Injury Report: #2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); 1-year $874,125 qualifying offer (Oct. 16, '20)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Fun but...I'm still not excited until he plays an intense game/practice with the threat of contact
Yea he was doing this stuff months ago with the team. Happy to see it though and it means no setbacks. It’s also good bc it’s not a flyers regulated practice so there is more of a chance of contact than with all flyers players that will distance. It’s a good sign for sure!

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Nolan Patrick set to scrimmage... supposedly confirmed true... Fantastic news, and potentially a giant step.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not sure how true this is, but this is great news for Nolan Patrick if it is, and the Flyers for that matter. <a href="https://t.co/tqZMRur0Fz">pic.twitter.com/tqZMRur0Fz</a></p>&mdash; FlyersNittyGritty (@FlyersKnitty) <a href="">October 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is just a training group in Brandon usually run by Ty Lewis's dad . They are just having a a scrimmage , it,s nothing ground breaking .

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yea he was doing this stuff months ago with the team. Happy to see it though and it means no setbacks. It’s also good bc it’s not a flyers regulated practice so there is more of a chance of contact than with all flyers players that will distance. It’s a good sign for sure!
It's great that he's scrimmaging with other pros/jrs and he obviously has team permission - and doesn't have a contract yet. Good signs all around, esp. since the season isn't going to start for a few months.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
This is just a training group in Brandon usually run by Ty Lewis's dad . They are just having a a scrimmage , it,s nothing ground breaking .

Watching some of that video, I must agree that it is not really ground breaking for most players...no intentional hitting, but by no means a non-contact situation, and certainly not in a do not touch position. While not at a game level, for NP anf Flyers it has to be considered ground breaking of sorts. I would assume at some point, even this type action would set him off...keeping in mind that IIRC he did not participate in Camp, or if he did, it mas minimal and nothing more than practice drills. After Camp, I believe he did nothing more than regulated and supervised drills... skating with the extra players.

I'm guessing that this is great for the Flyers in gauging his coming back... if he gets through it fine, they use that in working out his new contract... if there is a concern coming out of this, Flyers have to weigh that in also, and for future planning.

Seems like he did okay... unless he had effects afterwards... and from what I could see, he looked good, although his hair flowing in the wind does add to the picture. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: wasup and Larry44

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Him playing is a complete bonus and should not be counted on all year. We know that we will have injuries at times to other forwards the icetime will be there if healthy.

But also with likely a condensed schedule, maybe he doesn't play b2b games. Or for all we know, maybe flying becomes a trigger due to altitude so he only plays home games.

Lots of ? with him this year. Playing and getting things under control would be a huge win for him, regardless how he plays.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Him playing is a complete bonus and should not be counted on all year. We know that we will have injuries at times to other forwards the icetime will be there if healthy.

But also with likely a condensed schedule, maybe he doesn't play b2b games. Or for all we know, maybe flying becomes a trigger due to altitude so he only plays home games.

Lots of ? with him this year. Playing and getting things under control would be a huge win for him, regardless how he plays.
I agree and hope the flyers at least look at it as “If not Patrick, then Frost” for the 3C. But I’m not sure they do. If they can get a good idea Patrick is good to go pretty soon then at least it stops them from getting another bum.

Reactions: Adtar02

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would be saying..."it's Frost...and if Patrick plays, they both play"
Think you have to take that stance. My point is I don’t know if they do. Maybe I’m just waiting for Patrick and good news but his recent mint scrimmage gives me hope! But hey, Patrick is playing on his own, Chuck says he expects him to play. Plus it’s flat out unlikely Patrick’s career is over from something that thankfully many hav been able to manage.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I would be saying..."it's Frost...and if Patrick plays, they both play"

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Patrick gets first dibs at 3C if he's healthy, but you have to assume his career can end at any time, until he plays a long enough stretch, takes some bad hits, and continues to play.

The problem is what do you do with Frost in the short-run?
He's LH with no RW experience, but Giroux, Farabee, JVR, Lindblom, Laughton.
You could move Laughton to 4C and Lindblom to 3RW, but you still need to move someone else for Frost to play LW.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Patrick gets first dibs at 3C if he's healthy, but you have to assume his career can end at any time, until he plays a long enough stretch, takes some bad hits, and continues to play.

The problem is what do you do with Frost in the short-run?
He's LH with no RW experience, but Giroux, Farabee, JVR, Lindblom, Laughton.
You could move Laughton to 4C and Lindblom to 3RW, but you still need to move someone else for Frost to play LW.

Farabee can play RW, and so can Oskar IIRC.

But, yeah, it's definitely becoming crowded. It's also pretty clear that a trade is needed, likely JVR.

G/Coots/Lindblom
Farabee/Hayes/TK
Frost/Patrick/Voracek
Raffl/Laughton/NAK
JVR
Sandin
Laczynski
Rubtsov

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Farabee can play RW, and so can Oskar IIRC.

But, yeah, it's definitely becoming crowded. It's also pretty clear that a trade is needed, likely JVR.

G/Coots/Lindblom
Farabee/Hayes/TK
Frost/Patrick/Voracek
Raffl/Laughton/NAK
JVR
Sandin
Laczynski
Rubtsov
What a nice problem to have.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think I'd rather start Patrick at 4C.
Yup.

And in no way should we be benching JVR, to play Raffl.

Yes JVR is streaky. But even with those streaks, can/will be a 25+25 guy. I personally would like to see:

Lindblom/Coots/Voracek-"heavy" 2 way line
G/Frost/TK-offensive fast line
JVR/Hayes/Farabee-puck hog line
Laughton/Patrick/NAK-this is a great 4th line-has speed, can hit, can produce
Raffl

And then you actually DO roll all 4 lines not worrying about chasing matchups.

Reactions: Adtar02

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Yup.

And in no way should we be benching JVR, to play Raffl.

Yes JVR is streaky. But even with those streaks, can/will be a 25+25 guy. I personally would like to see:

Lindblom/Coots/Voracek-"heavy" 2 way line
G/Frost/TK-offensive fast line
JVR/Hayes/Farabee-puck hog line
Laughton/Patrick/NAK-this is a great 4th line-has speed, can hit, can produce
Raffl

And then you actually DO roll all 4 lines not worrying about chasing matchups.

Unpopular opinion and likely not backed up with any real statistical evidence, but Raffl>JVR

Reactions: flyersnorth

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Unpopular opinion and likely not backed up with any real statistical evidence, but Raffl>JVR
I like Raffl...on the 4th line.

Reality is, we likely never have a time where every forward is healthy so they would all play anyways. Hell, with Patrick, even if deemed healthy, they could opt to sit him on b2b games early on. But these 13 if healthy gives us a very deep team that all should play...and then still have many other options for callups.

It's why it would be dumb to add another "depth" guy into the mix like re-signing Pitlick.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't think he is better as a player, but I think he maybe a better fit. JvR needs to be a scoring winger. That's about it. Which isn't bad and in the right situation he can be very good at it. He is a complimentary player. Raffl isn't a "better" player but probably has more of an impact on a regular basis because of his versatility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad