Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
My attitude towards drugs is pretty liberal but an employer has the right to decide who they trust working for their company or not. It's not just Walmart, a lot of employers would wanna know if their employees are using or not. Especially in sports when you invest millions into the guy.

Yeah addiction is a bitch but it's on the player for not seeking help before it jeopardized his entire career.
Walmart's drugtests are a testament to the US being a third world country regarding workers' rights and are in no proportion to what is appropriate.

A company buying a service from an individual doesn't give them the right to ask for medical tests unless it's closely relevant to the job (health industry, etc.)

Even less so in an entertainment business like the NHL.

Addiction certainly is a daunting challenge for an affected individual but it's none of the employers business per se. If theres a negative effect on the employee's performance, there's always the option to fire someone, but that clearly wasn't the case with Nishuskin.

That being said, if there were other issues e g. in the locker room that we don't know about that's a different story.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
He'll get another job in the NHL pending that he is clean yet he may relapse as someone pointed out it's only around three months since his last stint in rehab.

Of course if he was a mid to scrub type player he'd be out of the league. Highly skilled players get many chances in elite sports I've seen over the years.

Reactions: DaveG and Fatass

Strangle

May 4, 2009
What does stage 3 even mean?

Walmart's drugtests are a testament to the US being a third world country regarding workers' rights and are in no proportion to what is appropriate.

A company buying a service from an individual doesn't give them the right to ask for medical tests unless it's closely relevant to the job (health industry, etc.)

Even less so in an entertainment business like the NHL.

Addiction certainly is a daunting challenge for an affected individual but it's none of the employers business per se. If theres a negative effect on the employee's performance, there's always the option to fire someone, but that clearly wasn't the case with Nishuskin.

That being said, if there were other issues e g. in the locker room that we don't know about that's a different story.

There is already a reason he his taking drug tests, they don’t drug test every NHL player.

It could be as simple as it’s part of being in the treatment program. It’s nothing to do with being a “3rd world country”

He was in the player assistance program to begin with for something to begin with, they don’t just randomly drug test NHL players.

And if they did, we would see a lot more suspensions around the league

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Hypocrisy is human nature.. it is embedded in every aspect of human culture. How you are determining what and where is a "hotbed" for it is kinda comical.
Speak for yourself. There are obviously ways and indicators to determine if an organization's or even a country's conduct meets the criteria of honesty and trustworthiness.
If you choose to discard those qualities altogether because of alleged "human nature" then there won't be much common ground as a basis for discussion.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Did we ever find out what really happened last playoffs, where he was also suspended mid-playoffs with that whole crazy “heavily intoxicated human-trafficked woman in his hotel room” situation? Ugly details of hotel room incident involving Valeri Nichushkin

Is everyone here so sheltered? I've been on both sides of this coin. It's called a night out. The odd thing is that Nik can't keep his business clean, unlike other NHLers.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think we will know by June 30th. To me, a buyout is their only option. Trading him at this point seems unlikely, given his recurring issues and money/term left on his contract.

They could try to just outright terminate his contract, but seeing as how he still has "step 4" of the assistance program, I'm sure the NHLPA would fight any sort of outright termination.

I don't see any scenario where the Avs are able to just walk away free and clear of this contract.
I think they'll lean on him to terminate with cause and give him a settlement.

I think he's in the KHL next year.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Or opperating forklift.
Exactly. I'm in the mechanical services industry, supervising technicians who work on heavy machinery. They do everything from change the oil to rebuild the machines. We perform random drug tests, partially because our clients and insurance carriers require it. Nobody wants a guy to come on strung out on cocaine and potentially kill himself working on a machine.

Reactions: DaveG

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Exactly. I'm in the mechanical services industry, supervising technicians who work on heavy machinery. They do everything from change the oil to rebuild the machines. We perform random drug tests, partially because our clients and insurance carriers require it. Nobody wants a guy to come on strung out on cocaine and potentially kill himself working on a machine.
What someone does in their off hours for Wal-Mart "wages" shouldn't be a concern, BUT employees should definitely be responsible for not being at work under the influence.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It's extremely relevant to the job if you're working at Walmart handling large sums of money.

Well then if you want to know how they handle large sums of money maybe test them on how they handle large sums of money instead. It’s not like 99.99% of people walk into their Walmart job and are handed a million bucks to deal with.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the easiest. Test for what you are actually looking for. Imagine that.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Everyone's saying "he'll get a job elsewhere". Looks like he still has a contract with Colorado? I don't think they're going to be able to void the contract while he's still going through the procedure present in the CBA.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Everyone's saying "he'll get a job elsewhere". Looks like he still has a contract with Colorado? I don't think they're going to be able to void the contract while he's still going through the procedure present in the CBA.
I mean who knows what details end up coming out but as it stands, if insiders say the Avs probably can't terminate the contract then doubtful anything that bad has happened (as in something illegal in addition to substance use). I would bet there are teams in the league who would be willing to give him another chance, he's such a unique player. One of the best power forwards in the league, and a proven playoff performer (when he's available lol). And I doubt the Avs have issues in getting him to waive his NMC when it's obvious he's not particularly welcome to the Avs locker room after this.

But this is not going to happen until he comes back.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Well then if you want to know how they handle large sums of money maybe test them on how they handle large sums of money instead. It’s not like 99.99% of people walk into their Walmart job and are handed a million bucks to deal with.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the easiest. Test for what you are actually looking for. Imagine that.

Exactly. And the easiest solution is not hiring people with drug problems.

1. There are better and less intrusive ways to insure that an employee doesn't steal or make costly mistakes.
2. All I'm saying is work performance shouldn't be judged by blood tests.

1. Of course! The best way is not hiring them from the beginning.
2. It's not about work performance, it's about mitigating risk. You don't want people under the influence, or affected by drug use in other ways, like in desperate need of money to buy more, in the work place.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
He's one of the best players on the Avs and has an 8-year deal...his contract is not going to get terminated and he will remain in Colorado.
Fine, then I can ask: Why is it required of workers to not use recreative drugs if it doesn't affect their work?
Or using those same drugs outside of work. Employers don't own people's bodies just because they are employees.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I thought about this too.

On one hand, good on the NHL by prohibiting drug use for those who have entered the program. They don’t want the program to just be abused as a “drop in” type place for guys to go as an excuse when their wives/families catch them doing drugs. That’s obviously the easiest escape from these situations. You betray your pregnant wife with a hooker and drugs in a hotel in Seattle and she threatens to leave you, you say it’s a problem and you need help. You play the victim. You’re an absolute scumbag because of it but you get away with it. That seems like the easy escape for sure. And I’m sure it’s been abused plenty.

But then there’s the other side. The NHL doesn’t prohibit recreational drug use from any other players. Only those who have been in the program. I wonder how many NHL players actually knew this rule? Are we going to see players try to solve their problems themselves instead of using the program because in their heads they want to be able to sneak a rip here and there at the occasional shaker down the road?

Whoa, a well-reasoned take!

It’s absolutely a problem that the nhl is kinda contradictory here- players should ask for help, we’re doing much better there, but once in the program they get tested. That’s clearly gonna scare off some guys who have issues.

At the same time, if it’s cocaine or meth or somethin- that’s arguably performance enhancing. f***ing ruins your long term health, don’t do it, but to focus on a game? Absolutely could be a thing.

I had a problem with the lack of resolution regarding the hotel incident, glad things are clearly ok. Good job league. If the NFL or NBA swept half the shit under the rug the nhl does..

Reactions: DaveG

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Yes, unironically. Bunch of fields where you have to get drug tested. I get randoms every now and then as a truck driver. If I get caught, regardless of if it's on the job or not, I'm done and never getting another job again.
Thats a lie and you know it...That being said is Nichushkin operating heavy machinery that can kill other people?

Just a terrible hot take...

• Haha
Reactions: Rafafouille

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Again, no it's not. Drugs like cocaine don't cripple a players ability to perform. Often they increase it. I'm sure it's decreasing now, but 80% of all NHL players in history could be classified as drug addicts or alcoholics.
Wow, i couldn't agree less with what you said. Any drug addiction(not casual drug use)has a debilitating effect on all facets of your life. I am also pretty damn sure that 80% of the NHL are not addicts. The number is probably closer to what is found in the general population, 10-20%, depending on definitions and how the stats are complied. 80% is an absurd exaggeration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad