Pumping the tires on Motte

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Motte is one of those guys who looks good out there. Skates hard, plays tough, gives 100% effort... BUT, he doesn't put up much offense, is too small to hit/hurt guys or even keep them honest AND he's a (-) player YTD.... so while he does pass the eye -test, he doesnt seem to actually deliver.

Reactions: 420Canuck

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hansen was also injured a lot.

He had a season of 16-23-39 and others that projected out at 17-30-47 (lockout year) and 27-23-50. Outside of the Tortorella year, he averaged 40 points/82 GP from 2011-2017.

Tyler Motte has averaged 15 points/82 games for his career.

Hansen was at 107gms, 15g, 36 pts thru his 23 yr old season.

Kinda disingenuous to compare Hansen prime average scoring rate to Motte's 23 and under seasons.

Motte is very comparable to the type of player Hansen was at the same age. Me stating the comparison wasn't point based.

Hansen continued to get better and became a better scorer later in his career when no one expected it. Then his career yr... Thank you Daniel and Henrik.

Motte still has some development and experience to bank ahead of him...

Sorry meant 22 goals and 39 points, plus 47 point pace in the lockout shortened season. You crack me up, hate hyperbole, then use it yourself.
You do realize YOU wrote the hyperbolic sentence I did not say, and and ranted against THAT. There's a term given to that style of argument...

Jannik Hansen put up 199 points in 458 games from age 24-30 on the Canucks. That's a 36 point average. Unbelievable we're seeing productive members of the greatest era in team history compared to guys like Motte.

Nobody forgets that Hansen didn't have the greatest finish, if he did, he'd have been a 1st liner. I don't hear any rumblings from the dressing room that Motte is a practice beast like we used to with Jannik. Teammates always remarked that he was very skilled in practice but couldn't finish in the games.

Motte has a good motor in short stretches, Hansen had one of the highest running motors in recent memory for a Canucks player IMO.

:scared: That's how I picture you when read this paragraph.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Any eye test that is favourable to Motte must ignore puck skills. Especially, passing skills.

He's filled his role quite respectably in his first five games this season. Can he keep it up and be a capable 4th-line winger and 2nd-unit PKer? Or will he fall off like he did last season?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
On a scale where Tanner Glass is a 1 and Jannik Hansen is a 100, Tyler Motte is about a 3.

Except Motte would be lucky to have an NHL career comparable to that of Glass'. Motte has a long way to go.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Motte is one of those guys who looks good out there. Skates hard, plays tough, gives 100% effort... BUT, he doesn't put up much offense, is too small to hit/hurt guys or even keep them honest AND he's a (-) player YTD.... so while he does pass the eye -test, he doesnt seem to actually deliver.

Sounds exactly like early Hansen.

You could have pulled that from a Jannik Hansen thread in his 23 or 24 yr old season.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Hansen was at 107gms, 15g, 36 pts thru his 23 yr old season.

Kinda disingenuous to compare Hansen prime average scoring rate to Motte's 23 and under seasons.

Motte is very comparable to the type of player Hansen was at the same age. Me stating the comparison wasn't point based.

Hansen continued to get better and became a better scorer later in his career when no one expected it. Then his career yr... Thank you Daniel and Henrik.

Motte still has some development and experience to bank ahead of him...

You do realize YOU wrote the hyperbolic sentence I did not say, and and ranted against THAT. There's a term given to that style of argument...

:scared: That's how I picture you when read this paragraph.

I think the comparison is asinine and inferring they're similar is hyperbolic.
Motte was a sub 0.5ppg AHLer, Jannik Hansen was 0.86ppg in that league at 21.

One guy had to break into a quality team and find a role, Motte is breaking into one of the worst teams in the NHL on the 4th line, where he puts up poor results.

Not every player can play with Henrik and Daniel either, remember when they tried to put Jake there?

I just don't see what you see with Motte to suggest he could be a Hansen-like player other than they're both right handed and fast.

Jannik Hansen was an even strength beast from 2010 onwards for this team, nothing I've seen from Motte to this point suggests anything close.

We saw 20 goal seasons from Hansen?

Did you tune out in 2015-16?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Sounds exactly like early Hansen.

You could have pulled that from a Jannik Hansen thread in his 23 or 24 yr old season.
Huh? Hansen at 22 put up 21 points in 55 games or 31 point pace in 42% dzone starts and broke even on shot attempts. 50% GF

Motte at 23 just put up 16 points in 74 and got absolutely caved in on the shot attempt clock. 36% GF

That MS comparison to Tanner Glass definitely seems more apt.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think the comparison is asinine and inferring they're similar is hyperbolic.
Motte was a sub 0.5ppg AHLer, Jannik Hansen was 0.86ppg in that league at 21.

One guy had to break into a quality team and find a role, Motte is breaking into one of the worst teams in the NHL on the 4th line, where he puts up poor results.

Not every player can play with Henrik and Daniel either, remember when they tried to put Jake there?

I just don't see what you see with Motte to suggest he could be a Hansen-like player other than they're both right handed and fast.

Jannik Hansen was an even strength beast from 2010 onwards for this team, nothing I've seen from Motte to this point suggests anything close.

Did you tune out in 2015-16?
Don't think you know what hyperbollic means.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Motte is not NHL caliber but he skates really hard and seems to do a lot. Yes there are stretches where he legitimately plays well but he can’t and will never be able to keep it up. Honestly any NHL/AHL tweeter will have good stretches if you play them long enough. It’s not a consistency issue it’s a talent issue. The guy just doesn’t have it.

If you called up Zack MacEwen and played him for all 82 games he would have stretches where he gets the bounces/opportunities and produces good results. Doesn’t make him an NHLer.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Motte is not NHL caliber but he skates really hard and seems to do a lot. Yes there are stretches where he legitimately plays well but he can’t and will never be able to keep it up. Honestly any NHL/AHL tweeter will have good stretches if you play them long enough. It’s not a consistency issue it’s a talent issue. The guy just doesn’t have it.

If you called up Zack MacEwen and played him for all 82 games he would have stretches where he gets the bounces/opportunities and produces good results. Doesn’t make him an NHLer.
NHL Jobs >no nhl job

that’s the determination for an NHLer

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It’s ironic to have this come up today because Sbisa is the poster boy for this this phenomenon. Guy has the tools and “looks” good on the ice (good skater, hard worker etc) but at the end of the day he isn’t NHL caliber. Regardless, he doesn’t get benched/demoted for his poor play, at least not indefinitely. Pedigree, quality of team, injuries and effort (on and off the ice) are obviously major factors here. Over the course of the season Sbisa would go on runs where he’s physical, plays solid defense, and even chips on offensively and there would always be claims that he turned a corner but he would inevitably always fall back to earth. Now all of a sudden Sbisa has collected enough NHL games that teams value his “NHL experience” and still believe that he can be the player he showcases a few times a year. It’s a cycle that keeps legitimately bad players in the league.

teams will almost always choose the “proven NHLer” over the journeyman even if all of the evidence points to the later being a more effective player.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Motte is essentially Alex Biega at forward. Fast aggressive on pucks limited in talent.
Teams need role players. If he keeps getting better
he can be a important part on a good team.
Not sure why people would call a guy who is currently playing well on a 4th line a non NHLer or throw dirt on him?

Reactions: Nomobo

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If Motte can put up 25 pts and play gritty, hard and fast then id give him a 4th line winger spot sure.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Motte is essentially Alex Biega at forward. Fast aggressive on pucks limited in talent.
Teams need role players. If he keeps getting better
he can be a important part on a good team.
Not sure why people would call a guy who is currently playing well on a 4th line a non NHLer or throw dirt on him?
He’s a 4th liner you got it. Like Alex Biega in that he brings energy but not a player you should play 82 games a season.

you nailed it.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
If you understood, it probably would.

Who was a better player who contributed more to our chances of winning games last year, Alex Biega or Erik Gudbranson?
Well they are both absolute trash. Perhaps Biega as he could make an outlet pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad