GDT: PS Game #3| FLYERS at Toronto |Tue., Sep. 23, 2014| 7:30 p.m. ET

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
akeson has really great vision, his passing is on point. could really use him.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I haven't seen a ton of Morin, but last 2 games I thought he has looked awful. I expected more physicality, and to be more noticeable. He's had a few bad turnovers and hasn't looked "mean" out there. Granted, the leafs iced basically all their NHL regulars. And Laughton has been invisible. Kinda disappointed with the young guns right now.

Yeah idk what you were watching re: Morin. He made a couple sketchy plays, but he did a lot of good things. His first couple strides and his overall skating ability is unbelievable for a guy his size. I also noticed he has a pretty decent ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone already at a young age. I could really see his offensive game come full swing this year.

But I don't think he's been awful by any means. I actually thought he was one of the lone bright spots last night.

Laughton however has been pretty invisible.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Yeah idk what you were watching re: Morin. He made a couple sketchy plays, but he did a lot of good things. His first couple strides and his overall skating ability is unbelievable for a guy his size. I also noticed he has a pretty decent ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone already at a young age. I could really see his offensive game come full swing this year.

But I don't think he's been awful by any means. I actually thought he was one of the lone bright spots last night.

Laughton however has been pretty invisible.

I thought Morin played excellent, and I was really following him around. He bobbled the puck a bit, but he made some solid passes and got the puck out regularly. He also made a really great rush by himself getting into the zone, but no one followed and he just swung it in.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Anyone else get the feeling watching this game that this was exactly what the flyers talked about not doing this off season? Players Running around taking undisciplined penalties then getting scored on with a man down. Selfish Plays, Turn Overs and Individual Efforts? It was an awful game but it just felt like it was the complete opposite of how Berube preached that he wanted them to play.

One thing that was specifically annoying was the fact that after Stortini got out of the box from one of his penalties, Berube put him immediately back on the ice...maybe it was just the fact they were trying to run 4 lines, i dunno just frustrated me.

Its hard to make Rosehill look like a good choice but so far I'd prefer him over Rinaldo or Stortini, if it means less minor penalties. For the record I've always been okay with Rinaldo.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Ah, I see we're already running into the problem I've been predicting for a while. We're expecting Morin to be extremely noticeable because we've all harbored an unconscious desire for him to be the heir to Chris Pronger. Even if none of us ever believed it would happen, there's a subconscious disappointment when he doesn't stand out as this imposing, dominant force.

The reality is that Morin is the kind of defenseman who makes strong plays on the wall, solid short passes that get the puck up ice effectively, and uses his size and reach to neutralize threats on the rush. Those are not skills that stand out when watching a game under normal conditions. And if he isn't standing out, people will be disappointed because that means he's not playing like Pronger.

When evaluating Morin, I hope people try to hone in on those skills rather than his (lack of) ability to wreck someone at open ice, carry the puck up ice, or dictate the pace of the game. If you were hoping for those things (consciously or not), you will be disappointed by him, unfortunately.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Didn't he get asked to fight like 6 times and actually fight one person in his first game?

Other than that, sounds good to me. Too many defensemen try to play physical and go for big hits and put themselves out of position. I'd rather he worry about playing the puck than going for big hits. Stickwork is something that he could probably work on though, especially with that reach.

Yeah during the rookie game though. Even though he's a big kid for his age it's a whole different ball game when it comes to physicality with pro players. He's not used to not being the biggest guy on the rink (talking overall size). He doesn't have that clear advantage like he does when he plays in juniors. It takes a while to get used to plus I don't think he's really trying to do anything stupid right now to potentially hurt his chances of making the team (even though I think he's getting sent back to juniors anyway).

When I meant stickwork I meant that in slashes & cross checks. His reach to make plays with stick has been very noticeable in both games as he made plays that most couldn't obviously.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I would prefer Rosehill in the minors. Stortini is a sack of crap so he should be in the minors. we already know the rep that Rinaldo has and so I would prefer to have less stupid on the 4th line.
Of course I have been pushing for being able to roll 4 lines for quite awhile now. I have a feeling that Berube doesn't feel the same way judging by some of his personel decisions.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Ah, I see we're already running into the problem I've been predicting for a while. We're expecting Morin to be extremely noticeable because we've all harbored an unconscious desire for him to be the heir to Chris Pronger. Even if none of us ever believed it would happen, there's a subconscious disappointment when he doesn't stand out as this imposing, dominant force.

The reality is that Morin is the kind of defenseman who makes strong plays on the wall, solid short passes that get the puck up ice effectively, and uses his size and reach to neutralize threats on the rush. Those are not skills that stand out when watching a game under normal conditions. And if he isn't standing out, people will be disappointed because that means he's not playing like Pronger.

When evaluating Morin, I hope people try to hone in on those skills rather than his (lack of) ability to wreck someone at open ice, carry the puck up ice, or dictate the pace of the game. If you were hoping for those things (consciously or not), you will be disappointed by him, unfortunately.

Exactly. Laughton is getting the same treatment it seems. Their games aren't predicated on the fancy highlight reel plays. They make simple, responsible play 99% of time with the occasional flashy skill play thrown in. In a lot of ways, that's what we should be looking for in young prospects, because that's what is most successful in the NHL. You can't toe-drag everyone all the time, or lay someone out like Scott Stevens on a regular basis. Most of the best hockey is played with a set of smart, quick decisions that lead to goals, good defense, etc.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have been pretty impressed by Laughton.

Him and Hagg are the most NHL ready by some way IMO.

They both make the correct play and already play a pro style game and have NHL bodies already. Laughton possesses the puck very well, is a great skater, good on the boards and has hands as well, his move on the shootout the other day was a pretty nice, semi-unusual one even though it got saved.

They may not stand out too much, but they are very solid hockey players who I don't think would be a liability in the NHL.

That being said let them spend a year being some of the better players playing some of the biggest minutes in the AHL.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I would prefer Rosehill in the minors. Stortini is a sack of crap so he should be in the minors. we already know the rep that Rinaldo has and so I would prefer to have less stupid on the 4th line.
Of course I have been pushing for being able to roll 4 lines for quite awhile now. I have a feeling that Berube doesn't feel the same way judging by some of his personel decisions.

Bolded for emphasis. Don't get me wrong, i like fighting but he looks like a beer league goon out there. He offers no other visible skill. He often overskated plays and then took border line late hits and threw a border line late punch in his fight.

I like his enthusiasm but my god, if i have to look at that ugly mug any longer than preseason i might puke

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

well we really know why people get so excited with these Morin projections we went so long with a joke of a prospect pool we finally draft a kid and folks want to label him as a Chris Pronger clone which is completely unfair to the kid.
I think he is going to be a very good defenseman for the Flyers someday. emphasizing someday. He is still a ways off IMO and people are just going to have to be patient. defenseman nevermind players with his frame take awhile to develop.
Philly is a tough enough place to play. expecting him to be the next Chris Pronger a future first ballot HOF is just wrong. putting those kind of expectations on the kid will just be setting people up for disappointment. But I can already see the threads starting in a year or 2 questioning whether if he will reach his potential or not.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Bolded for emphasis. Don't get me wrong, i like fighting but he looks like a beer league goon out there. He offers no other visible skill. He often overskated plays and then took border line late hits and through a border line late punch in his fight.

I like his enthusiasm but my god, if i have to look at that ugly mug any longer than preseason i might puke

I don't mind him in LV because they are going to need someone to protect some of the kids and highly touted prospects down there but yeah if plays even one game for the Flyers in the regular season I may be looking for that same puke bucket.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bolded for emphasis. Don't get me wrong, i like fighting but he looks like a beer league goon out there. He offers no other visible skill. He often overskated plays and then took border line late hits and threw a border line late punch in his fight.

It was a split squad up there in Ontario plus there's rules that are place so that the teams have to have a certain amount of veteran players in the lineup. He'll be weeded out along with some of the AHL & young players very soon (likely the end of the week).

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Well that sucks.

Hopefully nothing major.

We'll have to see. Couts got run at centre, winced and came up favoring his right wrist. Then it seemed like he wanted get even so he stayed out and carried the puck the whole way up the ice before the shift ended. Maybe just a stinger, but I was really worried at the time that he was going straight to the room.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Ray Ferraro rightly scoffed at the Pronger comparison last night and called Chris a generational player. IMO the best we can hope for is that Morin becomes our Chara, and Chara didn't have any offense till he was 24.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ray Ferraro rightly scoffed at the Pronger comparison last night and called Chris a generational player. IMO the best we can hope for is that Morin becomes our Chara, and Chara didn't have any offense till he was 24.

I think the best comparison is mean Coburn.

Good defensively, but still makes the odd bad mistake. Doesn't get much PP time because of other offernsive dmen available(Ghost and Sanheim). Big part of the PK. Plays against teams top lines.

When Coburn has gone into beast mode a few times in the playoffs, he has been great. That is my realistic HOPE for Morin.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I don't think Morin is ever going to be the skater that Coburn is.

Morin put some weight on this year and his speed has taken a hit already. As he continues to fill out his speed is only going to decrease. He needs to put on atleast 20-30 more lbs it looks like.

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
Anybody else worried that Coots may never find that offensive gear? I just don't see the explosiveness to separate from anyone which makes it increasingly difficult to get a decent shot off. I know it's a few games but he seems to still play tentatively in the offensive zone and looks lost.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I loved when Ray did that. I hope all the clueless Philly beat writers who put that label on him heard that and feel stupid. From what I can tell, frauds like Timmeh were the ones who started that nonsense. It's a shame casual Flyers fans read that stuff and actually think it's true.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Anybody else worried that Coots may never find that offensive gear? I just don't see the explosiveness to separate from anyone which makes it increasingly difficult to get a decent shot off. I know it's a few games but he seems to still play tentatively in the offensive zone and looks lost.

IM not worried , and that's because i just don't think he has it. He has never once shown the ability to be a force offensively. But that's ok. He is still a great player that provides a much needed role for the team to win.

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
I watched Morin very closely the past two games. He still needs to grow into his body. He almost looks like a baby deer out there. Back to juniors.

Also, can we please get rid of Luke Schenn? The guy just cannot play. He's a overpaid 6th defensemen who cannot make an intelligent play under pressure. All he is good for is taking the body when someone dumps the puck in.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Morin put some weight on this year and his speed has taken a hit already. As he continues to fill out his speed is only going to decrease. He needs to put on atleast 20-30 more lbs it looks like.

I haven't noticed anything like that.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
He will never be more than a checker but let's it hope for the best. Way to slow to be a scoring threat.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I highly doubt he'll be playing at 245-255 lbs. I see 230-235 lbs. at most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad