GDT: PS Game #3| FLYERS at Toronto |Tue., Sep. 23, 2014| 7:30 p.m. ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
:laugh: It really blows about the loss of Timmonen(sp?) whats the plan to fill the hole?

It was likely going to be a top pairing of Coburn-Timonen, now I have no clue. It could be Coburn-MacDonald, but MacDonald is noticeably better when paired with Streit. So if that pair is together it leaves Coburn, Grossmann, Del Zotto, and Schenn. It looks like Del Zotto and Schenn will be together which would mean that Grossmann would be with Coburn, which would be a disaster in my opinion. Or maybe Berube is determined to have Coburn and MacDonald together which would put Streit with Grossmann.

So basically... I have no idea.

bobbyt911

Both Laurdisen and Morin are 6'7'' (I think), but if you noticed a big guy who was slow, clumsy, and stupid then that was definitely Lauridsen.

It was likely going to be a top pairing of Coburn-Timonen, now I have no clue. It could be Coburn-MacDonald, but MacDonald is noticeably better when paired with Streit. So if that pair is together it leaves Coburn, Grossmann, Del Zotto, and Schenn. It looks like Del Zotto and Schenn will be together which would mean that Grossmann would be with Coburn, which would be a disaster in my opinion. Or maybe Berube is determined to have Coburn and MacDonald together which would put Streit with Grossmann.

So basically... I have no idea.

Welll the B's may be getting rid of a decent D man, can the Flyers make the $$ work?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Welll the B's may be getting rid of a decent D man, can the Flyers make the $$ work?

Nah, we don't need more mid-pairing defensemen, and definitely not at a cost. What we basically need to do (in my opinion) is be patient and wait until our prospects are ready (as soon as partway through this season or next year) and then make room for them. What we need is a #1D and we're not getting that in a trade. We just need to hope that one of our guys ends up as one or, if that doesn't happen, that we can create a well balanced D with a mix of two way, defensive, and offensive types who are all great skaters and good with the puck. Hopefully that can make up for the absence of a #1.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

No point in spending assets when we're not contenders and our D pipeline is as good as it is. If anything, by the time our D develops and we're clear contenders (so, several years in the future) it might be wise to trade for a forward or two.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
I haven't seen a ton of Morin, but last 2 games I thought he has looked awful. I expected more physicality, and to be more noticeable. He's had a few bad turnovers and hasn't looked "mean" out there. Granted, the leafs iced basically all their NHL regulars. And Laughton has been invisible. Kinda disappointed with the young guns right now.

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
Leafs fan coming in peace.
We obviously iced more of our NHL regulars than your team did so obviously the score board is going to show that, but I just wanted to say that two of your players that I really enjoyed watching and thought looked head and shoulders above the rest of the team was: Cousins and Akeson. Was very impressed by them, and although they didn't score they were definitely noticeable on the ice.

... And thank you for JVR ;)

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I haven't seen a ton of Morin, but last 2 games I thought he has looked awful. I expected more physicality, and to be more noticeable. He's had a few bad turnovers and hasn't looked "mean" out there. Granted, the leafs iced basically all their NHL regulars. And Laughton has been invisible. Kinda disappointed with the young guns right now.

I thought Morin looked good tonight. Yes, he had one horrible turnover. But he did lots of encouraging things. He's trending fine imo. I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Count me as one of the guys who thought Schultz played pretty decently in London. Tonight in Toronto... :help:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I thought Morin looked good tonight. Yes, he had one horrible turnover. But he did lots of encouraging things. He's trending fine imo. I'm not sure what you were expecting.

As did I. I guess he hasn't been physical in the sense of delivering big hits, dropping the gloves, or with his stickwork but he has been aggressive in the rough areas of the ice. He's been playing a pretty smart & simple game which is fine for a 19 year old defensemen who won't be in our lineup this year. He's still a little awkward in his movements but he's still growing & getting used to his body. He actually looks less awkward this year compared to last year & it will lessen even more with time.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
As did I. I guess he hasn't been physical in the sense of delivering big hits, dropping the gloves, or with his stickwork but he has been aggressive in the rough areas of the ice. He's been playing a pretty smart & simple game which is fine for a 19 year old defensemen who won't be in our lineup this year. He's still a little awkward in his movements but he's still growing & getting used to his body. He actually looks less awkward this year compared to last year & it will lessen even more with time.

This is spot on. His improvement is clearly noticeable. We should all be nothing but encouraged by his progress. I actually think he looks much smoother and in control than even a couple months ago at the WJC summer games. Maybe he was just a tad rusty because it was mid summer, or he has actually progressed a bit since then. Either way, I'll take it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Did something happen to a Couturier????

Just turned in TSN, and they were saying how in preseason, you just want your good players to stay healthy. They then mentioned Staal getting hurt and said you saw it with a Couturier too!!!

Did he get hurt? :(

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Did something happen to a Couturier????

Just turned in TSN, and they were saying how in preseason, you just want your good players to stay healthy. They then mentioned Staal getting hurt and said you saw it with a Couturier too!!!

Did he get hurt? :(
Yes. Colton Orr took a run at him near the end of the game and Couts was favouring his right wrist. Looked like he jammed it. He finished the shift in anger but it would not surprise me if we find out it stiffened up overnight.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
This is spot on. His improvement is clearly noticeable. We should all be nothing but encouraged by his progress. I actually think he looks much smoother and in control than even a couple months ago at the WJC summer games. Maybe he was just a tad rusty because it was mid summer, or he has actually progressed a bit since then. Either way, I'll take it.

I concur. Morin showed good hockey sense and skill to go with his very good skating. He is a smart player.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yes. Colton Orr took a run at him near the end of the game and Couts was favouring his right wrist. Looked like he jammed it. He finished the shift in anger but it would not surprise me if we find out it stiffened up overnight.

Well that sucks.

Hopefully nothing major.

bobbyt911

Nah, we don't need more mid-pairing defensemen, and definitely not at a cost. What we basically need to do (in my opinion) is be patient and wait until our prospects are ready (as soon as partway through this season or next year) and then make room for them. What we need is a #1D and we're not getting that in a trade. We just need to hope that one of our guys ends up as one or, if that doesn't happen, that we can create a well balanced D with a mix of two way, defensive, and offensive types who are all great skaters and good with the puck. Hopefully that can make up for the absence of a #1.

Well hey if this yr goes bad your all but guaranteed to get a #1 D in the draft. Same for my Leafs, if this yr goes bad we may be able to get Sundin 2.0.
With some of the guys we all ready have if we can get a true #1 C IMO the Leafs would be in a good position. Rielly could become a #1 D or at min a solid #2, same with Gardiner. So could have 3 solid #2's in Dion, Rielly and Gardiner. Then up front Nylander is a cpl yrs away from being a top 6 c or wing that could make the Leafs top 6 deadly with Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul, Bozak and Nylander.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Just for my explanation of what I meant.

Laughton is going to be 21 come next season (meaning, what he will be next time he sees NHL chances under the hypothetical he doesn't make it this season). Also, our NHL center depth really is pretty bad in terms of competency. We have Giroux. Then a most defensively-oriented stud in Couturier. As for Schenn, in scoring he's a low-end 2C as you said...which with emphasis on the "low-end" part is okay I guess? He doesn't excel defensively (excel being a choice word) and he can't win face-offs so as a player and scorer he's a low-end second liner. As a C, not my ideal choice currently. Then it's Lecavalier and traffic cones. It's really not hard to force your way into that, especially if Schenn is going to be on the first line as a winger all year. Then a competition of Lecavalier and...God knows who isn't exactly tough. He should be able to force at least a taste into there at some point considering both his age and competition.

I also said "begin to question". Generally though I "begin to question" most 21 year-old prospects that have had several years of moderate hype year after year. Weak competition and a GM favoring youth moment only encourage me to question it.

So, keep in mind the context of the situation and hypothetical.

Your expectations of Laughton are not in line with reality. Laughton is not an elite prospect, but rather a very good one. There's nothing wrong with him not showing much potential in the NHL at only 21 years old as a late first round pick. Hell, Schenn was a top five pick and we're still not sure what he's capable of in the NHL at the age of 23. Not every prospect is like Couturier where they become vital to a team's success as a teenager. Plus, just being better than Schenn and Lecavalier doesn't mean he'll have a spot on the roster. You can't just snap your fingers and make Vinny disappear. And with Vinny being a veteran on a big money contract, you can bet that Laughton will have to wait his turn versus them playing him in place of Vinny. You also left out Raffl who Berube seems to like at center as well.

I actually think Laughton should be the fourth line center heading into the season. I'm not sure he'll ever bring the offense to force his way into the top six, which means he'll always be in that shutdown/energy role for this club. Might as well start grooming him for that role now in limited minutes, so he's completely comfortable at the NHL level by the time this team is ready to compete in 2-5 years. I've been saying it for a year or so now, but Laughton, to me, looks a lot like a Chris Kelly type. He's the kind of guy that can take on the tough defensive assignments on the third line while chipping in some offense here or there. If he can become that, then the Flyers will be in a much better position overall.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

He didn't really skate a lot in the summer because of that ankle injury he had last year. He wasn't at his best at the WJ camp.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Didn't see the game last night, but it sounds like there were some ups and downs. Did Laughton play, and if so, how'd he look?

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Nylander really stood out, he looks really promising. For what it's worth, he made Morin and Schultz look like fools.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

Didn't he get asked to fight like 6 times and actually fight one person in his first game?

Other than that, sounds good to me. Too many defensemen try to play physical and go for big hits and put themselves out of position. I'd rather he worry about playing the puck than going for big hits. Stickwork is something that he could probably work on though, especially with that reach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad