PWHL Coming to Pittsburgh March 17 as Part of “PWHL Takeover Weekend"

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
We're about to head downtown to get brunch and then go to the game. Not sure who I'll be cheering for but I fully expect to have more fun watching this as opposed to the Penguins.

Very cool! Keep us updates how it all unfolds :cool:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Waiting for broadcast from Pittsburgh:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
TODAY AT PPG PAINTS ARENA

PPG Paints Arena, home of the Pittsburgh Penguins, is the fifth NHL venue to host a PWHL game this season. During today’s game, the past, present, and future of women’s hockey will be celebrated. The league will recognize members of the Chatham Cougars – the state’s first collegiate women’s ice hockey team that received varsity athletic status and became an NCAA Division III team in 1996. On March 17, 1998, the team was honored with a proclamation in the Pittsburgh city council chambers, celebrating their trailblazing efforts in the sport. Also in attendance will be members of the Pittsburgh Pennies – Pittsburgh’s first women’s hockey team founded in 1972. The group broke down barriers and have been instrumental in advancing the sport with a legacy that has led to nearly 2,000 girls and women playing hockey in Western Pennsylvania. The Penguins Foundation 50/50 proceeds from this game will benefit need-based scholarships for girl’s hockey. Today’s game will also set an attendance record for a professional women’s hockey game played in Pittsburgh.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The Oneill goal was slick AF! I am watching on youtube. How many fans in attendance aprox you reckon?

Lower bowl looks to be sold out. About 95% full as some people didn't show up. Upper bowl is closed.

Announced attendance of 8850. Definitely less than I expected.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun. There wasn't much hitting but when the hits happened you really noticed them. Montreal was really outplayed and the 2nd period kinda drug on. But then the intensity picked up again in the 3rd. Would go again.

With only 24 games total and about half being hosted at home, I really do think that Pittsburgh could support a team. Especially if they do the AHL thing and do their best to only have weekend games.

Team name suggestions? I'd say Pennies after learning about the 70's team earlier today.

Last edited:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
So with 8850 in attendance for todays game and 13 776 at Detroit last night, I wonder if that hurts Pittsburghs chances of getting an expansion team!?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad