Pursue Kessel?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It's obvious that our only glaring weakness aside from PMD is top six wingers. Briere is used as a center at times and he hasn't put up an impressive regular season in quite a while. Schenn definitely isn't ready to produce numbers. Read is a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Voracek is Voracek. Hartnell is injured and even if he weren't his ceiling in a normal season is like 35/70'ish. Which is great if he manages to play at his absolute best but even then we have only one definite 30 goal guy (again, in a normal season) and a couple maybes if we're lucky in Giroux and Briere. Having only one guy on the roster, who is currently injured, of that kind of goal scoring caliber isn't good.

For those that aren't up to date, Dreger has reported that Nonis is taking Kessel offers into serious consideration. Also was reported it would only take something like a top four d and a top prospect or pick. That's not a lot.

Just seems like a perfect fit for me. We could use wingers and goal scorers. Kessel is a 40+ goal winger. What do you all think?

Personally I'd be willing to offer something like Laughton+Meszaros or Grossmann. Maybe a 2nd too.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
Trade our D? That is something we can't do.

Voracek and a pick maybe? I might consider that, but we can't give up D

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Trade our D? That is something we can't do.

Voracek and a pick maybe? I might consider that, but we can't give up D

Why not? Our weakness isn't in our number of d-men it's that they all play a similar style. We have five top four guys in Timonen, Coburn, Grossmann, Meszaros, and Schenn. Then we have a plethora of bottom pairing guys in Gustafsson, Syvret, MAB, Gervais, Foster, Lilja, and Walker.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Why not? Our weakness isn't in our number of d-men it's that they all play a similar style. We have five top four guys in Timonen, Coburn, Grossmann, Meszaros, and Schenn. Then we have a plethora of bottom pairing guys in Gustafsson, Syvret, MAB, Gervais, Foster, Lilja, and Walker.

But I think it comes down to, Meszaros doesnt have too much value, especially since he is currently hurt. So say you do get rid of Coburn or Grossmann or Schenn. Then we got a top 6 of:

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Gervias
Foster-Lilja

There is no way a team can function with a defense of that. You can't count on Meszaros not being injured since he is always injured.

Yukon Cornelius*

It's obvious that our only glaring weakness aside from PMD is top six wingers. Briere is used as a center at times and he hasn't put up an impressive regular season in quite a while. Schenn definitely isn't ready to produce numbers. Read is a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Voracek is Voracek. Hartnell is injured and even if he weren't his ceiling in a normal season is like 35/70'ish. Which is great if he manages to play at his absolute best but even then we have only one definite 30 goal guy (again, in a normal season) and a couple maybes if we're lucky in Giroux and Briere. Having only one guy on the roster, who is currently injured, of that kind of goal scoring caliber isn't good.

For those that aren't up to date, Dreger has reported that Nonis is taking Kessel offers into serious consideration. Also was reported it would only take something like a top four d and a top prospect or pick. That's not a lot.

Just seems like a perfect fit for me. We could use wingers and goal scorers. Kessel is a 40+ goal winger. What do you all think?

Personally I'd be willing to offer something like Laughton+Meszaros or Grossmann. Maybe a 2nd too.

No thank you! Kessel is the epitome of a streaky goal scorer. He's also lazy, defensively inept and easy to intimidate on the ice. (I can live with one Danny Briere not two though)

If we're looking to go after a top 6 forward that's fallen out of favour with his team and the league, then let's take a hard look at Ovechkin.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
The past calendar year Meszaros has dealt with back and shoulder injuries, plus an Achilles Tendon tear. Why would a team be interested in him as a center piece for their all star winger?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The past calendar year Meszaros has dealt with back and shoulder injuries, plus an Achilles Tendon tear. Why would a team be interested in him as a center piece for their all star winger?

Not so much about what they're interested in as what we can give. That's why I said maybe a 2nd rounder too.

Also it'd be nice to offer an opinion instead of just blasting others.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd be interested in Kessel if the price is right, but he is due a new contract at the same time as G and the other RFAs. Could complicate things or result in trading him somewhere else in a couple years.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Its an option to explore since it would give Giroux a sniper to work with for the foreseeable future. However, I think Toronto is going to be looking for multiple assets in return and I frankly don't see Mez being the centerpiece of the a deal. I thought about pursuing Kessel as well but I would rather wait until he hits free agency.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
if the Flyers are gonna target a RW that would cost around 6M or so, they need to target Perry first. lets see what happens with that before even thinking about Kessel. Perry would look much better on the top line than Kessel would.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Not so much about what they're interested in as what we can give. That's why I said maybe a 2nd rounder too.

Also it'd be nice to offer an opinion instead of just blasting others.

What they're interested in is every bit a part of the conversation as what we can give, because if what we can offer doesn't match up with what they're interested in you don't have any basis for trade discussion.

Meszaros has little trade value at this point due to the recent injuries he's been dealing with, and I don't see any way that the best deal the leafs can get for him is Laughton, Mez/Grossman and a fricken 2nd round pick.

FlyingHigh28*

I'd do it for Mesz + Voracek. Anything beyond that is no bueno.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012

I'd be ecstatic to get Kessel for a return of Laughton+Mesz. I don't think it realistically even starts talks with Toronto, though, personally. If I was Toronto I'd ask for Laughton+1st+ at least - and without knowing where our 1st is going to be this year I'd be very hesitant to go that route.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I don't think Toronto would consider Laughton a "top prospect". They'd want Couturier or Schenn. Mez has next to no value because of his injuries, plus there's no reason to trade away any defensmen right now.

Hartnell and Simmonds should help the scoring once they come back. And then we can pursue Perry in free agency if possible. If not, there are other forwards that we can go after. Like Horton.

Last edited:

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
given what they gave up to get him there is no way in hell they'd take laughton+any of our defenseman + any of our picks.

it's gonna take schenn and/or cooter and then some.

no thanks.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
if the Flyers are gonna target a RW that would cost around 6M or so, they need to target Perry first. lets see what happens with that before even thinking about Kessel. Perry would look much better on the top line than Kessel would.

I would take Perry over Kessel in a heartbeat! And you guys saying trade Coburn or Schenn are nuts, there of our best D men.

Schenn Bros Pizza*

Nothing worse than I'll give you my scraps for your star proposals.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Well, if what Dreger said is true, then they require a top prospect or a 1st, not a package of pieces that are of hypothetically equal value.

Pass on Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad