McKenzie: Puljujarvi has requested a trade [Part 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2015
So you cheered for a team that employed Ray Lewis, but cashed in when Ray Rice was outed?

Just curious where you draw the line in the sand for moral outrage?

When I first read your post, I was annoyed at the comparison, but the more I think about it, I think I like your question. (apologies for those who see this as going too far off topic....)

First off, the Ray Lewis incident was before I really followed the Ravens (as I said, I mainly followed them during the really bad Oiler years)...but even despite that, I am not certain that I have any problem with a player who was involved in a murder trial, and eventually plead guilty to obstruction of justice and received 1 year probation.

Ray Rice was on video doing what he did...no dispute, no defence.

Taking it a step further, I have no problem with Craig MacTavish either (and I was a teenage Oilers fan in the 80's when he signed), plead guilty to vehicular homicide, served his time and later signed with the Oilers.

So to answer your question, I suppose on my moral scale......

Craig MacTavish / Ray Lewis
Slava Voynov/Ray Rice

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Maybe he was just never going to be able to take the next step to play in the NHL like so many other prospects. Just the way she goes

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Why do we have three threads dedicated for this irrelevant clown?
Let us look closer at that.

I see it as multiple reasons. A near-perfect storm if you will.

Exhibit 1: Lowly Oilers

Let's face it, they have sucked mightily while at the same time exhibiting bizarre arrogant behaviors. They have arguably destroyed careers and have presided over the worst professional sports franchise of the last twenty years. The NHL had to create new rules because of their epic level of managerial suck.

It's so easy for trolls that they get to live on top of the bridge while Oiler fans are forced to wade through the putrid polluted river as those same trolls fling feces at them from above.

Exhibit 2: Pizza Boy

Who doesn't love an entitled brat that takes his million dollars and runs home because he can and then flips the bird to the people who put that money in his pocket. What parent wouldn't cave to their ten year old who threatened to run away and never come back?

He appears to be the poster boy for the prototype millennial. Safe room and all. Prudes face less ridicule at a nudist beach.

Exhibit 3: Fin apologists

They defend to the never end. Nuff said.

Exhibit 4: A large Oiler fan base

Whose secret is that they are always angry.

I presume I missed a couple but take these factors together and you have a prospect in an organization that has arguably ruined countless prospects despite other prospects not busting and now they have new management that doesn't ruin prospects yet it appears that it might be more and about McDavid and poor Finnish, bad pizza , a motor mouth and it is the off season so...

Reactions: Rask Decisions

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If he wasn't ready for the NHL, and he still isn't, he should have been put in the AHL full time..not a few games here, and then up and down. Develop properly in the AHL, with extended playing time down there.

Unfortunately Jesse and his agent thought he was an NHL player and took steps to make sure he wouldn't be in the AHL.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
The figure I saw was he'd be making about 300K if he spent the season in Oulu.

300K isn't NHL money, but it's still a pretty comfortable living.
Comfortable is to put it mildly - he'd be in the top 1 percentile of salaries, far above most CEOs, and just a hair under the highest-paid (excluding bonuses and options) CEOs of Finnish companies operating world-wide (Nokia, Kone, Outokumpu, etc).

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

FatherPucker

Mar 22, 2018
Comfortable is to put it mildly - he'd be in the top 1 percentile of salaries, far above most CEOs, and just a hair under the highest-paid (excluding bonuses and options) CEOs of Finnish companies operating world-wide (Nokia, Kone, Outokumpu, etc).
Let him rot in Europe. :)
:sarcasm:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They're not just "sitting out". They would stay in juniors for the max time allowed, then would need to spend 1-2 seasons on either AHL only deal's or in Europe. Then they'd be UFAs able to choose whichever team they want to play with who would in their minds give them the best chance possible at having success, and thus bypassing Edmonton completely.

And if you think that an NHL team publicly telling people and thus future prospects that they're more than willing to ruin a player's career won't have an impact, then it's you that doesn't know squat about the real world. Why risk your career in Edmonton if you don't have to? Of course the real answer here is that Edmonton wouldn't make such an asinine statement.

Not at all. I'm pointing out what should be the obvious if Edmonton were to adopt @TheNumber4's idea regarding ruining player's careers if Edmonton choose to do so.

So they’d play minors ns juniors instead of getting right into the show and maximizing their earning potential. This won’t ever and doesn’t happen with players who are good enough to play right away. Thus, why you know jack squat.

Also, no one EVER said anything about the Oilers organization saying publicly that they will bury players. How Holland’s handled it so far has been perfect, just stand pat and say you will trade only if the trade is right for the team. Whicb is the exact and appropriate response any other GM would give in this situation. He’s still demonstrating that Edmonton won’t bend to an entitled selfish players demands without needing to outright say what I have said.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's fine today... but CEOs rarely retire at 35-40, nor do they take pay cuts as they get more senior.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
When I first read your post, I was annoyed at the comparison, but the more I think about it, I think I like your question. (apologies for those who see this as going too far off topic....)

First off, the Ray Lewis incident was before I really followed the Ravens (as I said, I mainly followed them during the really bad Oiler years)...but even despite that, I am not certain that I have any problem with a player who was involved in a murder trial, and eventually plead guilty to obstruction of justice and received 1 year probation.

Ray Rice was on video doing what he did...no dispute, no defence.

Taking it a step further, I have no problem with Craig MacTavish either (and I was a teenage Oilers fan in the 80's when he signed), plead guilty to vehicular homicide, served his time and later signed with the Oilers.

So to answer your question, I suppose on my moral scale......

Craig MacTavish / Ray Lewis
Slava Voynov/Ray Rice

Meh....I've got no issue with Lewis either.

But I can't say that I can agree with you on MacTavish, the guy killed someone while driving drunk.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Now EDM fans might want to cross their elbows that Pulju actually does 1.0 PPG or higher.

0.7ppg in the AHL moving to FEL might be a 0.5ppg player. 22yo 0.5ppg in FEL = negative trade value. These are the guys who get dropped because 50 contract player limit.

Dis gunna be gud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad