montreal

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
and? soccer women only play with women from early age, that same team got destroyed by 15 years old kids and not to mention they're led by sociopaths/narcissist/self centered/paid shills to push political agendas that are meant to divide the western world.

Those 2 groups have nothing in common
YA ok buttercup.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs and Guillermo

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
and? soccer women only play with women from early age, that same team got destroyed by 15 years old kids and not to mention they're led by sociopaths/narcissist/self centered/paid shills to push political agendas that are meant to divide the western world.

Those 2 groups have nothing in common
Bro is out of his mind based

Bee Holder

Jul 3, 2017
Montreal
Is she still the best player these days or has she passed by a couple of the youngsters?
She definitely still looks like the biggest menace whenever she hits the ice. Her level is a whole notch above the others. A bit like when McDavid is on the ice against other men

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I wish them the best and I might catch a few playoffs games but as long as bodychecking is illegal in women's hockey, my interest will be mild at best and I think I am far from alone in that respect.

I'm all for women athlete to succeed and make a really good living at it. I am also not asking them to go out there against men and survive a Tom Wilson charge. But... I don't see why they have completely erased an important part of the game like that.

So far, most of the comments I've heard/read out there are in two camps: those who are unconditionally thrilled with this league, and dinosaurs who just want it to fail and comapare these athletes to men hockey players.

But as far as I'm concerned, the lack of hitting is the real elephant in the room and I think the people behind this league (and female hockey players) need to address this issue. If kids can learn to hit each other safely and correctly, what prevents adult women from doing so?

You can't amputate physical play from hockey and get the same exciting game, IMO.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
The rules have already been set for a long time, no fighting. It's not like women hockey is new.
Whether it's new or not has nothing to do with my question. It's more about if they allowed it or not.

I used to date one of the hockey players from the University of Ottawa long ago and she had legs the size of tree trunks. I don't doubt their abilities as players. But I admit that I would have been more interested if fighting was allowed. Because I know how God damn vicious those girls can be.

• Haha
Reactions: Shred

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Still hey, ok. I know she was at one point but the last couple tournaments I've watched, there were a couple young ladies that seemed to be on the cusp of taking the torch.
oooh... will they have torch ceremonies? I will definitely watch then. Davey D to MPP!!! Woo!

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I give it 6 months till it folds

I wouldn't bet on that. Mike Walter, owner of the Dodgers, his group, Billie Jean King and her group, as well as others are funding this league. And they're prepared to not make a profit in the short term. In Jean King's case, she is going to do everything in her power to ensure a women's pro league stays alive.

You don't know what the future holds, of course. And this upcoming inaugural season will be a learning experience for all those involved. But this is different than the CWHL, PHF (formerly NWHL), where things weren't as well funded and not as well run.

I was listening to a podcast that Karell Emard does with Liz Knox. And Knox was part of the PWHPA that negotiated the CBA with the league. And she was explaining that the players were asking to have pre-game and post-game meals, Mike Walter was like "why wouldn't you have that?" And they explained that with the other leagues, the stipends they were getting was only enough to go get a sandwhich at the gas station. She also mentioned that one thing they asked is if a stick breaks, that they have another one on the bench. Again, Mike Walter was like "well, yea, of course." Like for him, these things was a no-brainer, but for the players, it was their reality for so long in the previous leagues that they felt it very important to have that added into the CBA.

So that's what I mean when I say the previous leagues that all folded was because they were not well funded, but most importantly, not well run.

I understand some might look at this and say "we've seen this story before. A women's league that won't last long." But this doesn't feel like that.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn't bet on that. Mike Walter, owner of the Dodgers, his group, Billie Jean King and her group, as well as others are funding this league. And they're prepared to not make a profit in the short term. In Jean King's case, she is going to do everything in her power to ensure a women's pro league stays alive.

You don't know what the future holds, of course. And this upcoming inaugural season will be a learning experience for all those involved. But this is different than the CWHL, PHF (formerly NWHL), where things weren't as well funded and not as well run.

I was listening to a podcast that Karell Emard does with Liz Knox. And Knox was part of the PWHPA that negotiated the CBA with the league. And she was explaining that the players were asking to have pre-game and post-game meals, Mike Walter was like "why wouldn't you have that?" And they explained that with the other leagues, the stipends they were getting was only enough to go get a sandwhich at the gas station. She also mentioned that one thing they asked is if a stick breaks, that they have another one on the bench. Again, Mike Walter was like "well, yea, of course." Like for him, these things was a no-brainer, but for the players, it was their reality for so long in the previous leagues that they felt it very important to have that added into the CBA.

So that's what I mean when I say the previous leagues that all folded was because they were not well funded, but most importantly, not well run.

I understand some might look at this and say "we've seen this story before. A women's league that won't last long." But this doesn't feel like that.

Lets just say I'm a non believer until proven otherwise, these rich owners talk a good league they bail like clockwork. I hope it works, but its a ruthless market out there competing for consumer dollars.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Whether it's new or not has nothing to do with my question. It's more about if they allowed it or not.

I used to date one of the hockey players from the University of Ottawa long ago and she had legs the size of tree trunks. I don't doubt their abilities as players. But I admit that I would have been more interested if fighting was allowed. Because I know how God damn vicious those girls can be.

It's fine they don't have to interest everyone, they just need to have an exciting product on the ice.

Lets just say I'm a non believer until proven otherwise, these rich owners talk a good league they bail like clockwork. I hope it works, but its a ruthless market out there competing for consumer dollars.

Don't think they have many choices anymore to grow the men's product, they need to de-alienate the population, it can be a loss-leader.

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

Yeah this one will probably be there for a while. It's backed by the NHL and I'm sure they have a bigger appetite now for a woman league. Low cost to market to 50% of the population.

I hope the league is modern about their way of product distribution. I hope they have free streams with a good level of production.

Reactions: Shred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad