GDT: Puck pursuit. Game 9 Sharks @ Ducks 7 pm. Balcers in Sasha out

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There is no doubt that the team sucks but I am unsure as to what exactly you are saying here? Team scores more goals with Jones in net? I mean, its hard to argue against those numbers but despite that hasn't Dubnyk still been the better goalie.

I'm just saying if the experiment is to see if it's goaltending or the team then so far it's the team. My point is that the takeaway, like it should've been well before this, is that the GM should be looking to invest in the skaters. I just don't want them to move on from Jones just to invest a similar amount into another goalie. I'd rather they finally figure out how to develop goalies and sign cheap short term options.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I'm just saying if the experiment is to see if it's goaltending or the team then so far it's the team. My point is that the takeaway, like it should've been well before this, is that the GM should be looking to invest in the skaters. I just don't want them to move on from Jones just to invest a similar amount into another goalie. I'd rather they finally figure out how to develop goalies and sign cheap short term options.
The part that's frustrating for me is that both sides of the equation have shown some promise so far. Dubnyk has played well enough to keep us in games, and even the skaters we malign the most have showed flashes of being who we thought they were. The team just doesn't seem mentally engaged. Guys are blowing assignments, taking long shifts, failing to connect passes, all the stuff that you could chalk up to a short training camp or a month on the road or the grind of the season if they hadn't just come back from a week off where they went home and had plenty of practice time. Friday's game had me tearing my hair out, and Saturday's wasn't much better.

All the rosterbating in the world doesn't solve for the fact that this isn't a team that's playing for each other and nobody seems to be taking responsibility for that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The part that's frustrating for me is that both sides of the equation have shown some promise so far. Dubnyk has played well enough to keep us in games, and even the skaters we malign the most have showed flashes of being who we thought they were. The team just doesn't seem mentally engaged. Guys are blowing assignments, taking long shifts, failing to connect passes, all the stuff that you could chalk up to a short training camp or a month on the road or the grind of the season if they hadn't just come back from a week off where they went home and had plenty of practice time. Friday's game had me tearing my hair out, and Saturday's wasn't much better.

All the rosterbating in the world doesn't solve for the fact that this isn't a team that's playing for each other and nobody seems to be taking responsibility for that.

Agreed and to compound that frustration is a lack of real options in terms of addressing that. Personally, I'd get rid of players who aren't buying into it for whatever reason. The system is perfectly fine for winning with on a consistent basis. You can make adjustments to it here and there based on a lot of things but it's not DeBoer's run and gun style that you need horses up and down the lineup for. The questions now are who do you move and for what? I'm sympathetic to rebuilding but I don't think it has to be as long as most believe. They could rebuild this and next year and be playoff-ready by the 2022-23 season if they make the right moves but that's gotta start now and this off-season.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
It does feel like something is off with the culture and it happened after Couture became captain. Lots of other things happened too (losing Pavs seems to have been a huge hit) but Couture certainly hasn’t seemed to have helped the situation.
Every now and then, I just get these intuitions when i see interactions on the ice with Couture. its not even really something i can explain. I usually tell myself "They are losing and in a bad mood"

but for some reason, I can't see them acting that way to certain other former captains

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

100% this. The word that keeps coming into my head is “professionalism.” They sometimes play like they’re in a beer hockey league - they cheat, they don’t skate for real puck, they don’t work hard. It’s not always like that but it’s like that a lot and it’s confusing me because I don’t think that’s anyone’s intention?

My only guess is that there’s some kind of cancer in the room that’s leading to distrust. It makes people try to do too much on their own, etc.

Is it Couture? Is it a group of guys? Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->