Confirmed with Link: Puljujärvi signed 3 year ELC

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Never liked the sound of "Poolparty" (no idea who came up with that anyway). "Pull-You" is much better so lets go with that until I figure out something better. :laugh:

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC
Never liked the sound of "Poolparty" (no idea who came up with that anyway). "Pull-You" is much better so lets go with that until I figure out something better. :laugh:

Someone else on this board coined "Pull-Your-RV", how about that? :sarcasm:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Someone else on this board coined "Pull-Your-RV", how about that? :sarcasm:

No idea but I'd imagine it's going to sound pretty funny when the commentators first try start pronouncing the name in an actual game. :laugh:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
shouldn't we be concerned that the bonus cap hit is so high?
I read a blurb on the train this morning that said he had the highest bonuses in the last 10 years for a 4th pick. don't all of the potential bonuses for a player count against the cap for the upcoming season?

I honestly don't get why his potential bonuses are so high.

how can a team so bad always be up so close to the top of the cap?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Glad he's signed, I'm quite interested in the bonus structure as there could actually be some cap implications this year and for the duration of his ELC.

How horrifying is it that 6 years after we draft Taylor Hall we're still in a position where we need an 18 year old to step in and make a meaningful contribution as a rookie.

Talk about undue pressure. We're relying on Puljujarvi and Yakupov to be two of the RWers in our top 9 :amazed: and our backup plan in case one of them fails is Kassian? Yikes.

We've backed ourselves into a bit of a corner with our RW depth. We've got 3 complete wild cards after Eberle.

Pass english 10 = 250k bonus?

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
Given the bonuses, the organization apparently doesn't see him as a 4th overall pick. His bonus AAV is exactly the same as PLD's. If he really hits his B bonuses, then we can assume that Oilers really have a good year. A bonuses would be nice, it'd be kinda ok rookie season.

And yes, we call him Pulju here in Finland. May translate to Pulj or Pul later, if it's easier for you guys to say.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I read a blurb on the train this morning that said he had the highest bonuses in the last 10 years for a 4th pick. don't all of the potential bonuses for a player count against the cap for the upcoming season?

Consequences of having so many high picks on elc on a roster

The dumb one was keeping Draisaitl for too many games in his rookie year. Now he has to be protected.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Consequences of having so many high picks on elc on a roster

The dumb one was keeping Draisaitl for too many games in his rookie year. Now he has to be protected.

that one really bugs me, because everyone and their dog could see it coming from a mile away, and then when it was happening (the inevitable struggle), they decided to keep him up regardless of performance. MacT had him penciled in as the #2 C before the draft...

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
that one really bugs me, because everyone and their dog could see it coming from a mile away, and then when it was happening (the inevitable struggle), they decided to keep him up regardless of performance. MacT had him penciled in as the #2 C before the draft...

I read that post to my dog and he wagged his tail to endorse that comment.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Well he has to actually hit those bonuses for them to go against the cap, and the likelihood of him hitting hitting anything other than his schedule A bonuses which cap out at 850k is fairly unlikely. The only player on the team that is likely to hit their schedule B bonuses is Connor McDavid.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well he has to actually hit those bonuses for them to go against the cap, and the likelihood of him hitting hitting anything other than his schedule A bonuses which cap out at 850k is fairly unlikely. The only player on the team that is likely to hit their schedule B bonuses is Connor McDavid.

In fact he does not have to hit any bonuses for them to go on the cap. The Oilers are way over the bonus cushion so if he plays they will be effectively on the cap. Or if you like McDavid's bonuses are part of the hard cap. That said at this point they have lots of room so this is not an issue.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
In fact he does not have to hit any bonuses for them to go on the cap. The Oilers are way over the bonus cushion so if he plays they will be effectively on the cap. Or if you like McDavid's bonuses are part of the hard cap. That said at this point they have lots of room so this is not an issue.

Maybe I don't understand completely how bonuses work, but how exactly would his bonuses go on the cap if he doesn't hit them?

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
Maybe I don't understand completely how bonuses work, but how exactly would his bonuses go on the cap if he doesn't hit them?

I don't have the exact figure. But it's a maximum of.... 5.25? Million in bonuses that aren't counted in the cap calculation by the league.
The Oilers are currently around 11 million in bonuses. So anything over the maximum is counted by the league.

If I understand it right.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I don't have the exact figure. But it's a maximum of.... 5.25? Million in bonuses that aren't counted in the cap calculation by the league.
The Oilers are currently around 11 million in bonuses. So anything over the maximum is counted by the league.

If I understand it right.

Huh, first I've heard of this. I thought bonuses only counted against the cap if they were achieved.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Technically all bonuses for roster players count towards the cap until it is clear that they cannot be met. However a team is allowed to exceed the cap because of performance bonuses by up to the bonus cushion which is 7.5% of the cap ceiling. In this case that is about $5.45M. So in reality if the Oilers had all of their guys with bonuses playing at once their effective cap ceiling during the season would be $73M minus the amount that the cumulative bonuses exceeded the cushion. Of course right now this is not an issue because they have lots of room. BUt it could be if they added a big contract by trade without shipping out much salary.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
People here on hfoil still don't understand Puljujarvi was arguably a top 2 selection in this draft? :dunno:

The MVP has only been done in the last 15 years at world juniors but Puljujarvi is the youngest to claim it since. Highest point total under age 18 since Jagr that tourney.

The kid is the real deal, I am still amazed he fell to Edmonton. In actuality he's too good not to turn the coaches head to make the team.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
People here on hfoil still don't understand Puljujarvi was arguably a top 2 selection in this draft? :dunno:

The MVP has only been done in the last 15 years at world juniors but Puljujarvi is the youngest to claim it since. Highest point total under age 18 since Jagr that tourney.

The kid is the real deal, I am still amazed he fell to Edmonton. In actuality he's too good not to turn the coaches head to make the team.

Honestly any other team would be way more hyped. We've had so many high picks and are numb to it at this point, at least Pul-J gets to come in under the radar a little more now.. I can't wait to see him go, I think his hype will grow as the season goes on.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

That in addition to Ray's and Button's comments in the months leading up to the draft suggest there wasn't much separation between Laine and Puljujärvi if at all. When Bob tweets only days prior to the draft that many teams wouldn't rule out the Jets taking Puljujärvi at 2, I for one take his word for it and assume they were ranked very closely on several teams lists.

Puljujärvi at 4 was one of the best value pick from the draft IMO. Of the first round only Chychrun at 18 is arguably more or equally valuable. Pulju would have gone first in many previous drafts.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I'm pretty sure if the Oilers had the 2nd pick, they would have also taken Laine.

Perhaps. Laine ended the season on a high note and Pulju couldn't answer to it since he was injured and it didn't make any sense to pick him to the WHC. Laine had simply proven more by the end of the season and Pulju had no way of answering. As I don't have anything on the line I could have made the more "risky" pick and take Puljujärvi because I think he fits the Oilers better than Laine.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

That in addition to Ray's and Button's comments in the months leading up to the draft suggest there wasn't much separation between Laine and Puljujärvi if at all. When Bob tweets only days prior to the draft that many teams wouldn't rule out the Jets taking Puljujärvi at 2, I for one take his word for it and assume they were ranked very closely on several teams lists.

Puljujärvi at 4 was one of the best value pick from the draft IMO. Of the first round only Chychrun at 18 is arguably more or equally valuable. Pulju would have gone first in many previous drafts.

Most draft reviews put the Oilers having a strong draft almost exclusively because of JP. Everyone knew exactly how lucky the Oilers were and multitudes of articles panned the Oilers for winning the lotto somehow even after losing it. Even the CBJ GM looked disgusted he had to pick a potential center instead of the bop.

However I believe Bob for once was just fluffing a story to drum interest in the draft. The order was clear cut 1/2/3 with JP being third.

I think the guy is going to be a beast for us. Great reach, intense player, big, and skates like the wing. Not sure I buy the "he could of gone first OA" BS that much. A quick example I believe Nuge would have gone ahead of him in his draft if for no other reason than he is a center, but before Lang. Even without hindsight tho it's fairly easy to say he would hAve gone first in Yaks year, but that is probably the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Great pick. Crazy he fell to us. All scouting reports point to him being ready for NHL duty so I hope he can come in and help the team win in some capacity.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I have told the tale of Puljujärvi becoming a superprospect. Some haven't yet snapped out of it, not even after the draft which is nowadays an integral part of fanaticism, partly seen in the way my fellow Finns treat the draft as the day. But like in many fantasies, this one also aims to educate.

The Leading One likes to remind in fairytale terms in retrospect that he was the child who comprehended to ask whether this emperor had any clothes. Let us use the case of Jarmo Kekäläinen being hired as GM of Jokerit as an example.

Leading One admits that he might have made people to think with more perspective as when Kekäläinen was announced to take over as Jokerit GM, everyone was throwing their hats in the air and thinking some god of ice hockey was going to arrive.

Why he is the leading analytist? He didn't go with the hype. Instead he had the perspective that there are thirteen other director of sports in this kingdom in other organizations. If Kekäläinen would come snapping a finger and making everything in Jokerit heaven... it wouldn't be possible. Everyone had to know that but many just didn't understand... in this business people go too much with the hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad