GDT: PWHL - Minnesota Discussion

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I don’t care that this league exists. If some find it entertaining that’s awesome. What’s annoying is the inevitable crying about the low pay , low attendance and lack of coverage. Also there will be calls for the nhl to share revenue and subsidize this poor on ice product. I enjoy watching several woman’s sports where they are able to put a competitive display of talent together. Volleyball , golf etc. Hockey is not that , woman don’t have any ability to excel at this sport. Any good high school or bantam club would dominate this league and before you get started it’s not sexist to state that.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don’t care that this league exists. If some find it entertaining that’s awesome. What’s annoying is the inevitable crying about the low pay , low attendance and lack of coverage. Also there will be calls for the nhl to share revenue and subsidize this poor on ice product. I enjoy watching several woman’s sports where they are able to put a competitive display of talent together. Volleyball , golf etc. Hockey is not that , woman don’t have any ability to excel at this sport. Any good high school or bantam club would dominate this league and before you get started it’s not sexist to state that.
I ran this through Google Translate:
Statement about how I don't care about this league's existence. Long explanation about how, not only do I care to an extreme degree, I care more than most of the people on this forum who actually enjoy the league. I am so worked up, and my caring so great, that I am actively hoping the league fails.

The statement you were worried about sounding sexist is... well, not great since you have no way to verify it, but it is probably sexist to say that women don't have any ability to excel at the sport. I have first-hand experience that says otherwise, and there are plenty of excellent women players who have outplayed plenty of men on their way to becoming such, something that is simply impossible if they don't have any ability to excel at the sport. I'm hoping you'd like to walk that statement back.

I'm not sure what your hang-up is when it comes to this league, nor do I understand why you're so outspoken about it. There is no financial relationship between the PWHL and the NHL. You're in here hollering about a problem that doesn't exist. Why?

Reactions: JMCx4 and Minnesota

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
great. So don’t post in this thread.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Apparently feathers are sufficiently ruffled.
Feathers are ruffled, fur is standing on end, and buzzes have been harshed. Seriously if you're not interested in this league, don't post about it and leave it for those who want to do what is apparently to you, the unthinkable: enjoy more professional Minnesota hockey.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

I know a few female hockey players that would absolutely wipe the ice with you. How incredibly sexist for you to say such a thing

Yes. Yes, it is.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I know a few female hockey players that would absolutely wipe the ice with you. How incredibly sexist for you to say such a thing

Yes. Yes, it is.
Feathers are ruffled, fur is standing on end, and buzzes have been harshed. Seriously if you're not interested in this league, don't post about it and leave it for those who want to do what is apparently to you, the unthinkable: enjoy more professional Minnesota hockey.
Well possibly now that I haven’t skated in roughly 6 years and I’m old. I played with several girls from the Norwegian national team while I was at UND and I can assure you they would not have wiped the floor with me or any other grown as man who’d been playing hockey since they could stand upright.

I mean it’s nothing to get butthurt about. Woman can’t physically make an entertaining hockey product. It’s a fast paced physical game. It’s like woman’s football , any JV squad of boys would wreck them

I must have missed the rules stating that commentary in this thread needed to be positive in nature. I’m sure it must be written somewhere and I just missed it

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well possibly now that I haven’t skated in roughly 6 years and I’m old. I played with several girls from the Norwegian national team while I was at UND and I can assure you they would not have wiped the floor with me or any other grown as man who’d been playing hockey since they could stand upright.

I mean it’s nothing to get butthurt about. Woman can’t physically make an entertaining hockey product. It’s a fast paced physical game. It’s like woman’s football , any JV squad of boys would wreck them

I must have missed the rules stating that commentary in this thread needed to be positive in nature. I’m sure it must be written somewhere and I just missed it
BS. They make a very entertaining product, you're welcome to avoid this thread and let others enjoy it in peace.
You posting here just to bash it is akin to trolling.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
BS. They make a very entertaining product, you're welcome to avoid this thread and let others enjoy it in peace.
You posting here just to bash it is akin to trolling.
He's not even just bashing it, he's stating very sexist comments, which are apparently ok.

Reactions: MrRuin

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Mod Warning: This thread is NOT your personal diary to speculate whether women are inferior to men, or to downplay the PWHL for being different than men’s hockey. Anyone bashing women will be (and have been) permanently thread-banned.

Sorry for the disruption, I thought he was mature enough to carry on the conversation. I was wrong.

Carry on, please.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Mod Warning: This thread is NOT your personal diary to speculate whether women are inferior to men, or to downplay the PWHL for being different than men’s hockey. Anyone bashing women will be (and have been) permanently thread-banned.

Sorry for the disruption, I thought he was mature enough to carry on the conversation. I was wrong.

Carry on, please.
I trained you well. I am so proud.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

I know he has been thread banned - but still.

I would offer that the reason people feel as though the Women's game is "inferior" has more to do with the fact that the men's game has been invested in heavily since the inception of the sport. This is honestly the first female league outside of National Teams that has had organized practices and NHL caliber rinks. This is the first real investment into the female side of the sport and it should have very positive impacts. I would expect the game to improve greatly over the next 5-10 years.

The amount of youth girls teams at the PWHL games is amazing to see. Its a net positive for the sport of hockey and I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

As an aside - I would offer that UND also cannot physically produce an entertaining on ice product.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I know he has been thread banned - but still.

I would offer that the reason people feel as though the Women's game is "inferior" has more to do with the fact that the men's game has been invested in heavily since the inception of the sport. This is honestly the first female league outside of National Teams that has had organized practices and NHL caliber rinks. This is the first real investment into the female side of the sport and it should have very positive impacts. I would expect the game to improve greatly over the next 5-10 years.

The amount of youth girls teams at the PWHL games is amazing to see. Its a net positive for the sport of hockey and I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

As an aside - I would offer that UND also cannot physically produce an entertaining on ice product.
I think it has more to do with the game is just different. Have people ever talked to casual hockey fans? They always talk about fights and how "that guy got absolutely crushed with a hit."

I've never really asked the question since I assume there is/are good reasons for it, but why is body checking not allowed in women's hockey?

As someone who went to plenty of women's hockey games for Wisconsin, they are definitely entertaining. None better than the 4OT NCAA quarterfinal game winner from Jinelle Zaugg:

Reactions: JMCx4

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think it has more to do with the game is just different. Have people ever talked to casual hockey fans? They always talk about fights and how "that guy got absolutely crushed with a hit."

I've never really asked the question since I assume there is/are good reasons for it, but why is body checking not allowed in women's hockey?

As someone who went to plenty of women's hockey games for Wisconsin, they are definitely entertaining. None better than the 4OT NCAA quarterfinal game winner from Jinelle Zaugg:

Because women are frail and break easily. They'd collide and their boobs would shoot off in various directions, like a lego tower hitting the pavement after a 10 story drop.

But actually sexism and double-standards. I can't for the life of me think of a sound cause for it, based on reason and proof rather than stereotype.

Wikipedia has this to say:
Due to their dangerous nature and increased likelihood of causing serious injury, these hits can have penalties ranging from a minor two-minute penalty to a major and game misconduct. In women's ice hockey, any form of body checking is illegal. It is also not allowed in leagues with young children.
Which is nonsense, because it's a statistical fact that men are bigger and, with the added leg length, often faster. F=ma, assholes. Kids are the least likely to get injured, regardless of form, and women are still less likely than men to get injured.

Nathaniel Oliver over at THW says this (opinion piece):
If you really want to know my personal opinion, I have never thought that hitting was necessary in the women’s game. I feel that incorporating bodychecking would take away from what I enjoy most about women’s hockey – the skating, the playmaking, the puck battles, the sheer grace of the game.
If this is true of the women's game, is it not also true of the men's game?

I read through a few more, but I can't find any real reason through Google. Sorry.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Different topic, I find it interesting seeing the different ways people enjoy a sport. Some people only want to watch the best players in the world. Some people think the pro game is too systematic, and scientific, and feel that the "art" is lost. Neither of them are wrong, it's just what they prefer. Personally, view watching women's hockey as akin to watching high school hockey. The players aren't as fast or skilled, and they're aware of that, but they're still intelligent people trying their absolute hardest against similarly talented people. It's just so goddamn human, them duking it out in contest, trying to be better than both their competitors today and themselves yesterday. And that's what I love about sports. Besides that, the same sport can look like a totally different game depending on the skill and speed of the players, and that's fascinating to watch, too.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I read through a few more, but I can't find any real reason through Google. Sorry.
I did a quick google search prior to asking and I stumbled upon Reddit post that said there was an international tournament back in 1990, the first World Championships for women's hockey, that allowed body checking. USA and Canada steamrolled the competition and after that the IIHF did not allow body checking.

Not sure if that is true, but definitely felt like I was diving into conspiracy theories.

Anyways, I've probably pulled the thread back off topic more than I should have. When is the next game?

I see that Sophia Kunin (Shaver) is on the team. Pretty cool to have a couple that both play professional hockey.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Because women are frail and break easily. They'd collide and their boobs would shoot off in various directions, like a lego tower hitting the pavement after a 10 story drop.

But actually sexism and double-standards. I can't for the life of me think of a sound cause for it, based on reason and proof rather than stereotype.

Wikipedia has this to say:

Which is nonsense, because it's a statistical fact that men are bigger and, with the added leg length, often faster. F=ma, assholes. Kids are the least likely to get injured, regardless of form, and women are still less likely than men to get injured.

Nathaniel Oliver over at THW says this (opinion piece):

If this is true of the women's game, is it not also true of the men's game?

It's because of how the sport evolved at the lower levels. Starting with Ringette into girls hockey. At the youth levels they didn't allow checking, so as the youth players move up and higher levels of play develop, they're based on the game that the youths played.
They were not checking in any league prior, so they were not taught the techniques of checking, so they still don't allow checking.

That of course, completely ignores the fact that girls were playing boys hockey before they were give opportunities outside of boys hockey and thus the girls were checking, until they were moved into leagues that didn't allow it in the first place.

So it all has to do with Ringette being the first available sport that was girls alternative to playing boys hockey, and the fact that Ringette, no matter which gender is playing it, is purely a non-contact sport.

You watch a women's college hockey game today, or women's olympic hockey today and they come as close to checking as you can get without officially checking. There is definitely physical play out there these days, which is why US vs Canada is very entertaining to say the least. They should just make it official and allow checking already. The players are doing everything they can to get to that point within the rules as it is anyway.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It's because of how the sport evolved at the lower levels. Starting with Ringette into girls hockey. At the youth levels they didn't allow checking, so as the youth players move up and higher levels of play develop, they're based on the game that the youths played.
They were not checking in any league prior, so they were not taught the techniques of checking, so they still don't allow checking.

That of course, completely ignores the fact that girls were playing boys hockey before they were give opportunities outside of boys hockey and thus the girls were checking, until they were moved into leagues that didn't allow it in the first place.

So it all has to do with Ringette being the first available sport that was girls alternative to playing boys hockey, and the fact that Ringette, no matter which gender is playing it, is purely a non-contact sport.

You watch a women's college hockey game today, or women's olympic hockey today and they come as close to checking as you can get without officially checking. There is definitely physical play out there these days, which is why US vs Canada is very entertaining to say the least. They should just make it official and allow checking already. The players are doing everything they can to get to that point within the rules as it is anyway.
Checking is legal in the PWHL, just a bit restricted compared to men’s in terms of you have to be making a play for the puck, essentially trying to remove the classic “always finish your check” rule from men’s hockey after a guy already passes it or tips it. This is a nice advancement for the women and I personally think that restriction makes a lot of sense and removes a lot of the grey area plays that escalate.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
honestly, I’d like to see checking dialed back a notch in men’s hockey too. As long as it’s a play for the puck yeah sure check all you want. Dial it back once the puck is gone though.

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just from some personal experience as parent/coach of girls hockey. The girls that were good enough to play in boys "A team" hockey left because they didn't like the checking. It wasn't a bigger/stronger (it's the age range where the girls were bigger than the boys) issue it was more they felt targeted by the boys. A lot of it came down to fragile egos in the tween/teen (PeeWee/Bantam) boys couldn't take getting scored on by a girl. Even worse was if the boys hit the ice after a check by a girl. Team (co-ed) locker rooms were toxic a lot of times too.

Girls hockey isn't contact free. Hip checking is taught as opposed to boy checking in boys. It's less violent, but also creates lots of lower body injuries.

I like watching women and men hockey. It's the same but different, like baseball is to fast pitch softball, or NFL is to CFL football.

Reactions: BagHead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad