GDT: PS Game 5: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 9/27 4PM EDT

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Wennberg has been kind of "meh" for me this preseason in the 1.5 games I've seen, kind of expected a bit more. But, it'd be WAY to early to give up on him as a prospect already. I think some got ahead of themselves proclaiming he is ready for the NHL just after watching the prospect devo camp to be honest.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I thought Wennberg looked okay. He set up our goal and had a great chance of his own. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

There is still uncertainty (totally normal) about whether his scoring touch will translate into the NHL. But that's fine, and he'll get some AHL time to get used to the rinks and practice against guys he should be a bit better than.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
1. How can you be so sure that he is going to develop into a wonderful player. Prospects fail to adjust every year. Many are called fewer pan out.

Wennberg is already mobile skater with good size, has ice intelligence rarely found in prospects and has shown throughout the camps that he can also provide towards goals being scored.

Utilitarian performance also in latest U20 WJC final where was the best Swedish skater.

Compare that with Penguins latest first round pick Kapanen who had one powerplay goal and their organization is already rushing him into NHL.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
With all the chatter about Wennberg I looked up his stats and was quite surprised he has only scored 14 and 16 goals over the last 2 years. I thought for an early first rounder his numbers were under whelming, even considering playing in the Swedish league against men. High hockey IQ is great but I can see where some might think he is over rated. I kept digging and saw Dano had 3 goals last year which surprised me equally. Strange numbers really for first rounders that have the big number ELC's. I don't question their talent, but wonder if they are ready for the NHL.

Wennberg isn't ready for the NHL (like, ready to play to his potential and contribute big production, I mean), but to clarify - 16 goals is pretty darn good for a kid. Simon Hjalmarsson is 25, a seasoned veteran in the SHL and was T-3rd in goals last year ... with "only" 27. Charmer also played 5 more games and averaged 4+ minutes more TOI/game.

If Wennberg was in the SHL this year, he'd be averaging 18+ on the top line of probably the best team in the league, and I'm sure he'd produce very impressive stats. But obviously the AHL will help his development more.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
With all the chatter about Wennberg I looked up his stats and was quite surprised he has only scored 14 and 16 goals over the last 2 years. I thought for an early first rounder his numbers were under whelming, even considering playing in the Swedish league against men. High hockey IQ is great but I can see where some might think he is over rated. I kept digging and saw Dano had 3 goals last year which surprised me equally. Strange numbers really for first rounders that have the big number ELC's. I don't question their talent, but wonder if they are ready for the NHL.

No offense intended, but if may be of more use for you to question your current understanding of the different European professional leagues, and how they relate to the NHL. 16 goals in the SEL for an 18/19 year old is OUTSTANDING.

EDIT: I think it was abundantly clear for anybody who's been around hockey for much of their life, that Wennberg's 1st Pre-Season goal told us everything we needed to know about the kid's skill level and thought process. It was such a goal scorer's goal, and done as calmly & efficiently as any NHL star in his first game. I'm not saying he will (or even should) make the starting roster, for I haven't seen enough to judge fairly, but from what I have seen... he could be an asset as soon as this year. And I'm not a Columbus fan (or a fan of any team, for any who might care). He's certainly an improvement on some players I saw in Blue Jacket uniform last season... and I can't help but shake my head at the naysayers already in attendance, considering what he has displayed already. If you could have seen a Pavel Brendl (4th Overall) training camp...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2