Post-Game Talk: Put another touchdown on the board! .. Wait what sport is this? (Leafs win 7-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Could this be the best powerplay unit. Ever?
Matthews is scoring 50. Maybe push 60.

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
Thing is you don't want Nylander to sit the year out. So we really only have until December 1st and that's the issue. The longer this goes on, the less I believe Nylander will get a long term deal or will be a leaf. Also I think Marner would take a bit less, only if Nylander were to get locked up at 6.5. I could see Marner being okay with 7.5 or 8

I think that it is very unlikely he won't be signed. However, IF they don't agree and Nylanders agent want more than the Leafs want they could just sign him for a little "too much" and put him in a position where he'd score a lot. Then they could just trade him next summer. There are many teams out there that would want to offer Nylander a little more than us. Also, it would probably make Marners contract better for us. If Nylander is already gone we "have" to sign Mitch and that drives the price up.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What's the point of this? Whatever we are today, will be even better with Nylander.
Hope Nylander watches the highlight real of why he should chase dump ins. Kapanen and Hyman were the highlights of the game for me. That is the kind of hockey I love. Matthews, Tavares and Marner will do their thing but when I see solid depth players make a difference, I am smiling

Reactions: dsred

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kadri looks like he might be due for a bit of a come down production wise. Just not really in the role to be producing 5 on 5 on a regular basis.

TBH his PP points were a big boost on the old unit. I was thinking, before the season, that we might only see 20-25 goals and 40-45 points from him this year. Which is still quite solid for his cap hit.

With Tavares and Matthews on the main unit, the plays are definitely not there as much for Kadri (so far)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Kadri - Nylander
Brown

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Dermott
Marincin - Ozhiganov
Hainsey - Holl

Andersen

Looks good to me :sarcasm:
The defense is garbage, but otherwise yes!

Dubas! Get on the line with Carolina and get us a top 4 defender to play with Rielly!!

Reactions: dsred

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Could this be the best powerplay unit. Ever?
Matthews is scoring 50. Maybe push 60.

I dunno man, team's adjust an structures clamp down.

BUT elite players adjust from that and still find a way to get it done. And with the Leafs' depth offensively there aren't many teams that can match up against it.

Hell of a start. Matthews looks locked in early.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Also - I want to add that Liljegren is sitting in the weeds on the Marlies getting top pairing minutes .. If he cracks the Leafs, his mobility and puck movement will be a sublime addition.

Reactions: kb and Notsince67

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Also - I want to add that Liljegren is sitting in the weeds on the Marlies getting top pairing minutes .. If he cracks the Leafs, his mobility and puck movement will be a sublime addition.

Not to mention Rasmus Sandin looked NHL ready in the pre-season. He can play in the NHL now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hope Nylander watches the highlight real of why he should chase dump ins. Kapanen and Hyman were the highlights of the game for me. That is the kind of hockey I love. Matthews, Tavares and Marner will do their thing but when I see solid depth players make a difference, I am smiling
This is how you win championships.
Fans can beat their chests all day about which star has more points and is better than your star but you need the complimentary players in there disrupting. Not on the perimeter. The non stars who forecheck, cycle, get leaned on, kill penalties.
And we still need to fix the D. Yes the offense is great fun but we are giving up far too many goals. That’s 18 in 4 games or 4.5 goals against/per game.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What is Nylanders subsequent years cap hit if we sign him to a 7.5M cap hit for 8 years on December 1.

Can we do this with Marner too? LOL.

nick942

Mar 15, 2011
Toronto
Kadri looks like he might be due for a bit of a come down production wise. Just not really in the role to be producing 5 on 5 on a regular basis.
If that third line continues to be Leivo and Brown then I agree. But I wonder if Kapanen continues to play well with Matthews could Nylander take Brown's spot on Kadri's wing. I think that could be an absolutely dominant third line.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

This makes no sense. You don't expect our current finesse players to chase dump ins but you're going to single out Nylander?

Anti-Nylander brigade strikes.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
GG tonight Leafs fans. We got outplayed and outscored. Tavares, Matthews, Marner omfg. That powerplay is just game over for the other team right when it starts.

And the struggle continues for the Stars against the Leafs oof.

your digital guy should have not have trolled that "Justin Beiber is a Leafs fan" on the jumbotron; Karma baby

;)

:sarcasm:

:laugh:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Best game Gauthier ever played at the NHL level.

We do this basically through a two-line threat. Add Willy to Kadri and it's another lethal line. We'll basically have elite forward talent on the ice 52 minutes per game, and most often more than one. Think what Pens did when the HBK line ran hot. That's us.
He actually looked bigger out there

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What is Nylanders subsequent years cap hit if we sign him to a 7.5M cap hit for 8 years on December 1.

Can we do this with Marner too? LOL.

Based on what Friedman said, it would be around 7.2M for years 2-8.

Assuming we sign him for 6.5M x 8 years, his cap hit is likely to actually be around 6.3M in years 2-6.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
7 is too much. Stop it.

Stop what? I said I was contemplating what effect giving Nylander 7 would have on Marner assuming Nylander racks up the points.

I never once claimed to hand Nylander 7. You guys are so touchy when it comes to this dude.

Reactions: stickty111
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
What is more impressive about this win is that the Leafs were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights while Dallas was on a cozy home stand.

And man was Bishop a tire fire tonight. Every shot was an adventure for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad