HF Habs: PWHL Montreal

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have 0 interest in women hockey and I feel most people claiming otherwise are juste virtue signaling.

My sisters who are HUGE hockey fans and sports enthusiast will tell me how good it is for women and women sports… and will end up watching 0 game and buying 0 ticket, all while barely missing any Habs game. This tells me all I need to know about the future popularity of the league.

Women's hockey is awesome; I won't get into this club hockey because its not for me but the womens game on the international stage always brings high drama.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Women's hockey is awesome; I won't get into this club hockey because its not for me but the womens game on the international stage always brings high drama.

Fair enough but it’s one game per tournament (the US-CAN game). Drama aside it’s way too slow and the physical aspect of the game is not there. Midget hockey is more fun to watch.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
You and your sisters have every right not to watch and not to buy any tickets. But don't assume you're the barometer on if this league will be successful or not, especially months before they even start their inagaugural season.

All the other women leagues ever except the WTA are the barometer, not me.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Will MPP keep her consultant job with the Habs and do double duties ? By all accounts she's doing a really good job, the players all seem to respect her. It would kinda suck to lose her , even if it's for a great opportunity big picture wise :confused:

Reactions: PhysicX and Redux91

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Will MPP keep her consultant job with the Habs and do double duties ? By all accounts she's doing a really good job, the players all seem to respect her. It would kinda suck to lose her :confused:
She already was part-time I don't think this will change anything.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Two or three years and then out. Women will not watch and men would much rather watch men's hockey. Of course the feminists will cry and wring there hands, but it is what it is. If you have no fans you've got nothing. Sad but true.

I loved watching women's golf because I felt I could take away more from their game than the men's game to help me improve. Alas they had a few good years on networks and then slide into sports networks where few watch. Just no market for women's sports other than international events.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They need coverage, and I'm pretty sure they'll get plenty at first. They'll succeed if the coverage lasts.

I know I'll obliquely follow them (does that make any sense in English?).

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
*Canadiennes* name is pretty bad ngl

Boston won't be the Mama Bears.

Do your own thing gals. Be original.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
They need coverage, and I'm pretty sure they'll get plenty at first. They'll succeed if the coverage lasts.

I know I'll obliquely follow them (does that make any sense in English?).
I kinda see it like MMA. I go all the way back to the mid nineties with the sport and at first I had zero confidence female fighting would ever be a ''thing'' when it first started in some of the smaller promotions. Look at how big it's gotten now, with female fighters even headlining some of the PPVs. You have to scale it at first and be patient with it, but you can't tell me it's downright impossible to make it work. You just have to brand it the right way and have a few key big personnalities to build around.

Reactions: PhysicX

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I kinda see it like MMA. I go all the way back to the mid nineties with the sport and at first I had zero confidence female fighting would ever be a ''thing'' when it first started in some of the smaller promotions. Look at how big it's gotten now, with female fighters even headlining some of the PPVs. You have to scale it at first and be patient with it, but you can't tell me it's downright impossible to make it work. You just have to brand it the right way and have a few key big personnalities to build around.

Bolded : I don't know if you imply that I said that... But I never said that.

Underlined : That's a f***ing tall order if I ever saw one.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If it was me, I'd offer the CA rights to TSN on a 3-4 year deal for cheap, see if I can get prime viewership with TSN trying to build it up

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
*Canadiennes* name is pretty bad ngl

Boston won't be the Mama Bears.

Do your own thing gals. Be original.

I disagree about Les Canadiennes. I loved that name. A lot of girls would idolize players on the Habs, and this was their way of being part of the same family as them.

I would be happy if they name the team the same. But it doesn't mean it's the only name I want them to have and anything else will be a let down.

Here's a former player wanting them to bring back Les Canadiennes, as well as the red-white-blue. So you know there was pride wearing those colors and having a female version of the Canadiens.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad