GDT: PS Game #6| FLYERS at NY Rangers |Mon., Sep. 29, 2014| 7:00 p.m. ET

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Absolutely, but so does better defense, offense, power play, penalty kill, etc. Over the course of an 82 game season, there is absolutely no way you can point to one thing and say THIS is why we didn't make the playoffs. Yes, a better backup likely leads to more wins. No argument there. But so does a better defense, no? So too does a better anything else.

Edit: **** it, nevermind. I don't feel like arguing with someone that takes pride in being the board's constant contrarian.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
Another season of people complaining about Zac Rinaldo and Ray Emery.

gotta love it.

The problem with Rinaldo is that now we have a surplus of NHL ready forwards who should be in the lineup yet Zac has virtually a guaranteed spot with only one NHL caliber skill. Laughton, Bellemare, Akeson, Jones, White (when healthy) are competing for a spot Rinaldo has somehow already solidified.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Another season of people complaining about Zac Rinaldo and Ray Emery.

gotta love it.

players like Rinaldo prevent the team from rolling 4 lines. rolling 4 lines has been a pretty successful formula for teams of late in the playoffs. see LA, Chicago for example. Do people still think that intimidation factor works in todays NHL?
don't complain about the officiating when his stupid crap costs the Flyers a game or 2.
I am not happy Emery is back but I think Hextall tried to look elsewhere and things just fell thru.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The problem with Rinaldo is that now we have a surplus of NHL ready forwards who should be in the lineup yet Zac has virtually a guaranteed spot with only one NHL caliber skill. Laughton, Bellemare, Akeson, Jones, White (when healthy) are competing for a spot Rinaldo has somehow already solidified.

Yup...that's my issue as well.

They would have been MUCH better off sitting him down before the summer and said:

"Next year is a make or break year for you. We need you to contribute more than just hitting and fighting. We need you to be solid defensively, practice the pk, and have WAYYY less penalties. You will also not be guaranteed a spot. You will be fighting for your 4th line spot. Come to camp ready to be a more complete hockey player and help the team"

Instead, they give him an extension that even surprised Rinaldo. At least have him trying his absolute best to earn his next contract. I will never question his desire and effort. But we do have other guys who are better that will be cut or in the AHL this year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Edit: **** it, nevermind. I don't feel like arguing with someone that takes pride in being the board's constant contrarian.

Aww, but I want to hear more about how the goalie is to blame at all times. What if Emery puts up decent numbers...will it be because of him that the team MADE the playoffs? What if Mason sucks too but the offense plays really well and they still win enough to be within a few points? That is Emery's fault as well? What if the power play is ranked bottom in the league throughout the year...Emery's fault we missed the playoffs? It is patently absurd to just have a blanket statement that if this team misses the playoffs by a handful of points it will be Emery's fault, even assuming he lives up to the reputation he has here as being the worst backup in the league (which I am not disputing, so please don't respond by saying that I am somehow arguing that Emery is my top choice as a backup). One player rarely, if ever makes or breaks a team, even on a game by game basis. It can happen, for sure, but it would have to be pretty ridiculous.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Aww, but I want to hear more about how the goalie is to blame at all times. What if Emery puts up decent numbers...will it be because of him that the team MADE the playoffs? What if Mason sucks too but the offense plays really well and they still win enough to be within a few points? That is Emery's fault as well? What if the power play is ranked bottom in the league throughout the year...Emery's fault we missed the playoffs? It is patently absurd to just have a blanket statement that if this team misses the playoffs by a handful of points it will be Emery's fault, even assuming he lives up to the reputation he has here as being the worst backup in the league (which I am not disputing, so please don't respond by saying that I am somehow arguing that Emery is my top choice as a backup). One player rarely, if ever makes or breaks a team, even on a game by game basis. It can happen, for sure, but it would have to be pretty ridiculous.

The topic was about Emery specifically, not a list of things that could possibly go wrong causing them to miss the playoffs. Emery is a bad goalie who is likely to cost the team some points that a good backup wouldn't. That's about the only point I was making. But please, give me another fifty hypothetical scenarios that could happen. Must be a slow day at the office...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The topic was about Emery specifically, not a list of things that could possibly go wrong causing them to miss the playoffs. Emery is a bad goalie who is likely to cost the team some points that a good backup wouldn't. That's about the only point I was making. But please, give me another fifty hypothetical scenarios that could happen. Must be a slow day at the office...

That's the point though...there are so many variables that your statement about missing the playoffs because of a bad backup is one with which I don't agree (and before you say, "I never said that," here is your quote: "I'm sure you'll feel the same way if the Flyers miss the playoffs by a handful of points because their backup is sub-NHL quality"). So while the topic may have been intended to be specifically about Emery, by elaborating that he would be the reason they missed playoffs, it opened you up for my response. If you had said Emery is not a good backup goalie and could cost the Flyers points that another goalie would not...I would not have said a peep, because that is a statement with which I agree. I just don't agree that if they miss the playoffs by any amount that we should be saying, "Thanks a lot Ray Emery, you are the reason we missed the playoffs." Again, that's a statement that could be said about almost any player/position/facet of the game if they miss the playoffs by a small margin (or hell even a big margin).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Leier-Laughton-Jones giving 100% effort will do a lot better than Read-Coots-Simmonds did last night.

Gordon - Schenn - Akeson
Leier - Laughton - Jones
Bellemare - Raffl - Rinaldo
Powe - Vandevelde - Stortini

My guess.

That looks accurate, except maybe they play Bellemare at center and Raffl on the wing.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
Don't know why we need another look at Powe/VV/Stortini. But I guess it wouldn't be a preseason game with Stortini getting his face punched in.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Well, Giroux could play tomorrow against NYR at WFC, Berube said. If that's true, Flyers will line-up strong roster at WFC but they will do it anyway IMO.

I hope this roster can keep it up today vs NYR, they have basically 2 first lines which could start the season, McDonagh, Staal, Boyle at back and Lundqvist in net. McIlrath and Glass also gonna play for them so we will not wait for fight somehow too much, I guess. Excited to see Bellemare finally! LGF!

Last edited:

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Looking forward to seeing how well Ghost and Morin hold up against the Ranger's aggressive forecheck. Will be a good test for both of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00