Pursue Kessel?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't understand all the Kessel hatred. I live in an area where Leafs games are broadcasted regularly and he's a really good hockey player. Fantastic wrist and snap shot and is often forced to generate offense on his own due to an inadequate center on his line. As for the whole "he's terrible defensively", well, he's gotten considerably better over the years. People also forget that Kessel in the last four seasons has scored 36, 30, 32 and 37 goals. He's only 25 and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. Put him with a playmaker like Giroux and he's a 45 to 50 goal scorer.

I think the disappointment in Kessel stems from the fact that he's pegged by others as a franchise player when he's a very good complimentary piece. He also had unrealistic expectations placed on him by the Toronto media as being a franchise savior. I'd have no problems with Kessel, but the cost to acquire him would be enormous.

SgtJoseph*

I hope Homer just stays the course and lets this team gel together.....Everyone is starting to come along in my opinion........I think Couts, Jake, Shenn, Briere etc are now just getting their legs under them and its just a matter of time before they start burying some in the back of the net........I like Kessel etc, but i do not think our club is nearly as bad or deficient as many on here think......Mostly juvenile knee jerk reactions going on here......Fire Lavy, fire Homer, get rid of this player, that player etc etc, all of which at this point in time will mess whith Chemistry that is just now starting to mix nicely........

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I hope Homer just stays the course and lets this team gel together.....Everyone is starting to come along in my opinion........I think Couts, Jake, Shenn, Briere etc are now just getting their legs under them and its just a matter of time before they start burying some in the back of the net........I like Kessel etc, but i do not think our club is nearly as bad or deficient as many on here think......Mostly juvenile knee jerk reactions going on here......Fire Lavy, fire Homer, get rid of this player, that player etc etc, all of which at this point in time will mess whith Chemistry that is just now starting to mix nicely........
I agree, but Hartnell's injury could keep the team out of the playoffs regardless of that developing chemistry. It just might not be enough. As much as Suter/Weber would have been a more than ideal plug for the hole in D, Kessel would be another case of overkill - not in a bad way but you're sacrificing something one way or another. Whether it's paying too much or swinging and missing altogether.

I want them to settle for something a little more moderate this time.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I don't understand all the Kessel hatred.

He's a great player, but..

I'd have no problems with Kessel, but the cost to acquire him would be enormous.

This proposal wasn't good enough.

The Flyers can ill afford to trade defense, so what is left? Forwards and picks.

Laughton is not a "top" prospect, but a promising one. If they want a stud in return, the Flyers do not have a lot to offer, perhaps Ghost, who they desperately need.

So, you're talking an NHL prospect, like Schenn, Simmonds, etc plus a pick.

Now we're getting into the territory of something that may work, like:

Simmonds OR Schenn + 1st for Kessel

There are good reasons to think that Schenn (brother just got here-- if the organization cares about keeping them together- I do not know) and Cooter (too valuable due his defense) won't be moved for a scoring winger.

Simmonds for Kessel + 1st is a downgrade for Toronto. So, you'd have to add a player like Read or another prospect. I would be highly against sending two forwards and a pick back for 1 guy. No doubt he would be amazing with Giroux though. The cupboard would be even more barren if something like Laughton + Cousins + 1st were sent for Kessel.

I imagine a franchise who has legitimate prospects to shed would be a better trade partner. Then it just becomes "top" prospect + pick for Kessel.

Last edited:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Kessel ain't worth that!
Besides Kessel isn't a replacement type player for Harts, need a power forward not a sniper.

The Flyers need a sniper and a finisher. The Flyers have a developing power forward in Wayne Simmonds and as you mentioned, Hartnell is a power forward, but it would be nice to have a real sniper on the team that can finish off those feather passes from Giroux. I'm not saying that Kessel is that guy, but it would certainly be nice to have a pure finisher and not just another two way forward that this roster seems to be full of.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
It's obvious that our only glaring weakness aside from PMD is top six wingers. Briere is used as a center at times and he hasn't put up an impressive regular season in quite a while. Schenn definitely isn't ready to produce numbers. Read is a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Voracek is Voracek. Hartnell is injured and even if he weren't his ceiling in a normal season is like 35/70'ish. Which is great if he manages to play at his absolute best but even then we have only one definite 30 goal guy (again, in a normal season) and a couple maybes if we're lucky in Giroux and Briere. Having only one guy on the roster, who is currently injured, of that kind of goal scoring caliber isn't good.

For those that aren't up to date, Dreger has reported that Nonis is taking Kessel offers into serious consideration. Also was reported it would only take something like a top four d and a top prospect or pick. That's not a lot.

Just seems like a perfect fit for me. We could use wingers and goal scorers. Kessel is a 40+ goal winger. What do you all think?

Personally I'd be willing to offer something like Laughton+Meszaros or Grossmann. Maybe a 2nd too.

Had issues last year, but the year before he was pretty impressive imo.

FlyingHigh28*

He's only 25 and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. Put him with a playmaker like Giroux and he's a 45 to 50 goal scorer.

But why would we need a 45-50 goal scorer when Wayne Simmonds will soon be in his prime and will be scoring 40 goals per year as you've predicted? :sarcasm:

Also, the great goalscorers in the game as of late have been peaking a lot earlier. You say the best is yet to come for Kessel, but that's debatable. After being in the NHL for 6 full seasons in fact, I highly doubt it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't understand all the Kessel hatred. I live in an area where Leafs games are broadcasted regularly and he's a really good hockey player. Fantastic wrist and snap shot and is often forced to generate offense on his own due to an inadequate center on his line. As for the whole "he's terrible defensively", well, he's gotten considerably better over the years. People also forget that Kessel in the last four seasons has scored 36, 30, 32 and 37 goals. He's only 25 and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. Put him with a playmaker like Giroux and he's a 45 to 50 goal scorer.

I think the disappointment in Kessel stems from the fact that he's pegged by others as a franchise player when he's a very good complimentary piece. He also had unrealistic expectations placed on him by the Toronto media as being a franchise savior. I'd have no problems with Kessel, but the cost to acquire him would be enormous.

He's really not that bad. I think people just look at what he was traded for and just bash based off that. Toronto has been awful his entire time there. I can't name 1 good center they've had in kessel's entire time there.

I honestly wouldn't want to trade for him. But if you put kessel on line with giroux I could see him consistently putting up 40-45 goals a year.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Kessel would be a great addition but this team just doesn't have any valuable spare pieces left for such a trade.

It's either our second year players taking the next step and start producing or help coming in via free agency next offseason.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
He is the laughing stock of Leaf fans and would be eaten alive in Philly. He would be seen as worse than Carter by Flyer fans.

I'm really hoping he screws the Leafs over by walking when he's a UFA. He's never been appreciated here, mostly because of what Burke gave up for him. Burke promised Leaf fans truculence and toughness and then brought over a goal scorer who isn't tough and until this year didn't play much defence. He's been villified ever since.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
To get Kessel you'd have to get rid of Coburn + and while he is a good player, I wouldn't be willing to do that just yet.

I personally don't see the chances of Lavy sticking around until next season likely because even if the team makes the playoffs he still won't adapt in the playoffs. I would want to wait to see this team under a new coach before deciding on any drastic changes. That is of course if he really is on the hot seat.

ClarkeRuled

Feb 20, 2012
Erie, Pennsylvania
I'd rather we just tank this season instead of trading one or two of our young guys. If we end up with a top 10 pick and sign one of the top free agents, we'd be better off IMO. Short season, anyway. Cup winner doesn't get full credit as far as I'm concerned.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'd love to trade B Schenn in a package for Kessel as well. Problem is that him and Luke are assumed to be a package deal now that they're together.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He has more upside than those gang of dolts. He is younger.

You are attached to that 5th are ya? Haha

He is younger. But unless we can rid ourselves of the cap hits of Lilja and Foster then I dont know if I trade for another bottom pairing guy. Mez comes back soon so you would have 3 defenseman sitting in the pressbox.
Fosters and Lilja's cap hit would count regardless of where they play(The Flyers or ADK) Lilja is on a 35+ deal so even tho he makes under 900k his cap hit still counts.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Voracek, Laughton, and a 1st should. Don't know if I'd even want to go that far.

Depends on where the first lands in the draft really. Anything in the bottom half I'd easily trade but anything top ten is a no no. Top 10 to 15 would be an iffy area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad