PWHL Coming to Pittsburgh March 17 as Part of “PWHL Takeover Weekend"

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hope it goes well. I'd like to see that league continue to grow.
I'll ask a simple question: Will you watch it and why?

I say this with one of my good friends being an ambassador of this specific league. And I support her greatly. I just never understand secondary leagues. I don't find value in watching the AHL because it's not the NHL. I sure as f*** don't care to watch ECHL. I do not care to watch junior hockey. The only reason I would watch any of it is simply to watch potential future pros of the Pens or the league. So it all sums up to greatness.

I would think a young girl can watch Sid and say "I want to do that" and bust her ass and achieve greatness. And I'll support my friend and the league but I just do not really find value in watching hockey at lesser levels. Thus why nobody in their right mind comes to our adult league games. Because the game might be good... but do you really want to watch older out of shape dudes go to war?

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
So, i tried watching some the other day

It's dreadfully boring. It was like watching junior level hockey.

I don't have time for watching shit like that @ColePens

I barely watch NHL, so I'm not really going to watch this league that looked like 12 slow Shearys skating out there

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I happened to catch a game on TV recently and I thought it was excellent. A lot of action and skill on display. If I can find the league on TV again I will give it a watch.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So, i tried watching some the other day

It's dreadfully boring. It was like watching junior level hockey.

I don't have time for watching shit like that @ColePens

I barely watch NHL, so I'm not really going to watch this league that looked like 12 slow Shearys skating out there

Yeah that's kinda my point. To the people who will signal they want to see it... then go invest in it. That means more than just telling people online you like it. Go actually put dollars into it.

I want the youth (girls/boys) to fall in love with the game. I love watching them sit in awe watching these players dominate. I love that. Seeing kids at NHL games just sit in complete awe is dope. I want all hockey to succeed, but im not going to lie about what I will invest in when I just don't even have time to watch all NHL stuff.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

I say this with one of my good friends being an ambassador of this specific league. And I support her greatly. I just never understand secondary leagues. I don't find value in watching the AHL because it's not the NHL. I sure as f*** don't care to watch ECHL. I do not care to watch junior hockey. The only reason I would watch any of it is simply to watch potential future pros of the Pens or the league. So it all sums up to greatness.

I would think a young girl can watch Sid and say "I want to do that" and bust her ass and achieve greatness. And I'll support my friend and the league but I just do not really find value in watching hockey at lesser levels. Thus why nobody in their right mind comes to our adult league games. Because the game might be good... but do you really want to watch older out of shape dudes go to war?
i wont, but it's a chance to see a higher level of hockey at a much cheaper price. for us poor folk.:laugh:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I'm more inclined to go watch a hockey or any other game live vs a lower level one on TV. That's just my personal preference

I'll go watch my local HS hockey games, but I'll never watch on TV. I'll go watch Juniors or our local ECHL team, but it's a dread watching on TV.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I always enjoy watching the Women's Olympic tournament, some of the Canada vs USA games were classics. Those games have had good television ratings in both countries, so I don't think the problems with women's hockey have strictly been that people only ever want to see the best men play the game.

I think the women's Olympic tournament does well for a few reasons that this league should keep in mind:
  • The smaller talent pool that the women's game still has, isn't an issue for the national teams. Canada and USA can put great teams together, but it could be a challenge for the PWHL to fill out dozens of teams. I think they need to be careful expanding too quickly. 6 teams is fine, if they expand too quickly the level of play could easily suffer.
  • The Olympic tournament only lasts a couple weeks, so you aren't demanding a lot from fans who are already invested in numerous other sports/leagues. This year the PWHL has a 24 game schedule, that seems pretty reasonable to me. They're looking at 32 next season though, and I think similar to expanding the number of teams, making the season longer and longer is risky. When you start getting to 30-40+ games, you're asking a lot of people.
  • The prestige of the Olympics and the format makes for good hockey and gives fans a reason to care. This new league has a long way to go to build their championship into a meaningful one. So I hope the owners of this are in it for the long haul, and aren't expecting this to take off quickly.

Last edited:

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
She is pulling the strings :cool:

Vler2mP.png

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I hope it goes well for the women, but I won't be watching either.

For all the reasons listed above, but mainly the reason of time. I barely have enough time to watch the Pens. In fact, I probably shouldn't spend as much time watching the Pens as I do. I've got too much else going on.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
It's kind of tough. I coach U18AAA girls hockey in Canada; We have a couple girls that have already committed to a few colleges, we have a few 14 year olds playing up that have committed to junior programs, and even our lower-end girls that are aging out are atleast trying to go play ACHA D2 or D1 somewhere. Not a single one of these girls ever talks about any women in the PWHL, or that play the game at a higher level except girls they played with, girls that played in OUR organization and moved on to be good players in the NCAA or nationally or girls from the area playing for Canada.

These girls care way more about having the same tape jobs and playing like Bedard and Easton Cowan and Zegras way more than anyone in the PWHL, NCAA, women's national team, etc...

They're good hockey players and know and love the game; they are aware that the men's game is played at a different level, they are humble about how they get worked by minor midget AA and AAA boys in summer skates. They've also seen half a dozen women's pro leagues come and go in the last 8 years and I'm sure to them this is probably just another one to toss on the pile.

I hope that the league does well, and that it finds its audience that allows it to sustain itself independently to give women a place to go actually have a professional career and a goal to work for like boys have with the NHL that won't disappear in a season or 2.

The challenge is creating long term interest and being able to get people to pay enough at the gate consistently to not make it a black hole investment. Around here, you can drive 15 minutes in any direction and watch a Jr B game that is played at a much higher level than the PWHL for less money. Drive 45 and you can find a Tier 2 Jr A game and in most big centers you can find an OHL game for the same price or less, minor midget AAA or a bar to watch the NHL. It's a tough sell to create repeat fans.

I will watch games if girls I've coached ever get games in the PWHL to support them, but unfortunately have popped on a game here or there on youtube to see how it looks, and I can't say I'll be prioritizing watching it over anything else.

Edit: tier 2 jr A, not tier 2 AA

Last edited:

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Maybe Phil Kessel could coach a team in PIT with Amanda making a 1-2 year come back to kick start things?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm more inclined to go watch a hockey or any other game live vs a lower level one on TV. That's just my personal preference

I'll go watch my local HS hockey games, but I'll never watch on TV. I'll go watch Juniors or our local ECHL team, but it's a dread watching on TV.
I do agree that LIVE hockey is so much better.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's kind of tough. I coach U18AAA girls hockey in Canada; We have a couple girls that have already committed to a few colleges, we have a few 14 year olds playing up that have committed to junior programs, and even our lower-end girls that are aging out are atleast trying to go play ACHA D2 or D1 somewhere. Not a single one of these girls ever talks about any women in the PWHL, or that play the game at a higher level except girls they played with, girls that played in OUR organization and moved on to be good players in the NCAA or nationally or girls from the area playing for Canada.

These girls care way more about having the same tape jobs and playing like Bedard and Easton Cowan and Zegras way more than anyone in the PWHL, NCAA, women's national team, etc...

They're good hockey players and know and love the game; they are aware that the men's game is played at a different level, they are humble about how they get worked by minor midget AA and AAA boys in summer skates. They've also seen half a dozen women's pro leagues come and go in the last 8 years and I'm sure to them this is probably just another one to toss on the pile.

I hope that the league does well, and that it finds its audience that allows it to sustain itself independently to give women a place to go actually have a professional career and a goal to work for like boys have with the NHL that won't disappear in a season or 2.

The challenge is creating long term interest and being able to get people to pay enough at the gate consistently to not make it a black hole investment. Around here, you can drive 15 minutes in any direction and watch a Jr B game that is played at a much higher level than the PWHL for less money. Drive 45 and you can find a Tier 2 AA game and in most big centers you can find an OHL game for the same price or less, minor midget AAA or a bar to watch the NHL. It's a tough sell to create repeat fans.

I will watch games if girls I've coached ever get games in the PWHL to support them, but unfortunately have popped on a game here or there on youtube to see how it looks, and I can't say I'll be prioritizing watching it over anything else.
Boy i think you hit the nail on the freaking head. I love that the girls you coach have that desire and play like NHLers. That is so cool. When I was young (5-10 years old) a girl played goalie on almost all of my teams and was awesome. I know she played some junior A. There was a girl goalie a long time ago almost pro. I think we will see it in our lifetime. But they want to play like Sid/Bedard/etc.

And my problem is people who arent' even watching this league will sit there and say "THE NHL SHOULD FUND THIS!" and I find that so odd. Then nobody goes to games or watches and sits there on their throne to say how people should support it. It's so weird to me. I can barely support the NHL and when NHL was on OLN, I didn't beg people to go support it.

Long term interest is key. But there isn't even a lot of long-term interest in hockey in general. The game is niche at best.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Professional women’s team sports with franchises, etc just won’t draw the same as professional men’s. The women’s team sports are at their best when representing their countries with the flag, Olympics, world cups, etc.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
I don’t think it’s hypocritical to wish the women the best of success while at the same time criticize the on-ice product.

If I were in town I’d certainly go, but unlike the international women’s games the intensity level just isn’t there yet, or to be fair it doesn’t manifest itself on a tv broadcast. The talent is there, but rivalries and storylines that drive the NHL to some degree take years to develop.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Watching the NHL Pens, for me, has been a chore these last two seasons. Heck, I think I watched the AHL Pens more last season. And I don't really watch any other NHL games other than the Pens. I still like hockey but this org the last few years has kinda sapped the fun out of it for me.

To me, the PWHL is a hockey product that I can enjoy without having any "major" commitments. Plus it's like me rooting for the underdog.

As far as which team I'd pick for my "favorite", it's gotta be Minnesota by default.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I hope the league does well because getting more girls interested means more fans and growth for the NHL down the line.

Sounds like Detroit and Pittsburgh may be in line for the next expansion.

Reactions: Dessloch

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Watching the NHL Pens, for me, has been a chore these last two seasons. Heck, I think I watched the AHL Pens more last season. And I don't really watch any other NHL games other than the Pens. I still like hockey but this org the last few years has kinda sapped the fun out of it for me.

To me, the PWHL is a hockey product that I can enjoy without having any "major" commitments. Plus it's like me rooting for the underdog.

As far as which team I'd pick for my "favorite", it's gotta be Minnesota by default.
Pretty much same. I spend way more time and effort watching HC Olomouc than the Pens these days because the product is more fun to watch, tickets are cheap, and I can root for a team of scrappy try hard nobodies for the most part who are playing a more interesting style.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Boy i think you hit the nail on the freaking head. I love that the girls you coach have that desire and play like NHLers. That is so cool. When I was young (5-10 years old) a girl played goalie on almost all of my teams and was awesome. I know she played some junior A. There was a girl goalie a long time ago almost pro. I think we will see it in our lifetime. But they want to play like Sid/Bedard/etc.

And my problem is people who arent' even watching this league will sit there and say "THE NHL SHOULD FUND THIS!" and I find that so odd. Then nobody goes to games or watches and sits there on their throne to say how people should support it. It's so weird to me. I can barely support the NHL and when NHL was on OLN, I didn't beg people to go support it.

Long term interest is key. But there isn't even a lot of long-term interest in hockey in general. The game is niche at best.

I can see the arguement for the NHL supporting it. Growing the PWHL grows the hockey audience in general which is going to be good for the NHL.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyhow there’s a lot of women’s sports which are more interesting to watch than men’s. The women’s judo matches are always more exciting, I recommend people watch those at the Olympics this year— just better throws, less reliance on bad technique and Ovechkin’s doctors, and more interesting viewing in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad