Confirmed with Link: PTO: Lee Stempniak accepts tryout with Devils

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yesssss. This is who I wanted to see.

I like these PTOs, 30 year olds and younger who still have a future ahead of them. Not Kaberle, Komisarek, Fedotenko, etc.

If the rookies show they aren't ready, a one-year deal for Stempniak would be a nice filler and might get us some assets down the line. I love what Shero is doing.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Devils RWs at the end of 2014-15: Bernier, Tootoo, Gionta, Ruutu

Devils RWs to possibly start 2015-16: Palmieri, Tlusty, Stempniak, Matteau

lool

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Yesssss. This is who I wanted to see.

I like these PTOs, 30 year olds and younger who still have a future ahead of them. Not Kaberle, Komisarek, Fedotenko, etc.

If the rookies show they aren't ready, a one-year deal for Stempniak would be a nice filler and might get us some assets down the line. I love what Shero is doing.

A majority, if not all of those guys, asked for PTOs here last year and they were told no guarantees.

Why are we still constantly looking and comparing into the past when there is plenty of opportunity and potential going forward with the changes here?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Meh, can't hurt I guess.

its-something.png

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I like Stempniak, has a good shot and he works hard and hustles.

The Rags could have used him in the playoffs and I'm glad they traded him.

I hope he has a good camp and we sign him and don't have a repeat of Stralman.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I like Stempniak, has a good shot and he works hard and hustles.

The Rags could have used him in the playoffs and I'm glad they traded him.

I hope he has a good camp and we sign him and don't have a repeat of Stralman.

Come on DD. Lee Stempniak will never be at the level of Stralman. Guy is a career 3rd liner.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Let's not act like we thought Stralman was good when he went unsigned.

And as it turns out, the Rangers medical staff discovered something in his health that turned his game around.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
Stempniak had a nice 18 games with WPG last season. He looked pretty good. Kind of shocked he didnt get an offer somewhere this off season

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

And as it turns out, the Rangers medical staff discovered something in his health that turned his game around.

I'm not saying that. Stralman was pretty much an unknown when he was with us on his PTO. Stempniak is a 3rd Line veteran and won't be anything more than that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Now this is a PTO that I do like, not feeling the one sent out to Ms. Piggy's baby boy. He's a better offensive guy (which is what we need) than Kennedy, that's for sure.

Not to turn this into Stralman but if we signed him that year, I can't imagine what the defense would have looked like. Whose spot would he have taken that year that we went to the finals? You know he wasn't taking any of the guys we had locked up long term like Tallinder or Volchenkov.

And we had a big enough logjam on D as it was in the following years. We still had it even after getting rid of Tallinder.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Considering Stralman's a top-pairing defenseman, realistically we should have dumped almost anyone but Greene and Larsson for him. Not that anyone knew or thought he was a first-pairing defenseman at the time. But I would've gladly dumped Gelinas or Fayne for present-day Stralman, and maybe Merrill.

He's like the Swedish right-shooting Andy Greene. Same height, sneaky good physical players, OK-offense, excellent possession, and both didn't really blossom into top-pairing defensemen until later in their careers. The two of them could have been magic on a pairing together.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Stralman was never making this team between his performance and the better performances of other players, several younger and who we already had under contract. Salvador, Tallinder, Volchenkov, Greene weren't going anywhere. Fayne and Larsson were the question marks, Fayne more so on the side of expected to be in the lineup, with Fraser and Taormina being the guys rotating around the 7 spot.

If Larsson didn't make a strong showing, there was then a chance Stralman would have made the team, but again, he didn't do much to stand out and everything else was already pretty much in place.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Stralman was told if the Devils could clear out a contract they would sign him. They could not do this. They had Fraser on the roster until they dealt him for Foster - Stralman would've replaced Fraser, and then who knows what happens.

They paid for this - Larsson was a horrendous PP QB and it wasn't until they got Foster that they could mercifully remove Adam from the power play.

It's rare that you get to tryout a guy like Stralman who is both young and has a decent NHL track record - most of them are dudes like Stempniak who are older and might've lost a step. I'm not sure why Stralman couldn't get a contract that year - I think he would've gotten one had the same circumstances befallen him in more recent years.

Last edited:

Beetlebum*

Stralman was told if the Devils could clear out a contract they would sign him. They could not do this. They had Fraser on the roster until they dealt him for Foster - Stralman would've replaced Fraser, and then who knows what happens.

They paid for this - Larsson was a horrendous PP QB and it wasn't until they got Foster that they could mercifully remove Adam from the power play.

It's rare that you get to tryout a guy like Stralman who is both young and has a decent NHL track record - most of them are dudes like Stempniak who are older and might've lost a step. I'm not sure why Stralman couldn't get a contract that year - I think he would've gotten one had the same circumstances befallen him in more recent years.

yehhhhhhh

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Larsson quarterbacked the powerplay for like two days, if that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad