Injury Report: #2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); 1-year $874,125 qualifying offer (Oct. 16, '20)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean. Devils also drafted before us and they had the #1 pick. They didn’t get those players either.

hindsight is always 20/20. Imagine the Canadians drafting Claude Giroux instead of David Fischer lol. Every team can do this till the end of time.

Got to look at the whole drafting picture, if you re-do 2015, where does Myers get drafted? Same with Hart.

Every team makes mistakes in the 1st round, the ones that overcome them compensate by great moves elsewhere in the draft, like TB finding Point in the 2nd rd and Palat in the 7th, or us finding Lindblom in the 5th.

Now 1st rd picks have a much higher probability of hitting, so missing them consistently is the kiss of death.
But WHY you miss is more important than whether you miss, if it's bad luck (Patrick) you can live with it, if it's bad player evaluation you got issues.

Reactions: Accelleratii

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All hockey players are one bad hit from lifelong health problems. They know it's possible but they don't think about it because they want to play in the NHL.

Patrick is no different. He wants to play hockey, so if he's able to, he will.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
One high hit is a little further away these days since Lindros. When guys could end careers and laugh about it on the bench. It’s still possible and it’s prob more possible for Patrick to some level. If he called it quits I wouldn’t blame him at all but at this point if that’s a consideration he may as well take off another year and see. Of course I don’t think this is the case and I think he will be back at some point next year like Fletcher said.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
He has to make a living somehow..

Guys dont give up on their NHL careers that easily. For one, a 10 year career sets them up for life. For two, they love playing.
His uncle can give him some loot....one of few Rangers I actually didn't hate besides Hank. But seriously, realize he is not necessarily filthy rich but he has cash that people don't make in an entire lifetime or net. I would open up a business or pursue other work in the NHL or some other league. He isn't gonna be some pauper plus don't they get some form of disability benefits from the NHL as well?

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Like $3m. So after taxes around $1.8.

If he is not a big spender (say has like ~$1.2m left) and lives a frugal life he could live pretty happily for the next 60 years... assuming he did not spend a lot of that money already and invested some of what he has spent in a place to live he is happy in.

But I guess 75% of the population could not/would not want to live such a lifestyle.

Of course, he could certainly find a job in the sport at some level - or outside the sport - that would pay okay and allow less seepage from what he already has.

But I 99% think he will be back at some point really.

Plus he has whatever he makes from the next contract while he tries to come back so that's minimum 1 to maybe 3 mil if it's a 2-year. The Flyers will give him at least a couple seasons to try to sort things out I suspect, because they are good like that and are not a penny pinching franchise, and of course they want him to play. So he's be able to double that nest egg at the minimum I suspect, even if he ultimately can't play again.

His condition is so hard to predict that it makes sense from the Flyers perspective to be patient and retain his rights. The upside is high if the migraines can stay in check and there isn't a huge downside for them contract-wise since he never hit post ELC payday. It doesn't really mess with their cap too much to keep 1-1.5 earmarked for him for a couple of seasons and of course can LTIR him if they really need to for some reason.

I do suspect he will play again at some point but the bigger question is what happens after that and do the migraines stay away? It's just such an unpredictable and seemingly random thing. It's really a shame and I feel bad for the guy and anyone that has to suffer through them. It seems truly awful from the descriptions. :(

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Backstrom has had a long career, and I'm sure he'd been hit more than once. :DD

Just don't know. They don't even know the cause of the migraines, so they have no idea if contact would make them worse or be inconsequential.
I hear you but you can also name player's who have their careers cut short by injuries to the head and to date I have not heard a doctor say that they are 100% certain Nolan's condition does not rule out a concussion issue. Like I stated, I hope Nolan has a very long career with the Flyers.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Laughton apparently said he spoke with Patrick and that he is "excited about having Lindblom and Patrick back healthy next season."

That could be something..

Indeed. You figure Patrick would know if his headaches were fairly abated, and if triggers were few and far between.

Reactions: Rebels57

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
We've kind of lost sight of it, but the playoffs right now are already where the 2020/2021 season would be gearing up to start, and Patrick is still a question mark. Without covid he would 100% be sitting out his second season in a row, or at least the first half of it.

That is a huge red flag to me, it's basically him having 2+ years of trying to get back to a normal life, never mind playing professional hockey. His layoff is entering the territory where I'm starting to question if he will ever return. Not writing him off completely just yet, but his minuscule progress to this point is definitely concerning.

Poor dude. I really feel bad for him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We've kind of lost sight of it, but the playoffs right now are already where the 2020/2021 season would be gearing up to start, and Patrick is still a question mark. Without covid he would 100% be sitting out his second season in a row, or at least the first half of it.

That is a huge red flag to me, it's basically him having 2+ years of trying to get back to a normal life, never mind playing professional hockey. His layoff is entering the territory where I'm starting to question if he will ever return. Not writing him off completely just yet, but his minuscule progress to this point is definitely concerning.

Not necessarily, they kept him out of the playoffs as a precaution, but also b/c they figured he didn't have much to offer so why rush him?
Now he has until January or so to work through this and get into shape, a much easier deadline.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

There's not really an indication that he wouldn't be ready to start the 20-21 season had it been starting in October.

All that was said is he needs to get into contact situations, which is what training camp would have been for.

Too much speculation happening.

Reactions: Adtar02

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Not necessarily, they kept him out of the playoffs as a precaution, but also b/c they figured he didn't have much to offer so why rush him?
Now he has until January or so to work through this and get into shape, a much easier deadline.

Proof positive that AV is French Hak - you have established your mind meld with him and can read his thoughts.

Reactions: Starat327

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
There's not really an indication that he wouldn't be ready to start the 20-21 season had it been starting in October.

All that was said is he needs to get into contact situations, which is what training camp would have been for.

Too much speculation happening.
Was going to say the same. Not being part of playoffs. As a roster spot with out contact prior to. Has no bearing on anything other than playoffs.

Reactions: Rebels57

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Guys, when a fan from another team come and troll your board, just report and move on.

ParchedVictoriousAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Starat327

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

That's not true. The fact that we don't know if he's ready doesn't mean he isn't right now or hasn't been for a while now.

For all we and the team know, he could have been fine to play in this years playoffs but that wasn't even tested as an option because of how long it had been since he had last played and they weren't going to use him anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad