Pulled over for displaying a Sens logo

RingoCalamity

Oct 25, 2006
If you didn't get a ticket and weren't committing any obvious infractions, the sticker was probably just an excuse to pull you over and see what's up. I'm not sure how the HTA reads there but here in Newfoundland, we can pull over vehicles to check license/registration/insurance/sobriety. However, it isn't that way everywhere - some places you need probable cause to pull over a car, however chintzy, and that sticker could be it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
fair enough, I just think they should all be. I see no practical point in having a cover for a license plate, that outweighs the fact that they hinder the ability to make out a plate. I get that a lot of people (assuming yourself of course) that get them probably do not have the intent of causing deception, and that they like them for aesthetics...I just feel that given that driving is one of the biggest activities we engage in that leaves it open to causing harm to another's person or property, I think licence plates should be unobstructed. Just my personal opinion

And just so i'm clear I'm not talking about the plate outlines people have, but the plexiglass stuff that covers the full plate.

The reason i have my plate covers is that i believe it prevents a bit of break down of the plate....had mine for 12 years now and they still look brand new, have a few buddies with plates half the age that are starting to rust out. Also they are personalized Sens ones.....soooo i wanna keep those bad boys clean lol

I forgot to add to my first post i have had these covers for ten years since and have never had issues. To be honest the only time in my driving career i have been pulled over was when i had a sports car, not even pulled over once in the generic cars i had before or since.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
If you didn't get a ticket and weren't committing any obvious infractions, the sticker was probably just an excuse to pull you over and see what's up. I'm not sure how the HTA reads there but here in Newfoundland, we can pull over vehicles to check license/registration/insurance/sobriety. However, it isn't that way everywhere - some places you need probable cause to pull over a car, however chintzy, and that sticker could be it.

well, the Criminal Code is the same throughout Canada, as it the Charter, so a violation of your rights in NFLD would be the same here one would hope.

as for the OP, it apparently is against the law where he is from to have the sticker.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Sounds like you looked a little suspicious. Did you have your hoodie on in the store?

Or maybe the officer remembered seeing this:

http://wivb.com/2014/07/22/suspects-use-stolen-credit-card/

Rofl - if it was a red blazer then maybe :) Did not see this before - lol'ing now

The reason i have my plate covers is that i believe it prevents a bit of break down of the plate....had mine for 12 years now and they still look brand new, have a few buddies with plates half the age that are starting to rust out. Also they are personalized Sens ones.....soooo i wanna keep those bad boys clean lol

I forgot to add to my first post i have had these covers for ten years since and have never had issues. To be honest the only time in my driving career i have been pulled over was when i had a sports car, not even pulled over once in the generic cars i had before or since.

Anyone who uses plate covers are just asking for trouble. They are typically designed to scramble license plate scanners, so if the scanner can't get a read on your plate it will notify the officer who will pull you over anyway.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
You can't see out your window if you have a gigantic sticker there. And the fact that cars come with mirrors lead me to believe that you're supposed to use the damn things.

Yeah like those rear view mirrors transport trucks, busses, cube vans and white-cargo vans have eh?

Oh wait.

Because the side mirrors are bigger in order to compensate for it. I doubt OP had 18-wheeler side mirrors on his Chevy Blazer.

They don't compensate for it. Physics doesn't work that way. There is a blind-spot behind the vehicle when there is no rear view mirror.

Anyone who uses plate covers are just asking for trouble. They are typically designed to scramble license plate scanners, so if the scanner can't get a read on your plate it will notify the officer who will pull you over anyway.
Only specific covers do such a thing, the majority of them, like the ones you buy at crappy tire, are just plastic that don't scramble scanners.

RingoCalamity

Oct 25, 2006
well, the Criminal Code is the same throughout Canada, as it the Charter, so a violation of your rights in NFLD would be the same here one would hope.

as for the OP, it apparently is against the law where he is from to have the sticker.

It's Highway Traffic Act, not Criminal Code, that gives the authority to pull over just to check for that stuff. HTA is provincial legislation and so varies from province to province.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Gotta have 4WD and good tires in the northeast. I'm leaving work and have to go home to get my Sens uni for the BSens game. This means going through Cazenovia, so here goes. If I post pics in the BSens thread then you'll know.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
It's Highway Traffic Act, not Criminal Code, that gives the authority to pull over just to check for that stuff. HTA is provincial legislation and so varies from province to province.

I don't think we're talking the same thing, and think we can agree. You're right the HTA varies from province to province...what I was saying/meant to say was that in terms of 'probable cause', it is nationally defined.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
He just said it was a vehicle equipment violation. I think it's kind of like calling for a stick measurement - yeah the rule is there but you've got to be a real MTL Canadien to make that call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad