GDT: Puck pursuit. Game 9 Sharks @ Ducks 7 pm. Balcers in Sasha out

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Top three forwards in ice time tonight Kane, Cooch and Gambrell combined for 2 shots, 3 iCF, and 2 scoring chances.

Meanwhile Meier by himself gets 4 shots, 8 iCF, and 6 scoring chances playing about 5 mins less than those players.

I totally get that Meier is struggling this year, but when the entire line that our coach is giving the most ice time to, against a bad Anaheim team, generates half as much as a struggling 3rd line ice time Meier, well.....this team is screwed.
To Meier's credit, he was one of the only guys actually getting the puck to the net.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
To Meier's credit, he was one of the only guys actually getting the puck to the net.

True, but one player on the third line should not be generating twice as much as your entire top line. Especially when that top line has Kane and Cooch on it, who are supposedly snipers/shooters.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
True, but one player on the third line should not be generating twice as much as your entire top line. Especially when that top line has Kane and Cooch on it, who are supposedly snipers/shooters.
Oh I agree. This team is allergic to shooting, except for Meier, Gregor, and Donato for the most part. They need to simplify in the offensive zone. Get pucks to the net and drive it. Too many fancy passes, too much trying to make the perfect play.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Vlasic with less than 16 minutes of ice time. Right where he belongs but Simek isn't stepping in to fill the void. They're just leaning on Ferraro more and it's sort of degrading his quality.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Hedi keeps noting Karlsson is afraid to shoot, I wonder if he is worried about a block and getting exposed on the pivot?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Hedi keeps noting Karlsson is afraid to shoot, I wonder if he is worried about a block and getting exposed on the pivot?
I'm curious about Boog potentially overcorrecting the PDB problem of shooting from the point. Maybe he's pushing the idea of making plays low rather than getting the puck to the net from up high, and the team is discouraged from doing the latter.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm curious about Boog potentially overcorrecting the PDB problem of shooting from the point. Maybe he's pushing the idea of making plays low rather than getting the puck to the net from up high, and the team is discouraged from doing the latter.
I feel like part of the problem is that the point shot options are really limited on this team. I haven't seen much of Karlsson walking the blueline to open up lanes lately.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I feel like part of the problem is that the point shot options are really limited on this team. I haven't seen much of Karlsson walking the blueline to open up lanes lately.
That's fair, it just doesn't seem like this team is trying to play a direct game at all in general. They're so easy to defend because they try to play a possession game in the O zone without having a roster that can do that like they did 5+ years ago.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

The "Karlsson not shooting" thing is getting weird. Even when the most logical play is for him to shoot one on net, it doesn't seem like he wants to.

NHL.com says he's got 15 SOG so far in 10 GP, 4 of which were on the PP. 1 shorthanded. So 5v5, he's getting one shot on goal a game.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
3 out 4 points on the road. Obviously it would be better if the Ducks hadn't also got 3 out of 4 points but as long as they keep accumulating them it's positive momentum. Need to take at least 3 from LA next. Yes they are hurting in the standing but just consider that the Avs have played 11 games and have 15 points for 1st in the division. If the Sharks win their next game that gives then 11 points in 11 games. Only 4 points back for the division lead. Everything is still fairly tight in the standings so they aren't out of reach of making the playoffs by a long shot. We'll have to see how their team play develops as we go to know if they're dropping by the wayside or at least keeping it close.

I would like to see Dubnyk get more starts to see if this is a mirage. I mean if he's supposedly the worst goalie in the league as was repeatedly asserted, I've yet to see it. Thought he was great overall against the Avs as well despite losing 3-0. .917 sv%, 2.71gaa which are both much better than Jones and they have similar minutes played now. The one goal he gave up tonight was largely luck off a guys knee jumping out of the way.
I thought Meier looked good overall this game as far as effort and Hertl looked like he woke up in the 3rd. Hopefully it's a turning point for them.
This is quite true. Even Knyzhov has done it more noticeably than EK65. I do like that he seems to be giving up less goals though even if it might be luck.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Getting outplayed by an Anaheim team missing Getzlaf does not bode well. The Sharks are just not good enough. Squeaking in as a 4th seed and getting obliterated in the 1st round won't do much good. Might rather roll the dice in the lottery although it's a weak draft.
This is pretty much my prediction for the season. Definitely prefer they do worse and get a better pick. This team doesn't currently look like they would win a playoff game if they do get there. Couple months to go before then though so we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: themelkman

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The Donato shootout goal was ruined by the loss in the shootout.

That was pretty damn sweet.
No doubt. Replayed that 5 times. Goalie wasn't even in the crease anymore after that fake. Donato has to be one of the best non star acquisitions for DW. I know he probably isn't anything more than a 40-50 point guy at best but his effort and creativity stands out on this team. I bet he's one of those guys that catches fire in the playoffs. Just seems like a guy built for the playoffs.
Meier and Hertl together should be out possessing the Couture Kane line significantly. I really hope Hertl snaps out of this soon. Can't win consistently with your #1 center in this kind of a slump.

Reactions: Alwalys

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
No doubt. Replayed that 5 times. Goalie wasn't even in the crease anymore after that fake. Donato has to be one of the best non star acquisitions for DW. I know he probably isn't anything more than a 40-50 point guy at best but his effort and creativity stands out on this team. I bet he's one of those guys that catches fire in the playoffs. Just seems like a guy built for the playoffs.

Meier and Hertl together should be out possessing the Couture Kane line significantly. I really hope Hertl snaps out of this soon. Can't win consistently with your #1 center in this kind of a slump.

Statistically the Hertl/Meier line DID outpossess the cooch line significantly. They were the only line today, well Hertl and Meier at least with Marleau being even, that had positive possession, and they doubled the CF that the cooch line had, in less minutes.

So while unfortunately they did not score, both of them were close and generating a bit more like we would expect them to. Now we just need to hope Boughner gives them another game or two together, and they can turn that possession into points.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I also think Boughner needs to change up some of the lines. Donato shouldn't be buried with players who aren't skilled like Gambrell, and Marleau shouldn't be in the lineup, but if he is going to be for record reasons, he needs to be stapled to the 4th line. Also, Gregor and Gambrell worked well on the third line, so he should go back to that. I would try Donato-Hertl-Labanc/Balcers and Gregor-Gambrell-Meier/Balcers as the third line. Sorensen-Marleau/Chmelevski-Nieto is fine as the 4th line. I'm still very impressed by Knyzhov and Ferraro, and Vlasic should stay buried on the third pair. Dubnyk is obviously the #1 goalie for this team and should get the majority of the starts until he regresses. Three out of 4 points vs. Anaheim isn't bad, but they looked awful today. I would hope they can have a more complete 2-game series vs. LA.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Statistically the Hertl/Meier line DID outpossess the cooch line significantly. They were the only line today, well Hertl and Meier at least with Marleau being even, that had positive possession, and they doubled the CF that the cooch line had, in less minutes.

So while unfortunately they did not score, both of them were close and generating a bit more like we would expect them to. Now we just need to hope Boughner gives them another game or two together, and they can turn that possession into points.
Jeez it sure didn't seem that way watching the game. Other than Meier and patty somewhat, I thought Hertl was invisible until the 3rd.
I also think Boughner needs to change up some of the lines. Donato shouldn't be buried with players who aren't skilled like Gambrell, and Marleau shouldn't be in the lineup, but if he is going to be for record reasons, he needs to be stapled to the 4th line. Also, Gregor and Gambrell worked well on the third line, so he should go back to that. I would try Donato-Hertl-Labanc/Balcers and Gregor-Gambrell-Meier/Balcers as the third line. Sorensen-Marleau/Chmelevski-Nieto is fine as the 4th line. I'm still very impressed by Knyzhov and Ferraro, and Vlasic should stay buried on the third pair. Dubnyk is obviously the #1 goalie for this team and should get the majority of the starts until he regresses. Three out of 4 points vs. Anaheim isn't bad, but they looked awful today. I would hope they can have a more complete 2-game series vs. LA.
If Meier and Hertl are finding their game you ideally split them up to carry 2 lines possession wise. Also I think Labanc is stapled to Coutures hip for the foreseeable future. They seem to play well together and it's the only pairing that has been consistent from day one of camp.

I like this as an option to try and spread out the scoring. If Balcers is as skilled as everyone says, him and Donato should give it a try to find some chemistry. I think it's key to keeping that 3rd line dangerous. I wonder if Balcers comes out after this game though. He was invisible except when he was getting demolished.

Couture, Labanc, Meier
Hertl, Kane, Gregor
Gamby, Donato, Balcers
Patty, Sorenson, Nieto

or
Couture, Labanc, Kane
Hertl, Meier, Balcers
Gamby, Donato, Gregor
Patty, Sorenson, Nieto

Swapping Kane and Meier is fine too considering Kane and Couture have been producing together off the rush. This team needs one more skill guy to assert himself (Balcers, JL?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 702SHARK

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Jeez it sure didn't seem that way watching the game. Other than Meier and patty somewhat, I thought Hertl was invisible until the 3rd.

If Meier and Hertl are finding their game you ideally split them up to carry 2 lines possession wise. Also I think Labanc is stapled to Coutures hip for the foreseeable future. They seem to play well together and it's the only pairing that has been consistent from day one of camp.

I like this as an option to try and spread out the scoring. If Balcers is as skilled as everyone says, him and Donato should give it a try to find some chemistry. I think it's key to keeping that 3rd line dangerous. I wonder if Balcers comes out after this game though. He was invisible except when he was getting demolished.

Couture, Labanc, Meier
Hertl, Kane, Gregor
Gamby, Donato, Balcers
Patty, Sorenson, Nieto

or
Couture, Labanc, Kane
Hertl, Meier, Balcers
Gamby, Donato, Gregor
Patty, Sorenson, Nieto

Swapping Kane and Meier is fine too considering Kane and Couture have been producing together off the rush. This team needs one more skill guy to assert himself (Balcers, JL?)

I like your second lineup a lot more. That could work...

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Knyzhov is really playing with more confidence and comfort. Nice to see another D prospect fill a much needed hole.

Reactions: NiWa

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Top three forwards in ice time tonight(at ES) Kane, Cooch and Gambrell combined for 2 shots, 3 iCF, and 2 scoring chances.

Meanwhile Meier by himself gets 4 shots, 8 iCF, and 6 scoring chances playing about 5 mins less than those players.

I totally get that Meier is struggling this year, but when the entire line that our coach is giving the most ice time to, against a bad Anaheim team, generates half as much as a struggling 3rd line ice time Meier, well.....this team is screwed.

I think they need to talk and find a solution that works for everyone or at this point it's pretty much Meier or Boughner. The writing was on the wall when that interview came out the latest. Meier is probably too professional to pull a Dubois but you can tell he's got zero desire to play for Boughner. Of course Boughner isn't gonna lean on a player that doesn't want to play his system and doesn't respect him as a coach.

I don't know if that's just Meier's problem or if other players think the same but I do think it needs to be addressed because at the moment Boughner has zero desire to play Meier and Meier has zero desire to play for Boughner. It's something that Wilson should take care of one way or the other.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I think they need to talk and find a solution that works for everyone or at this point it's pretty much Meier or Boughner. The writing was on the wall when that interview came out the latest. Meier is probably too professional to pull a Dubois but you can tell he's got zero desire to play for Boughner. Of course Boughner isn't gonna lean on a player that doesn't want to play his system and doesn't respect him as a coach.

I don't know if that's just Meier's problem or if other players think the same but I do think it needs to be addressed because at the moment Boughner has zero desire to play Meier and Meier has zero desire to play for Boughner. It's something that Wilson should take care of one way or the other.

Yeah if that’s going on I agree it needs to get figured out and settled one way or another.

However if it really comes down to boughner or Meier, if this team has really gotten that bad, I would fire DW and let the new GM decide how to proceed. I know I am a broken record on DW, but this should be a make or break season for DW and right now it’s breaking big time.

Adding active dissension from a player, and I suspect he is not the only one given the complete dysfunction this team is exhibiting, should be the final nail in the coffin. DW has run a tight ship for a long time, but it’s falling apart at the seams and he has done jack diddly for two years now to fix it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah if that’s going on I agree it needs to get figured out and settled one way or another.

However if it really comes down to boughner or Meier, if this team has really gotten that bad, I would fire DW and let the new GM decide how to proceed. I know I am a broken record on DW, but this should be a make or break season for DW and right now it’s breaking big time.

Adding active dissension from a player, and I suspect he is not the only one given the complete dysfunction this team is exhibiting, should be the final nail in the coffin. DW has run a tight ship for a long time, but it’s falling apart at the seams and he has done jack diddly for two years now to fix it.

It has been falling apart since the he needs to shut his mouth comment from thornton.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I haven't really followed what's going on with the Sharks organization lately so I can't comment on Wilson or other stuff but just from watching games I'd agree that something needs to change. As Wilson is still GM, it's his job to solve it. If one or multiple players are playing against a coach, whether they do it on purpose or not, then it needs to be addressed by Wilson himself. The issue has been there for a while now and nothing seems to have happened to solve it one way or the other. I don't think it's in the Sharks best interest to just carry on and ignore it. Meier can play a lot better and everybody knows it. He could also easily handle more minutes. I don't think all other players are necessarily playing up to their potential. I think I've seen a lot better from Hertl for example.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I’m not sure that it’s player or players vs coach. It could be that we still have a problem in the locker room. If so, DW needs to rid the team of the player or players that are at the heart of the problem. He’s already tried changing the coach.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

Is Boughner actually considered an elite talent as a head coach? (I was actually kind of surprised Wilson kept him.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad