Confirmed with Link: Puljujärvi signed 3 year ELC

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Most draft reviews put the Oilers having a strong draft almost exclusively because of JP. Everyone knew exactly how lucky the Oilers were and multitudes of articles panned the Oilers for winning the lotto somehow even after losing it. Even the CBJ GM looked disgusted he had to pick a potential center instead of the bop.

However I believe Bob for once was just fluffing a story to drum interest in the draft. The order was clear cut 1/2/3 with JP being third.

I think the guy is going to be a beast for us. Great reach, intense player, big, and skates like the wing. Not sure I buy the "he could of gone first OA" BS that much. A quick example I believe Nuge would have gone ahead of him in his draft if for no other reason than he is a center, but before Lang. Even without hindsight tho it's fairly easy to say he would hAve gone first in Yaks year, but that is probably the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Great pick. Crazy he fell to us. All scouting reports point to him being ready for NHL duty so I hope he can come in and help the team win in some capacity.

I believe it went down exactly how Bob tweeted it and several teams in fact deemed Puljujärvi as the very potential 2nd pick. Bob strikes me as someone who's is very professional and wouldn't spin the truth just to sell a story.

I can easily see Puljujärvi going first overall in 2012 even when disregarding the benefit of hindsight. I even rank him first in 2011 and 2014 draft classes. 2010 is tougher, but IMO one could make a case that he'd go first then as well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Most draft reviews put the Oilers having a strong draft almost exclusively because of JP. Everyone knew exactly how lucky the Oilers were and multitudes of articles panned the Oilers for winning the lotto somehow even after losing it. Even the CBJ GM looked disgusted he had to pick a potential center instead of the bop.

However I believe Bob for once was just fluffing a story to drum interest in the draft. The order was clear cut 1/2/3 with JP being third.

I think the guy is going to be a beast for us. Great reach, intense player, big, and skates like the wing. Not sure I buy the "he could of gone first OA" BS that much. A quick example I believe Nuge would have gone ahead of him in his draft if for no other reason than he is a center, but before Lang. Even without hindsight tho it's fairly easy to say he would hAve gone first in Yaks year, but that is probably the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Great pick. Crazy he fell to us. All scouting reports point to him being ready for NHL duty so I hope he can come in and help the team win in some capacity.

Chevy sounded like Laine was their pick all along.
Laine is what Jets lineup has been missing, fits so well to their roster, like Pulju to Edmontons lineup.

But I have no idea which of the 3 is going to be the best in their prime.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
There's actually a big chance of Pulju hitting all his bonuses. Considering he has all time highest AAV compared to others with same draft position, it is a risk.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm pretty sure if the Oilers had the 2nd pick, they would have also taken Laine.

True. Never in the million years would I have expected the difference being PLD however. While Laine having a clear edge Jarno was reaching there and it's going to be fun seeing how it'll pan out.

For what comes to Bob's comments. He's sort of the middle man of promoting the prospects to the audience and the teams are using that as a leverage, feeding whatever information they see most useful. The Jets have proven to be quite deceiving and in this case they had a lot of people fooled, using McKenzie as the main instrument.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I have told the tale of Puljujärvi becoming a superprospect. Some haven't yet snapped out of it, not even after the draft which is nowadays an integral part of fanaticism, partly seen in the way my fellow Finns treat the draft as the day. But like in many fantasies, this one also aims to educate.

The Leading One likes to remind in fairytale terms in retrospect that he was the child who comprehended to ask whether this emperor had any clothes. Let us use the case of Jarmo Kekäläinen being hired as GM of Jokerit as an example.

Leading One admits that he might have made people to think with more perspective as when Kekäläinen was announced to take over as Jokerit GM, everyone was throwing their hats in the air and thinking some god of ice hockey was going to arrive.

Why he is the leading analytist? He didn't go with the hype. Instead he had the perspective that there are thirteen other director of sports in this kingdom in other organizations. If Kekäläinen would come snapping a finger and making everything in Jokerit heaven... it wouldn't be possible. Everyone had to know that but many just didn't understand... in this business people go too much with the hype.

Hmmm, are you drunk or something like this ludicrous "leading one"? What a pompous idiot, the "leading one". Gimme a break. :help:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
He is fast to learn English. In WJC he still had translator with him. Now there is more pressure than one Swedish newspaper but he is able to be understood without translator.

Hockey wise, Many people have feeling that Pulju is flying bit under radar, and is best player of the top 3 draftees (Matthews, Laine, Pulju) in last draft. He might "surprise" us. Seeing how well Aho-Laine worked in World Cup game against USA, there is absoutely no doubt Pula-Aho wouldn't have worked as well, as it dominated in WJC.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad