Pulled over for displaying a Sens logo

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Stopped at the Sunoco mart in Cazenovia on my way home from work to pick up an A&W Cream Soda:

IcYM5Ye.jpg

On my way in there's a Caz police car across the street:

xj5ez7X.jpg

I assume running radar so no worries I'm not speeding. Get back in the car and begin to exit the parking lot from the far side:

1pvT9es.jpg

Cop starts to inch out. I stop at the stop sign longer than usual to take off my hoodie and there's no one behind me. I finally pull out and start home. Sure enough the cop pulls out and there's one car between us. I'm watching in the rear view mirror and even though i'm not doing anything wrong (license / registration are clean so not like he scanned my plate and there's something suspicious) but i just can't help but wonder why he pulled out at exactly the same time as me, especially after stopping for a long period of time at the stop sign. After about 30 secs the lights flip on! Ok...is he pulling over the guy behind me? Nope - passes him and he's not even driving my speed but I see him and pull over figuring he's passing me for some emergency? Nope! Comes right up behind me and does the ol' blinding spotlight into my rear view mirror!

c2ntG00.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what the problem could be. Interior lights on, hands on the wheel, holding the drivers license, registration, and insurance he introduces himself. What did I do to get pulled over?

srpk3QE.jpg

That big bad Sens logo in the rear window is now, after 2+ years of driving through Caz, past state troopers and police all throughout upstate NY (including a few trips to the O and back) this is now all of a sudden a "vehicle equipment violation":

Sabres fans - COME ON! Get a life! You gotta pick on a guy driving a 99 Chevy Blazer??? Seriously? Pathetic.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
If that is illegal than how can some company vans have the rear windshield completely painted over?

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Well there is some new founded respect there! :thumbu:

For me, I live in TO. I will wear Sens attire quite freely and openly and if anyone wants to challenge me on that one-on-one, good luck to them!! :laugh: It is "Go Sens Go", even in the office! However I'd think twice about sporting a giant Sens logo in the heart of Laffs nation as I know my car would eventually (more probably) get vandalised sooner then later.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Well technically it would be illegal in Ottawa too. Anything that isn't completely stock on your car goes against the Highway Traffic Act. Probably the same in NY. Of course most officers don't actually enforce that rule. Seems you ran into a ******.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well technically it would be illegal in Ottawa too. Anything that isn't completely stock on your car goes against the Highway Traffic Act. Probably the same in NY. Of course most officers don't actually enforce that rule. Seems you ran into a ******.

So bumper stickers are illegal?

Custom painted ads for company cars are illegal?

How is a sticker worse than a van that has the 2 split back doors with no windows?

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
He didn't give me a ticket - let me off with a "warning" - but I'm not taking it off. However, I may have to avoid route 20 through Caz on my way to work now. This was late last night (sorry some pics are in daytime - used google maps but the pullover pic was current) so assuming cops work 12 hour shifts it may be fair to assume he works 12 noon - 12 midnight. I may be able to go in through that route but then take route 5 to Oneida and then south back to my pad in Morrisville. I don't know - if he catches me again am I going to be considered a second-time offender and treated more threateningly? I don't know - just so enamored by this whole thing. One of about 6 cars in total in the CNY area that sport a Sens logo and now I suddenly am ordered to take it off - just can't believe my luck and also frustrated at how this may turn out going forward.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
So bumper stickers are illegal?

Custom painted ads for company cars are illegal?

How is a sticker worse than a van that has the 2 split back doors with no windows?

Probably some stupid law like if the car is used for business its legal but if its personel use its illegal

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Probably some stupid law like if the car is used for business its legal but if its personel use its illegal

Make some dumb sens army card with your information and say its your sens army car for your job.

Get pulled over, show em your business card with the exact same logo as the car on the card. Could work? Lol

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Take off the sticker and see if you can get a local artist to do some commissioned work turning your entire tailgate into a Sens work of art!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Not gonna lie if I was a police officer I would be a big abuse of authority to habs and leaf fans.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I call shenanigans.

Everyone knows that in America, seeing a cop flash his lights behind you is the signal to hit the gas and go on a countrywide chase, with the 6 o'clock news choppers filming the whole thing.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Make some dumb sens army card with your information and say its your sens army car for your job.

Get pulled over, show em your business card with the exact same logo as the car on the card. Could work? Lol

If done well, this could be brilliant.

Or get you arrested.

Not gonna lie if I was a police officer I would be a big abuse of authority to habs and leaf fans.

Well aren't you a gentleman. :laugh:

I call shenanigans.

Everyone knows that in America, seeing a cop flash his lights behind you is the signal to hit the gas and go on a countrywide chase, with the 6 o'clock news choppers filming the whole thing.

Main would have but he only had a quarter-tank.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
That big bad Sens logo in the rear window is now, after 2+ years of driving through Caz .... all of a sudden a "vehicle equipment violation":

If you had been driving 40 over the speed limit for the last two years, would it be okay because you never got stopped? Or would speeding "all of a sudden" be illegal?

Stickers like that block your view, and it's something I wish cops would enforce more regularly - these arseholes going around with huge decals on their back windshields can't possibly be able to see behind them. Now obviously your comparatively smaller sticker is less of a danger than the picture I linked to, but that's why you just got a warning - that would've been a ridiculous thing to get a ticket over.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
If you had been driving 40 over the speed limit for the last two years, would it be okay because you never got stopped? Or would speeding "all of a sudden" be illegal?

Stickers like that block your view, and it's something I wish cops would enforce more regularly - these arseholes going around with huge decals on their back windshields can't possibly be able to see behind them. Now obviously your comparatively smaller sticker is less of a danger than the picture I linked to, but that's why you just got a warning - that would've been a ridiculous thing to get a ticket over.

You know what's dangerous, looking out your review mirror all the time.

Wait, are you being sarcastic?? If not, it is the stupidest post that I read today.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
You know what's dangerous, looking out your review mirror all the time.

Wait, are you being sarcastic?? If not, it is the stupidest post that I read today.

You can't see out your window if you have a gigantic sticker there. And the fact that cars come with mirrors lead me to believe that you're supposed to use the damn things.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You can't see out your window if you have a gigantic sticker there. And the fact that cars come with mirrors lead me to believe that you're supposed to use the damn things.

Aren't some of those decals easy to see thru from the inside of the vehicle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad