Confirmed with Link: PTO Antoine Roussel

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
There’s nothing really to salvage anymore with this roster. But even if they do collect some more high picks in these next few years how do you have any faith in this front office to surround those players with enough meaningful depth?

The dumb signings aren’t gonna stop when Fletcher gets tossed to the side of the road as long as the guys above him are still here. That’s not a defense of Fletcher as he’s a total bozo himself but that’s why he was hired in the first place because he thinks like Clarke, Homer, & Lombardi. They’re just going to hire another like minded person as long as they’re in control of the hiring process again.

I just can't believe this is all happening with a savvy, modern, and talent focused man right at their side in Briere.

ThickAmusingAfricanwildcat-max-1mb.gif

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Torts has the same MO at his stops, he's brutally honest with his players and the media, and jumps on the stars as hard as the scrubs.

If he plays the "try hard" guys, it's because he wants to set the tone for the team, but as his former players are quick to point out, he expects the stars to forecheck and the scrubs to try and generate offense. The accountability is the same, even when the talent differs.

Reality says you can't just pick 12 forwards and be content, 2-3 will be injured at some point.
But that's why there are two groups at LHV:
1) NHL ready but limited, Brown, MacEwen, Marody, Brooks, Willman, Seeler, Connaughton, Belpido
1b) Sandin, Hogdson, more upside but too old to be given prospect leeway
2) NHL upside but inexperienced, Foerster, Lycksell, Wisdom, Desnoyers, Zamula, Attard, Hogberg, Wylie, Ersson

The second group are players you don't want to yo-yo, when they ready, you want to bring them up to stay.
I'd rather see groups 1b and 2 on the roster than anyone in group 1... There is the disconnect with management.

• Love
Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So in summary, you tried to call people on this board out for something they never said.

Straw. Man. Argument. Talk about tilting at windmills.
No, in summary:

Endless bitching about physical 4th liners and complaining that physicality = dinosaur hockey strongly indicates that the majority of the board treat physicality negatively for depth players.

Reactions: Flyerfan18

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You are straw manning, it's not like we've had a lot of physical bottom six guys who could skate.
Laughton and ??? Allison if he could stay healthy.

Willman can skate, but he's not physical and can't finish.
MacEwen is a decent skater for his size, but he's barely better offensively than Bunnaman.
Laczynski is a ?? when it comes to skating, I don't want another big, slow 4C who can't forecheck (shades of Vorobyev)
Brown lacks speed and skill.
Deslauriers lacks skill.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tbf, Roussel is not a moron like NAK. He's a shit disturber who usually takes someone to the box with him. But this team really doesn't need a pest.
Last 3 seasons:

NAK: 160 GP, 32 Pen drawn, 48 Pen taken = -16

Roussel: 129 GP, 22 Pen drawn, 45 Pen taken = -23

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's pretty interesting to look at Net Penalties drawn/taken per 60. If you filter it by minimum 100 GP the past 3 seasons, Ritchie is by far the worst, with Roussel in 2nd place. NAK is 9th worst, and Deslauriers is 14th worst (equal with Jeff Carter).

So get ready for the Flyers PK to get plenty of practice in 22-23 thanks to Nicky with the NTC.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
There’s nothing really to salvage anymore with this roster. But even if they do collect some more high picks in these next few years how do you have any faith in this front office to surround those players with enough meaningful depth?

The dumb signings aren’t gonna stop when Fletcher gets tossed to the side of the road as long as the guys above him are still here. That’s not a defense of Fletcher as he’s a total bozo himself but that’s why he was hired in the first place because he thinks like Clarke, Homer, & Lombardi. They’re just going to hire another like minded person as long as they’re in control of the hiring process again.
THIS ONE MILLION PERCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until the the entire organization Clarke Homer fletch etc. are gone and the flyers receive an enema they will only get worse.

But maybe the fans love trading 2's for d men and signing 7 million dollar third tier players.

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
You don't see it that way? I sure do.

There seems to be a general consensus here that physical = dinosaur = bad. Unless a physical player has top-six skill, physicality is viewed derogatorily.

Not a single poster here has said that, just you.

We are saying physical players can be somewhat decent players, the Flyers only choose ones that are old, horrific at hockey, or both.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Roussel adds another guy with a very hard competitive game. The Flyers will want to see how the guys battling for roster spots respond to him. He's going to make them uncomfortable. And that's only going to help the evaluation process.
It does not bring a competitive edge to training camp, there is already one in place with the young kids competing for spots on the roster. This type of love puts a little doubt in the back of their mind that they team isn’t looking to bring any of them up for dinosaurs like this.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The impression you get is something no one has said? And you continue to claim your opponents are arguing for something they never said?

That's the definition of a strawman. You are strawmanning. At least be big enough to admit it.
There's been a hell of a lot said about physical 4th liners being dinosaur hockey. In fact, this all came up because of criticism of Roussel as a tryout. Yesterday, we had complaints about Chris Stewart giving rookies a lesson on self-defense. The Deslauriers signing was bashed to the point of complaining about his picture being used on Twitter.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
There's been a hell of a lot said about physical 4th liners being dinosaur hockey. In fact, this all came up because of criticism of Roussel as a tryout. Yesterday, we had complaints about Chris Stewart giving rookies a lesson on self-defense. The Deslauriers signing was bashed to the point of complaining about his picture being used on Twitter.
Again it's because they are SHIT players not because they are physical players.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Cool story, stop moving your own goal post.

Now I'll ask you for a second time, post a quote of a single person saying they don't want physicality on the 4th line. Not even the "everyone on this board" whine you keep repeating, a single person. This is what you were complaining about, it should be easy.

Again, I'll wait. And again, if you can't, admit you were strawmanning.

It's that easy.

Again it's because they are SHIT players not because they are physical players.
A concept so high level it eludes him to this day.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Imagine a lineup like this:

JVR - Couturier - Konecny
Laughton - Hayes - Farabee
Cates - Frost - Atkinson
Lindblom - Laczynski - Allison

No assets shipped out, a sink or swim mentality with certain young players, 4 switchable lines. I see real usable toughness, without a deficit of skill (at least in the lower part). Now, I won't do the "Add Gaudreau" game, which would bump everyone down and improve it drastically, while also getting rid of mediocre defenders and adding picks back.......but I just did.

No one can tell me with a straight face this isn't better than what they'll ice. It cost nothing but opportunity. That doesn't mean it's playoff caliber, but there's an actual step-back and evaluate plan to this one, with a path for further asset collecting. I don't think there would be vitriol to this lineup finishing 10th worst.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wouldn't even mind having a 13th forward with some toughness who played like 30-40 games. But instead they go out and pay double for a guy who will play all 82 games if healthy.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad