Pumping the tires on Motte

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sounds exactly like early Hansen.

You could have pulled that from a Jannik Hansen thread in his 23 or 24 yr old season.

I disagree. I remember making a point back in 2008-2009 that Hansen was underrated offensively and had outproduced Mason Raymond. I don't remember the discussion being the Hansen is a fringe NHL player or that he shouldn't be anywhere near the 3rd line.

Reactions: Canucks1096 and MS

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I disagree. I remember making a point back in 2008-2009 that Hansen was underrated offensively and had outproduced Mason Raymond. I don't remember the discussion being the Hansen is a fringe NHL player or that he shouldn't be anywhere near the 3rd line.
At 22? He was out producing Raymond? Don't remember that...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya in 08-09 Raymond had 23 points in 72 games, Hansen had 21 points in 55 games in lesser minutes and offensive opportunities.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I don't get the hate for this guy.

Yeah he's not going to wow you with anything out of a magic hat, but he works incredibly hard, and minus a few mental lapses every now and then, he's a great energy bottom-6 guy who can give the team a spark when the usual suspects can't get things going.

I've always liked what I've seen from Motte since he came to town. I do see a lot of Biega in him as well, but with the advantage that he's not a defenceman where you need a little bit of size to stick around full-time in the league.

Reactions: Jimbo57

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He's the very definition of a "Replacement Level Player", maybe a tad below. I like what he brings, but as soon as he stops bringing it, or gets at all pricey, he should be moved along.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If Motte can put up 25 pts and play gritty, hard and fast then id give him a 4th line winger spot sure.
But what if he's on the ice for 25 goals for and 40+ against? Will that matter or just the 25 goals for counts?
He's an energy 4th liner. Points really shouldn't be used to evaluate him (he's not going to put up many in any event)
exactly. energy and grit means nothing if you can't saw off the goals.

He came up before Raymond, you don't remember the Luongo playoff game with the poop problem? Where a player got elbowed, Luongo protested and then the winner went in? That player being elbowed was Hansen. He played 10 NHL playoff games before playing a regular season game.

This fanbase has an odd infatuation with depth players (Motte, Gaunce, Granlund, Leipsic, Sbisa, Biega)

a player like this should not have this type of thread lol

"pumping the brakes on Tyler Motte"

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i should have added "and is a plus player"
Did you think he was good last year?

Because what I asked is pretty much what he did. 2 out of every 3 goals scored at 5 on 5 when Motte is on the ice go into his net.

Anyways, done pumping the brakes....you knew this thread was coming when the OP was pumping the virtues of Tim Schaller in the GDT the night previous.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Did you think he was good last year?

Because what I asked is pretty much what he did. 2 out of every 3 goals scored at 5 on 5 when Motte is on the ice go into his net.

Anyways, done pumping the brakes....you knew this thread was coming when the OP was pumping the virtues of Tim Schaller in the GDT the night previous.
I dont know....
I think he's a serviceable 4th liner. He doesn't move the needle one way or another.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I don't get the hate for this guy.
I've seen like 10 minutes of NHL action this season so I don't have a strong opinion on Motte per se, but I think a lot of the natural disinclination I have to buy in is that he's another one of these guys that you just sort of expect management and the coaching staff to pump up needlessly (because they still want to justify a trade or, in Green's case, he cares more about the way the player plays than the results) so you take any praise with a grain of salt. It was the same thing with, e.g., Granlund, and prospect-wise it's the same thing with, say, Brisebois. It's just kind of hard to keep an open mind when you assume you're being fed some misinformation.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Do you just not trust what I'm saying?

Tyler Motte - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

There is nothing not to know, it's right there.

21 for 37 against.
I get that, but there's a lot of other things that can affect goals for vs goals against.
A really good player may still put up 21 / 37, so you can't use that stat to say one way or another if he's more or less effective than the average 4th liner.
But as i previously stated, my general thought is that he isn't effective, and that stat doesn't contradict this

Reactions: 420Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well they are both absolute trash. Perhaps Biega as he could make an outlet pass.

So you admit that Biega is better than Gudbranson. At $4 million less.

So how am I wrong when I spent two years saying that Biega should be playing ahead of Gudbranson? And that playing Gudbranson instead is both costing us games and wasting a ton of cap space that could have been used on players that actually made the team better?

If we'd played Biega and Gaunce last season instead of Gudbranson and Schaller we'd have been a better hockey team and saved $6 million to spend elsewhere. Depth guys at the bottom of your roster are fungible assets who don't move the needle at all, and you want to be playing home-grown guys who are as cheap as possible to create roster flexibility further up your lineup where it actually matters. Instead we're filling our depth spots with overpaid garbage and marginalizing cheap assets who could have done the job just as well.

That's what I'm arguing. And if you think I'm saying 'HURR DURR GAUNCE IS A SUPERSTAR' you're missing the point entirely.

I don't like Tyler Motte very much. But if we replaced Motte last summer with Darren Helm or some crap at $4 million, I'd be defending the hell out of the fact that Tyler Motte at $800k should have continued to be on our roster in that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad