Recalled/Assigned: Puljujarvi & Yamamoto Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I would like Nylander on this team, very dynamic player he and Leon on the second line would be such a treat. Probably signs for 7.5 million for 7-8 years.

If Sekera was still Sekera then I would be fine with trading Nurse+ for him. But that is not the case. Ah wellé

Reactions: Proko88

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I would like Nylander on this team, very dynamic player he and Leon on the second line would be such a treat. Probably signs for 7.5 million for 7-8 years.

If Sekera was still Sekera then I would be fine with trading Nurse+ for him. But that is not the case. Ah wellé

If he's going to cost more than 7mil, there's no way we can afford him plus whatever assets it's going to cost.

Besides, the last point producing dynamic winger we had was cost controlled for a couple years was run out of town and traded for Ryan Strome.

I don't think this fanbase would be very keen on Nylander for long. Plus the fact that the whole situation has dragged out so long is concerning.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
In the summer, everyone expected Yamamoto and Puljujarvi to do great things this season. I think most people projected Kailer to play a top 6 role and Jesse to break out and move up to McDavid's wing.

Until the bench boss is changed, they will continue to struggle in the NHL, more so Puljujarvi. Yamamoto is still a rookie with less than 20 games under his belt, but his 2-way game and hockey IQ is something to behold for the future.

They were both being so wrongfully utilized. Kailer never should've been on the top line, facing team's best d-men. He's a 135lb soak and wet rookie, and he gets fed to the wolves.

Puljujarvi is an explosive skater with a very dangerous and heavy shot. Being put on a line with Strome and Lucic is not going to discover that potential, or the 4th line for that matter. He belongs with a center like Leon or Connor, he needs time to gain chemistry, not 2 or 5 or even 10 games, half a season, a full season. Rotating him around the line-up on a game by game basis is just plain stupid. McDavid said it numerous times last year, even calling out the coach in a post-game saying that lines change too often and it's hard to build chemistry.

I hope they both regain their confidence down there, and when they get recalled, they have a new leader to guide them

Reactions: Studz

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
A bit off topic...

But unless I missed something in first intermission of TO/Bruins game, I was kind of surprised there was no mention of the assignment by Ron or especially Elliot.
They usually don't ignore us like the rest of them! And I'm sure they realize this is big for us.
It's not that it's not big. It's just that it's not related to the Mega powerhouse 10 year straight Stanley Cup winning Toronto Maple Laughs

Reactions: TB12 and RegDunlop

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
This was the right call and should've beem made earlier. This year Bako is gonna be filthyyyy. Already got Benson, Jones, Bear, Marody, Vesel, now add Pulju and Yamo. Sweet baby jesus we finally have a great farm team.

Also worth noting, Chia was at the Pens/Caps game. Maybe he makes two buy low trades on Burakovsky and Sprong to give Pulju and Yamo all the time they need.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
It's not that it's not big. It's just that it's not related to the Mega powerhouse 10 year straight Stanley Cup winning Toronto Maple Laughs

I suppose!
But Ron and Elliot are different to me. At least I believe that they pay attention to us!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I never thought I'd be so happy we didn't fire woodcroft. The man seems like a perfect AHL coach. Looking forward to seeing if he can get JP up to speed since he's familiar with him, unlike last time Jp went down and knew nobody.

Yup
Sure different optics for me. I just went with the flow... assuming he was garbage because of PP etc.
Maybe his hands were tied?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
This was the right call and should've beem made earlier. This year Bako is gonna be filthyyyy. Already got Benson, Jones, Bear, Marody, Vesel, now add Pulju and Yamo. Sweet baby jesus we finally have a great farm team.

Also worth noting, Chia was at the Pens/Caps game. Maybe he makes two buy low trades on Burakovsky and Sprong to give Pulju and Yamo all the time they need.

If we could get Sprong for cheap, I'd be all over that.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I kind of want to see Josh Currie get a chance, he's produced consistently well down there over the past 2 years and just signed his NHL deal last summer. Undrafted player who's worked his way through the ranks (junior, ECHL, and finally the AHL), so it's hard not to cheer for him.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Inb4 sprong for Puljujarvi. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing how JP does in Bakersfield. Yamo as well but realistically he should probably spend the season down there. JP I think you'd be wanting to call up at some point if he gets his game together.

It's nice to see the team in Bakersfield performing well, shows promise for the coming years in Edmonton :thumbu:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I like it, we have some good depth now on the farm. The Condors should be strong this year with these additions.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I"m watching the Bakersfield game right now. It's great hockey. I'm so glad those two were finally sent there. If we can get our prospects used to winning it'll trickle up one day guaranteed.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I think callups are more likely but you don’t often hear reports of Chia scouting players personally...

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You sure? I thought Benson was the LW on that line.
Your right I actually meant to type just wing.

Benson Marody Hebig is the top line.

Currie was in Marody’s spot when Marody was up.

Hebig was playing left wing on the 3rd line before he worked his way up.

Last edited:

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I see this as a positive. Some more experienced guys have stepped up and expanded the depth chart and it gives Jesse and Yammer a chance to develope with more mins until the log jam clears.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Final nail in Puljujarvi'should coffin. If you want to give the kid confidence move him up with McDavid. They just did the exact opposite

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Final nail in Puljujarvi'should coffin. If you want to give the kid confidence move him up with McDavid. They just did the exact opposite
If this ends his career then the kid was clearly never going to succeed.

Yes build the kids confidence by putting him against top competition when he was constantly turning over the puck and making major mistakes against 4th liners.

earthstone

Jan 5, 2016
He is far from ready for that role. Smart move sending him down. Needs to learn the basics....such as not following the puck aimlessly in our own end.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I agree. Look at Vancouver. Petterson and Boeser are great talents, Horvat is decent offensively, but McDavid, Drai and RNH are better, and way more experienced. Outside of that, it's pretty much a wash..... yet they lead the lead in GF.

I know that they're streaky and things will regress to the mean but there is no reason why we can't be what they are.

I watch a lot of VAN games.

They work MUCH harder than a lot of players on Edmonton's roster. Look much more eager

Reactions: RegDunlop

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Going to be really interesting to see what kind of production Jesse will put up in Bakersfield.

I have a feeling Yamamoto will make the transition quite easily and put up a lot of points in AHL once he gets his feet wet. Jesse I'm not so sure about, but I'm hoping he can prove everyone wrong and light the lamp consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad