Recalled/Assigned: Puljujarvi & Yamamoto Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yup
Sure different optics for me. I just went with the flow... assuming he was garbage because of PP etc.
Maybe his hands were tied?

I have to admit that I was big time down on Woodcroft but was always surprised that the players seem to have good things to say about him. But we have a new staff and the pp seems pretty much the same. Woodcroft has the kids playing key roles and thriving. Maybe he was not the problem after all.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I watch a lot of VAN games.

They work MUCH harder than a lot of players on Edmonton's roster. Look much more eager

I've watched my fair share of Canuck games as well being as I live on the Island, and one thing that's stuck out for me is that the Canucks have been catching teams napping a bit. It seems like a lot of their opponents come into the game thinking it's going to be an easy 2 points, only to find out they are very wrong about that. Their challenge will be if they can maintain this as they get further into the season, and they start to lose the element of surprise and teams start playing with more intensity as the playoff drives ramp up.

The Canucks also had absolutely zero expectations on them going into this year, so they go into each game with pretty much no pressure. It's a lot easier to play fast and loose in that type of environment.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Going to be really interesting to see what kind of production Jesse will put up in Bakersfield.

I have a feeling Yamamoto will make the transition quite easily and put up a lot of points in AHL once he gets his feet wet. Jesse I'm not so sure about, but I'm hoping he can prove everyone wrong and light the lamp consistently.

Agreed, I could see Yamamoto being a strong offensive producer down in the AHL after a couple of games to get acclimatized.

Jesse, hard to say. It'll depend a lot on if he goes down there with a good attitude, but also it's going to be a great litmus test on what Woodcroft can do with him. We've seen what Puljujarvi was like in Bakersfield with Fleming as coach, the results were average at best. Still, there seems to be a good feeling around their team right now with the strong start and the infusion of youth in key roles that are playing well, maybe Jesse can ride the wave with that?

Reactions: Zaddy

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Jesse, hard to say. It'll depend a lot on if he goes down there with a good attitude, but also it's going to be a great litmus test on what Woodcroft can do with him. We've seen what Puljujarvi was like in Bakersfield with Fleming as coach, the results were average at best.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Quite often the initial disappointment affects the beginning of the season as was obviously the game with Dubois (2 seasons ago), Yamamoto and also Puljujarvi. After the quiet start he produced 4 points and averaged almost 5 shots in his last five games, so it would've been interesting to see his points during a longer period last season. If he'd kept on that groove at least the production hadn't looked average.

Reactions: Aerrol

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I have to admit that I was big time down on Woodcroft but was always surprised that the players seem to have good things to say about him. But we have a new staff and the pp seems pretty much the same. Woodcroft has the kids playing key roles and thriving. Maybe he was not the problem after all.

Think this coaching change has proven that McLellan is a big time micromanager. Woodcroft likely had little say in the PP personnel or even the tactics. Assistants jobs are to relay Todd's genius ideas and I assume it is all their fault if it doesn't work, along with the players.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Right! Perhaps not. Opening up my eyes anyway.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's going to be interesting to see what Bako's lineup looks like with Marody coming up.

I'd guess Currie moves up between Benson and Hebig again, but then you've only got one RW spot in the top6 for Pulju, Yams and Russell. At least one of those guys will likely end up on their off-wing. Probably makes sense to move Gambardella down to #3C because their other options are pretty weak.

Hopefully Marody plays regularly up with the big club because calling up Russell would have made a lot more sense as far the the AHL roster goes.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
So why call up Marody to sit in the press box? I knew we should have reclaimed Aberg when Ana put him on waivers a few weeks ago.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Agreed, I could see Yamamoto being a strong offensive producer down in the AHL after a couple of games to get acclimatized.

Jesse, hard to say. It'll depend a lot on if he goes down there with a good attitude, but also it's going to be a great litmus test on what Woodcroft can do with him. We've seen what Puljujarvi was like in Bakersfield with Fleming as coach, the results were average at best. Still, there seems to be a good feeling around their team right now with the strong start and the infusion of youth in key roles that are playing well, maybe Jesse can ride the wave with that?

When they sent him down under Fleming the instructions were to work on his game away from the puck. Fleming actually praised his play in that regard and deemphasized his offensive output. If they do the same thing this time it will be one more nail in the coffin I expect. The kid needs to find his offense.

This is not the best source for my comments but see the bottom of this page:

Patience for Puljujarvi

From this article:

Puljujarvi looks to sharpen game with Condors - Acme World Sports

Fleming said there is plenty to like about Puljujarvi’s game, especially at the AHL level.
“There’s places in his game where he does things really, really well.” he said. “He’s big, he can skate, has a tremendous shot and is gifted offensively.”

But it’s about taking that game to the next level and then leaving Bakersfield in his wake.

“There’s still areas in the game we’d like to see him improve on,” Fleming said. “Puck protection, his wall work, being a little more physical. Those are the types of things he’s here to work on.”

Not that he does not need help in those areas but for a kid that looked like he had a lot of high end raw skills it looks like the message has not had the positive impact. He seems worse in those areas than he was early on but more to the point all the positives were gone.

In the preseason we saw his skill. As soon as the regular season started it was as if the fear of making mistakes killed any momentum.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was rotating with Strome at practice, I believe, so seems likely.

I know that many have been pleased with Strome's defensive game but clearly his offensive game has been lacking by his standards. Marody might be a better puck distributor than Strome and probably has more offensive confidence at the moment. Unless we are trading Strome I can't see him sitting for long.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
When they sent him down under Fleming the instructions were to work on his game away from the puck. Fleming actually praised his play in that regard and deemphasized his offensive output. If they do the same thing this time it will be one more nail in the coffin I expect. The kid needs to find his offense.

This is not the best source for my comments but see the bottom of this page:

Patience for Puljujarvi

From this article:

Puljujarvi looks to sharpen game with Condors - Acme World Sports

Not that he does not need help in those areas but for a kid that looked like he had a lot of high end raw skills it looks like the message has not had the positive impact. He seems worse in those areas than he was early on but more to the point all the positives were gone.

In the preseason we saw his skill. As soon as the regular season started it was as if the fear of making mistakes killed any momentum.

A good post. Yeah Chiarelli said something like they wanted Puljujarvi to concentrate on his defensive game as he's not worried about the offense, but I couldn't find the quote right now. Fleming also said the following:

Jesse’s offensive abilities are always going to be there. He sees the ice extremely well and has great puck skills. He’s got more chances, but they just haven’t gone in. It’s his play away from the puck that we’re really trying to emphasize here, straight lines, stops and starts, finishing (his) checks, defensive zone positioning and awareness away from the puck.

While I understand some of the things Fleming said I think a different kind of emphasize would've been better. As for Jesse's AHL career it'd been interesting to see how his production would've been if he'd stayed there longer as he scored 4 points in his 5 last games and clearly started to get it going.

Also IMO the first season wasn't that bad considering the age of 18. These are from Chiarelli at that time:

"He's going to be in the conversation come the deadline," said Chiarelli. "He's a dangerous player down there. He was far and above the most dangerous player I saw in both the games down there."

“I’m happy with his development, Chiarelli said. “He’s going to be an impact player. Every time he touches the puck in the American League, it pretty much turns into a scoring chance.”

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A good post. Yeah Chiarelli said something like they wanted Puljujarvi to concentrate on his defensive game as he's not worried about the offense, but I couldn't find the quote right now. Fleming also said the following:

Jesse’s offensive abilities are always going to be there. He sees the ice extremely well and has great puck skills. He’s got more chances, but they just haven’t gone in. It’s his play away from the puck that we’re really trying to emphasize here, straight lines, stops and starts, finishing (his) checks, defensive zone positioning and awareness away from the puck.

While I understand some of the things Fleming said I think a different kind of emphasize would've been better. As for Jesse's AHL career it'd been interesting to see how his production would've been if he'd stayed there longer as he scored 4 points in his 5 last games and clearly started to get it going.

Also IMO the first season wasn't that bad considering the age of 18. These are from Chiarelli at that time:

"He's going to be in the conversation come the deadline," said Chiarelli. "He's a dangerous player down there. He was far and above the most dangerous player I saw in both the games down there."

“I’m happy with his development, Chiarelli said. “He’s going to be an impact player. Every time he touches the puck in the American League, it pretty much turns into a scoring chance.”

I do feel that Chia believes in him and that he is probably one of the biggest things that the coach and GM don't see eye to eye on.

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I do feel that Chia believes in him and that he is probably one of the biggest things that the coach and GM don't see eye to eye on.

I also believe Chia has been more positive about Jesse through all this time and I've had a feeling something's been going on in the background. Maybe Todd and Chia have been fighting about the way Puljujarvi is used and I even came up with a theory that is definitely unlikely, but I'll write it anyway:

So Chia traded Hall after getting Puljujarvi. Maybe he sold the idea of replacing Hall with him to McLellan. This part could've actually made sense at that time and I think there was some talk about this, too. That could explain how they've been trying to change him as a player to learn to drive his own line.

But then that transformation with Jesse got slower than McLellan wanted and at the same time Hall started to put those MVP numbers. McLellan got bitter, more annoyed and more aware of Jesse's flaws, and while Chia wanted him to be used more and higher up in the lineup the stubborn coach did pretty much the opposite. Like "take a look at what you acually got me".

Of course no coach, even the most stubborn one, would deliberately weaken his own team. So this may be far from the truth but no forum is perfect without an occasional conspiracy theory. Probably the last (only?) one I'll be ever writing myself :)

Celleyna

Jun 4, 2009
puljujarvi had a fight in his first game in Bakersfield. What the bananas! Didn’t see that coming.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
DsQ1gDLVYAAoOAL.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad