Pulled over for displaying a Sens logo

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
You can't see out your window if you have a gigantic sticker there. And the fact that cars come with mirrors lead me to believe that you're supposed to use the damn things.

There are box trucks with like 20 ft beds behind them, with no back window to see out of. The side mirrors are all you need.

If the stickers were on the side or windshield then ya.

Being pull over for that is ridiculous. When you could go rent a moving truck 3 times the size of his SUV, and there isn't even a back window for any sticker.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
He was probably mad that Main does not stream the Bingo games anymore.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
If you had been driving 40 over the speed limit for the last two years, would it be okay because you never got stopped? Or would speeding "all of a sudden" be illegal?

Stickers like that block your view, and it's something I wish cops would enforce more regularly - these arseholes going around with huge decals on their back windshields can't possibly be able to see behind them. Now obviously your comparatively smaller sticker is less of a danger than the picture I linked to, but that's why you just got a warning - that would've been a ridiculous thing to get a ticket over.

It is NOT illegal under the Highway Traffic Act to have a blocked rear view in Ontario. I know this for two reasons:

1) Instead of just talking ****, I used google to look up the law
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900611_e.htm
2) I use to work for the city and was given a vehicle that had a rear with no windows. I didn't need a special license for this vehicle and the vehicle was a City fleet vehicle. Highly doubt the City would purchase fleet vehicles that contradict the laws of the province.

to the OP, based on the little bit of research I did, in NY State you guys are prohibited from having anything not authorized by the DMV on the rear window. sorry dude. maybe go into the DMV and ask them about it, I've seen decals that are semi see-thru (just a white Sens outline).

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
It is NOT illegal under the Highway Traffic Act to have a blocked rear view in Ontario. I know this for two reasons:

1) Instead of just talking ****, I used google to look up the law
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900611_e.htm
2) I use to work for the city and was given a vehicle that had a rear with no windows. I didn't need a special license for this vehicle and the vehicle was a City fleet vehicle. Highly doubt the City would purchase fleet vehicles that contradict the laws of the province.

to the OP, based on the little bit of research I did, in NY State you guys are prohibited from having anything not authorized by the DMV on the rear window. sorry dude. maybe go into the DMV and ask them about it, I've seen decals that are semi see-thru (just a white Sens outline).

So the cop wasn't a disgruntled Sabers fan haha...Maybe they made that law in NY because of the offensive Calvin and Hobbs pissing on logos stickers.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Because the side mirrors are bigger in order to compensate for it. I doubt OP had 18-wheeler side mirrors on his Chevy Blazer.

Some supercars and sportscars have either no rear window or a tiny window. They sure as hell don't have huge side mirrors. In fact, some only have 1 side mirror on the driver side.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I drove a box truck ford F450 same mirrors as the F150.....I wanted bigger mirrors though.

Pretty sure you can get bigger mirrors on trucks. I live close enough to the Ottawa River to see a lot of trucks towing around their boats in the summer, and most trucks have those extra large and spaced out side mirrors to see around what they're towing.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Pretty sure you can get bigger mirrors on trucks. I live close enough to the Ottawa River to see a lot of trucks towing around their boats in the summer, and most trucks have those extra large and spaced out side mirrors to see around what they're towing.

Oh for sure...the company I use to drive for wouldn't shell out the extra money for bigger mirrors, they'd rather you back into things..

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Today I'm working from home, but going to gf's family for dinner at 5. That means I'll go north to I-90 and take the thruway over to Syracuse...a bit out of the way but will avoid Cazenovia. Then I'm staying over, going into work tomorrow (where I can park my car anywhere in the city without being harassed) and then driving back through I-90 to Utica to see Bingo take on the Comets. In all cases I will be avoiding Cazenovia and the officer who's name I shall not mention.

I'm concerned that if I do go through Caz and he pulls me over he'll be like LOOK I TOLD YOU ALREADY ABOUT THIS but my other option is to keep taking the north route which is added mileage and time. If not, I may have a sticker-removing ceremony at some point...a horrible, dark day that will be. I don't know - I'm really frustrated at this whole situation and my luck.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Replace it with a Sens bumper sticker.

BTW when you see commercial vehicles with stuff written on the back windows, those are transparent from the inside. They can see right through them.

SenatorArmy*

If they keep playing the way they do it might actually be worth considering making it a crime to display the logo. M I RITE

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Today I'm working from home, but going to gf's family for dinner at 5. That means I'll go north to I-90 and take the thruway over to Syracuse...a bit out of the way but will avoid Cazenovia. Then I'm staying over, going into work tomorrow (where I can park my car anywhere in the city without being harassed) and then driving back through I-90 to Utica to see Bingo take on the Comets. In all cases I will be avoiding Cazenovia and the officer who's name I shall not mention.

I'm concerned that if I do go through Caz and he pulls me over he'll be like LOOK I TOLD YOU ALREADY ABOUT THIS but my other option is to keep taking the north route which is added mileage and time. If not, I may have a sticker-removing ceremony at some point...a horrible, dark day that will be. I don't know - I'm really frustrated at this whole situation and my luck.

I agree, just get a bumper sticker, than make a point to drive through Caz even when you don't have too. Show the cop that you won't let him intimidate ya. you could also get one of those magnet decals and throw it on the trunk just when you go through Caz, lol.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Came in here thinking this would be a fun light hearted story where a cop pulled you over for a high five or something....alas it is not. No idea what out of province rules are like but i got pulled over and ticketed for my clear license plate covers (purchased at the cash at canadian tire) when i was younger. I had a pretty sleek little rocket car upgraded to the nines performance wise at the time so i imagine that played into it. The cop claimed that essentially any non factory exterior mod to a vehicle was illegal including stickers and in this case a license plate cover....LOL I asked him why they would not go after the corporations openly selling these to the public....he simply walked away laughing.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Came in here thinking this would be a fun light hearted story where a cop pulled you over for a high five or something....alas it is not. No idea what out of province rules are like but i got pulled over and ticketed for my clear license plate covers (purchased at the cash at canadian tire) when i was younger. I had a pretty sleek little rocket car upgraded to the nines performance wise at the time so i imagine that played into it. The cop claimed that essentially any non factory exterior mod to a vehicle was illegal including stickers and in this case a license plate cover....LOL I asked him why they would not go after the corporations openly selling these to the public....he simply walked away laughing.

Well, he's certainly wrong about the stickers now, as for license plate covers I'm not sure, but I think they should be illegal. They serve no practical purpose and I find they make it harder to see the plate. I see your point about buying them at Canadian Tire, but unfortunately that wouldn't be an excuse in court. I hope you brought it back to CT.

I read other stuff about tinted windows, some provinces have an objective way of determining whether your tint is too dark, and others use the subjective opinion of a police officer (eak, scary though)

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation

I suggest you replace the Sens decal with one of Calvin and Hobbs pissing on a Sabres logo. And then, for good measure, get a new coat of Sens colours paint with logos on your car. HF boards will be happy to contribute to this.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, he's certainly wrong about the stickers now, as for license plate covers I'm not sure, but I think they should be illegal. They serve no practical purpose and I find they make it harder to see the plate. I see your point about buying them at Canadian Tire, but unfortunately that wouldn't be an excuse in court. I hope you brought it back to CT.

I read other stuff about tinted windows, some provinces have an objective way of determining whether your tint is too dark, and others use the subjective opinion of a police officer (eak, scary though)

There are some license covers specifically designed to make the plates unreadable for those remote cameras at certain intersections (you know, the cameras that will send out automatic fines when you're caught crossing the white line on a red). Those covers are illegal.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
If you had been driving 40 over the speed limit for the last two years, would it be okay because you never got stopped? Or would speeding "all of a sudden" be illegal?

Stickers like that block your view, and it's something I wish cops would enforce more regularly - these arseholes going around with huge decals on their back windshields can't possibly be able to see behind them. Now obviously your comparatively smaller sticker is less of a danger than the picture I linked to, but that's why you just got a warning - that would've been a ridiculous thing to get a ticket over.

Oh please. Semis, box trucks, and many vans dont even have rear view mirrors.

You only need 1 mirror on a vehicle for it to be legal here. Hell, I dont even have side mirrors all summer.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Last night I made it through Caz without any issue. I'm at work and would just jump on I-90 to go to the BSens game. But....of course I forgot my jersey for tonight's game, so NOW I have to drive BACK to my place in Mo'ville and that would only logically take me back through Caz. I keep shooting myself in the foot. I'm going to see if I can gently remove it so I can re-apply or something. I hate living in fear like this.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Last night I made it through Caz without any issue. I'm at work and would just jump on I-90 to go to the BSens game. But....of course I forgot my jersey for tonight's game, so NOW I have to drive BACK to my place in Mo'ville and that would only logically take me back through Caz. I keep shooting myself in the foot. I'm going to see if I can gently remove it so I can re-apply or something. I hate living in fear like this.

:laugh:

First it's illegal sens' decals on the car. Next it'll be jaywalking.

I expect to see your mug on Americas Most Wanted by Xmas.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
There are some license covers specifically designed to make the plates unreadable for those remote cameras at certain intersections (you know, the cameras that will send out automatic fines when you're caught crossing the white line on a red). Those covers are illegal.

fair enough, I just think they should all be. I see no practical point in having a cover for a license plate, that outweighs the fact that they hinder the ability to make out a plate. I get that a lot of people (assuming yourself of course) that get them probably do not have the intent of causing deception, and that they like them for aesthetics...I just feel that given that driving is one of the biggest activities we engage in that leaves it open to causing harm to another's person or property, I think licence plates should be unobstructed. Just my personal opinion

And just so i'm clear I'm not talking about the plate outlines people have, but the plexiglass stuff that covers the full plate.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

I'm sure someone here has a spare bumper sticker they could send ya down man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad