Confirmed with Link: PTO: Lee Stempniak accepts tryout with Devils

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Larsson quarterbacked the powerplay for like two days, if that.

Adam Larsson got 100 minutes on the power play in 2011-12, during which the Devils scored 8 goals and gave up 3. The Devils only got 79.6% of the shots with Larsson on the ice on a 5 on 4 power play - those are quite bad numbers, and it was their #1 unit he played on.

Anyway this is about Stempniak, who is a solid PTO who could be a nice player if some guys don't work out.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Stralman was told if the Devils could clear out a contract they would sign him. They could not do this. They had Fraser on the roster until they dealt him for Foster - Stralman would've replaced Fraser, and then who knows what happens.

They paid for this - Larsson was a horrendous PP QB and it wasn't until they got Foster that they could mercifully remove Adam from the power play.

It's rare that you get to tryout a guy like Stralman who is both young and has a decent NHL track record - most of them are dudes like Stempniak who are older and might've lost a step. I'm not sure why Stralman couldn't get a contract that year - I think he would've gotten one had the same circumstances befallen him in more recent years.

Good points.

Stralman played well that preseason too.

I'm happy with Stempniak and hope he earns a spot and we sign him if so.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Good points.

Stralman played well that preseason too.

I'm happy with Stempniak and hope he earns a spot and we sign him if so.

I don't really think that's true. He didn't play bad, but I wouldn't say he played well. He had a reputation at that point as a liability, and I remember, at least on this board, that no one was particularly enamored with him by the end of camp. Everyone was happy with the idea of him being a bottom pairing or 7th defenseman if there was room.

Even when he was playing well with the Rangers and Tampa, he always had kind of an unassuming playstyle, not much flare to his game. So I wonder if he was actually playing well that preseason and just didn't look great doing it (*cough* Tallinder :sarcasm:), or if he really meant it when he credited Tortorella and the Rangers' coaching staff for teaching him how to play defense.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Caught a preseason game in Philly that year, and Stralman looked bad on two goals.

IIRC, Jagr scored on a rebound for Philly and Stralman was at the top of the crease facing Marty and his back to the play. Literally looked clueless.

I feel like Stralman really found a niche in Tortorella's block everything system he had running that year. I don't think Stralman would've done as well here and he did in New York.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I feel like Stralman really found a niche in Tortorella's block everything system he had running that year. I don't think Stralman would've done as well here and he did in New York.

I dunno. Stralman seem to do well in the preseason games here. He looked better than a lot of our other D-men that year and I was wishing for Lou to sign him. But we couldn't dump Tallinder or Volchenkov that year so it might not have helped much.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I dunno. Stralman seem to do well in the preseason games here. He looked better than a lot of our other D-men that year and I was wishing for Lou to sign him. But we couldn't dump Tallinder or Volchenkov that year so it might not have helped much.

Stralman also had an above average season with TB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad