GDT: PS Game #3| FLYERS at Toronto |Tue., Sep. 23, 2014| 7:30 p.m. ET

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Every player is going to have a different build, and a different ideal weight (look at Simmonds). Somebody like Timonen, who was only 5'10" weighed in around 194, where as Ghost who is also 5'10" will probably never play at a weight near that because he's not nearly as "wide."

Besides, there's such a small sample size of players with similar builds to Morin that it doesn't give you a whole lot to compare to.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not at all, the average height and weight for NBA players (a comparable as they are also pro athletes) is 220ish at 6'7". 230 is not skinny at that height for a hockey player.

Yeah it's not the 90's anymore where hockey players are walking around at their max weight.

I'm not even sure if Morin could realistically add 40-50 lbs. anyway. He already plays a close to NHL schedule in juniors.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Yeah it's not the 90's anymore where hockey players are walking around at their max weight.

I'm not even sure if Morin could realistically add 40-50 lbs. anyway. He already plays a close to NHL schedule in juniors.

Was at the game last night Morin was by far the best Flyer. He made one terrible play when he lost the puck from Nylander but he was dead tired and he had no outlet as everyone was dying to get off for a change. He was Prongeresque last night and showed good flashes of offensive ability. Was not impressed with Laughton or any other Flyer. Lots of duds last night from both teams. JVR was the only Leaf that impressed. Del Zotto was terrible last night so was Mase

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Mason was not terrible. He was almost as good as he was in the playoffs against the Rangers, and he had to be because the defense gave up juicy scoring chances all night long.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Half of our team and prospect pool was playing against a good chunk of the Leafs' actual roster. Of course our team is gonna look like something from a pickup game.

All I'm looking for is individual merits and how well the experimental D pairings are working. Otherwise I expect the on-ice product to show chemistry closer to alchemists trying to turn lead into gold, not Pfizer formulating new chemo therapies.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Mason was not terrible. He was almost as good as he was in the playoffs against the Rangers, and he had to be because the defense gave up juicy scoring chances all night long.

I love Mason (my favorite Flyer goalie in decades) but you need to get a pair of glasses. He let 2 of three clunkers last night (left before last goal). Its first pre season game its no big deal but dont say he was almost as good as the Ranger series:shakehead

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Call me crazy but I loved checkmanek (spelled wrong I'm sure) and esche lol

Cechmanek, man with the greatest touch for colour combination. Going green+yellow on our national team (traditionally red+white+blue)... :laugh:

cechmanek-roman-1999-00-ofs-no254.jpg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I love Mason (my favorite Flyer goalie in decades) but you need to get a pair of glasses. He let 2 of three clunkers last night (left before last goal). Its first pre season game its no big deal but dont say he was almost as good as the Ranger series:shakehead

Not fair to Mason. He is to blame for the JVR goal. If he was standing, there is no goal. This does not absolve Simmonds, who gets all the rest.

On the shorthanded goal, Del Zotto made a good play and actually took the pass away, or at least made it an impossible angle. If Simmonds hadn't slowed down the pass with a desperation attempt to break up the pass (can't blame him for trying) , throwing Mason off, there would have been no goal on that one either. Mason was playing the original bang-bang play and went down accordingly. When the pass was slowed down, it made it easier for Kozun and harder for Mason.

The third goal was screened by Rinaldo, who failed to block it, then deflected off Luke. Again, how is that the goalie's fault?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Mason's not really to blame on that first goal either. He was down in an attempt to take away the far side, which is where that play goes 9 times out of 10. JVR just made a play that 99% of the league can't make by turning his hands over and sailing a puck right by Mason's ear. Mason was playing the odds that JVR would try to shoot far side or cut across the crease for a far side stuff attempt.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Which goal was a clunker? It's not Mason's fault when a shot that's going wide gets deflected off Luke Schenn.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Which goal was a clunker? It's not Mason's fault when a shot that's going wide gets deflected off Luke Schenn.

JVR goal was not played properly (he left the top of the net open on what should have been an impossible angle). The deflected goal he had plenty of time to react to a shot that was not that hard. Its no big deal but if that was in the playoffs it would have been. The comment someone made was he played as well as he did last year vs Rags in playoffs.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
JVR goal was not played properly (he left the top of the net open on what should have been an impossible angle). The deflected goal he had plenty of time to react to a shot that was not that hard. Its no big deal but if that was in the playoffs it would have been. The comment someone made was he played as well as he did last year vs Rags in playoffs.

The JVR goal wasn't a bad one. 95 times out of 100, that's a save or the shot misses the net altogether. He's playing the percentages. Sometimes you have to give credit to the shooter.

Had he taken that angle away, he leaves a higher percentage hole open and it's more difficult for him to play a low shot or a play across the goalmouth. Lower odds of making a save in that situation.

In other words, if Mason plays it the same way 100 times, he'll stop more than if he plays it your way 100 times.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00