GDT: PS Game 5: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 9/27 4PM EDT

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
I think Wennberg is a little overrated. I expect him to be the player Calvert is. I'm already expecting to get a bunch of crap for saying this because the past three months all the fans have talked about is Johansen's contract and Wennberg.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I think Wennberg is a little overrated. I expect him to be the player Calvert is. I'm already expecting to get a bunch of crap for saying this because the past three months all the fans have talked about is Johansen's contract and Wennberg.

He looks good when he's given room. However, as soon as a team seems to start hitting, he doesn't look up to task (That's my limited observation of him. Can't attend practice). I'd guess that Rychel might be the one to look at. He can play physical and has a nose for the net. He's on my personal radar

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

personally, I rate Anderson and Rychel ahead of him to this point.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

Only Barkov from 2013 first round draft picks has better ice intelligence than Wennberg.

I wouldn't be so worried about of his physical game either. Winning duels with stick is often better than committing yourself into "battle". Wennberg took 2/2 stick fighting victories while writing this post.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You could see today that our D weren't supporting our forwards as much in the O-zone, while the Penguins D were making excellent pinches. That was the biggest factor that made this a one-sided tilt. Granted this is only a partial lineup, but it illustrates the dropoff when your smarter defenders are out. And I think Murray and Erixon are our two brightest light bulbs back there, so its going to sting if they're still hurt to start the regular season.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Only Barkov from 2013 first round draft picks has better ice intelligence than Wennberg.

I wouldn't be so worried about of his physical game either. Winning duels with stick is often better than committing yourself into "battle". Wennberg took 2/2 stick fighting victories while writing this post.

Lindholm as well, but yes still a fair point.

Wennberg isn't overrated on here at all. If you expected him to be overly physical that's your own fault. He's smart about actions he engages in whether that be stick work or protecting/pursuing the puck.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I was glad to see the Jackets finish the game a little stronger than they started. The D was bad.

Wennberg made a nice return pass to Gibbons for the assist. Calvert was skating. There was no chemistry between D and forwards and vise versa. This was an evaluation game for sure, making some easy decisions for FO.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It only took 2 preseason games for someone to say Wennberg is overrated and already have a career outlook for him. Wow

Dexter20

Dec 18, 2013
With all the chatter about Wennberg I looked up his stats and was quite surprised he has only scored 14 and 16 goals over the last 2 years. I thought for an early first rounder his numbers were under whelming, even considering playing in the Swedish league against men. High hockey IQ is great but I can see where some might think he is over rated. I kept digging and saw Dano had 3 goals last year which surprised me equally. Strange numbers really for first rounders that have the big number ELC's. I don't question their talent, but wonder if they are ready for the NHL.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
With all the chatter about Wennberg I looked up his stats and was quite surprised he has only scored 14 and 16 goals over the last 2 years. I thought for an early first rounder his numbers were under whelming, even considering playing in the Swedish league against men. High hockey IQ is great but I can see where some might think he is over rated. I kept digging and saw Dano had 3 goals last year which surprised me equally. Strange numbers really for first rounders that have the big number ELC's. I don't question their talent, but wonder if they are ready for the NHL.

Well they're not really supposed to be NHL ready, being so young. And 16 goals in the SHL is actually a pretty big number for a 19 year old.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

They played with men last year…..way higher leagues than Anderson or Rychel or any other prospects. I don't think you understand how hard it is to score 16 goals as an 18 year old.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Wennberg and Calvert are not even close to the same type of player - and they never will be. I don't understand this comparison at all.

Wennberg is a young, highly skilled player, but he isn't ready for the NHL, IMO. Others have said the same since development camp. He should develop into a heck of a player, he's just very young. Anytime there's a player like that, fans can get ahead of themselves and have unrealistic expectations. I don't know that this translates to 'overrated'.

There are plenty of threads discussing other things than Wennberg and Johansen. Don't exaggerate.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wennberg isn't flashy, I think some of you guys were expecting flashy.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The issue for me with Wennberg is that a player can be "ready" for the NHL with regards to both skill and physicality, yet still not be "ready." Recent examples are Johansen and Voracek who had great skill and excellent frames but needed to mature a bit.

So I think it is possible for Wennberg to look like he is ready with skill and physicality but still not be truly ready for the NHL full time.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't see any of the game today so I can't comment on Wennberg's play today. I'd give him a couple more preseason games before making a firm decision, but right now, I wouldn't mind him starting the year in springfield. He'll be a keeper but he's got lots of developing to do.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I thought the team was fine tonight. Far from the lineup we'll see when the games start to matter; but the kids hung in there okay with a Pittsburgh lineup that had several more regulars in it.

I thought Calvert looked like he was in mid-season form.

Dexter20

Dec 18, 2013
They played with men last year…..way higher leagues than Anderson or Rychel or any other prospects. I don't think you understand how hard it is to score 16 goals as an 18 year old.

I get it , that's why I referenced playing with men in orig post, I guess I just expect more results then we got in Traverse and the exy games Wennberg has played in. Shouldn't he be standing out if he's played against men the last 2 seasons? Getting primo PP time as well and not exciting me sorry.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj

Best line of the thread IMO.

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
Wennberg and Calvert are not even close to the same type of player - and they never will be. I don't understand this comparison at all.

Wennberg is a young, highly skilled player, but he isn't ready for the NHL, IMO. Others have said the same since development camp. He should develop into a heck of a player, he's just very young. Anytime there's a player like that, fans can get ahead of themselves and have unrealistic expectations. I don't know that this translates to 'overrated'.

There are plenty of threads discussing other things than Wennberg and Johansen. Don't exaggerate.

1. How can you be so sure that he is going to develop into a wonderful player. Prospects fail to adjust every year. Many are called fewer pan out.

2. Obviously there are other threads that aren't about Wennberg and Johansen but this is about 50% of the talk.

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
Also if you learned what kind of skates he uses and the way he uses them via CBJ HF boards you know people are getting to excited about him.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I thought the game went ok for who was out there. I am not a Madaisky fan as of yet, and wonder why he hasn't been sent down yet. Maybe I am too harsh on the guy, but he seems to make a lot of mistakes.

Wasn't anyone that really stood out, but I thought they played a good team game after the first period. Seems that first periods are still our Waterloo.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Seems that first periods are still our Waterloo.

We often don't activate the defence (read: they don't pinch) until after we're down a goal or two. Once they start stepping up our possession is decent, and we often come from behind, but yeah its not a good way to start a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad