Post-Game Talk: PS 5 - Washington 5 BRUINS 4

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yeah, it's preseason and w/l are completely meaningless. And honestly I don't want the stars going all-out because they just need to get their game legs and avoid injury in these games. Still, game on the line in OT you have to at least make some effort there. It's about setting an example and upholding the standard that Bergy and Z set. Horrible look for Pasta. Still love him.
The Capitals seemed to be okay with taking it seriously and celebrating the win. Most of the guys on the ice with the bedazzled B's on their chest didn't seem to have much of a pulse. Is it the coach? Is it the "star" players? Is it the rookies (except for Poitras, Beecher, and Lohrei)?
Is it all three?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I get that it's a bad look for Pasta on that play. But I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over a preseason play. He was caught out there on the end of his shift to do something most forwards would have issues with during the season where it counts more.
I agree. I know what I'm going to get with Pasta -- and effort when it counts is not a concern.

That OT (and it does not matter one bit) was a total abomination from beginning to end. Time of possession must have been 90%/10%.

Last night was about evaluating a couple of key pieces in final roster decisions -- not about your 60 goal scorer making a defensive play or putting forth maximum effort (or not, obviously) at the end of OT.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The Capitals seemed to be okay with taking it seriously and celebrating the win. Most of the guys on the ice with the bedazzled B's on their chest didn't seem to have much of a pulse. Is it the coach? Is it the "star" players? Is it the rookies (except for Poitras, Beecher, and Lohrei)?
Is it all three?
Perhaps setting a regular season NHL record and then going out in round 1 has made them feel the only games that truly matter are playoff games but they have to get there first . Focus on the now !

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Lohrei last night:

Played 24:40, by far the most time on the ice. McAvoy 2nd at 22:49. He also had the most PP time at 4:01. He had 29 shifts, same as McAvoy, to lead the team. He even played 1:46 of short handed time. He was a +1 with a nice goal.

Just my two cents, what would be the reason to send him back to Providence? Kid is ready now. The only reason to send him down, is so the Bruins do not have to cut someone else. I like the kid! I think he makes the team. Monty is riding him like the horse that he is. Remember when McAvoy only played a few games in Providence before he became a full time roster guy? Same will happen with Lohrei.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Lohrei last night:

Played 24:40, by far the most time on the ice. McAvoy 2nd at 22:49. He also had the most PP time at 4:01. He had 29 shifts, same as McAvoy, to lead the team. He even played 1:46 of short handed time. He was a +1 with a nice goal.

Just my two cents, what would be the reason to send him back to Providence? Kid is ready now. The only reason to send him down, is so the Bruins do not have to cut someone else. I like the kid! I think he makes the team. Monty is riding him like the horse that he is. Remember when McAvoy only played a few games in Providence before he became a full time roster guy? Same will happen with Lohrei.

McAvoy played 4 games in Providence.

Lohrei has played 8, so I guess he's overdue.

Reactions: The Storm

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Gagne was on a tryout for the pre-season and then signed 1yr deal on October 14th.
You might be able player on a PTO during the regular season, but he can't appear in a regular season game on a PTO. I could be wrong, however.

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I know it is just exhibition games, but the Bruins have been badly outplayed in almost every game, they left Ullmark hung out to dry several times and just have no intensity in their game. If this continues it will be a long season and we will be sellers at the TDL.
It is troubling. Early in camp they'd ask Monty what he thought or what he was looking for and he would say, "I'm more concerned with us building our team game..." Welp, after 5 pre-season games I'm concerned about it too. They haven't built much and it doesn't look or feel like Bruins hockey. Even the lines that are all vets are struggling.

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
8 counting playoffs.

So I guess its time for Lohrei.
He's not 18 years old like Poitras. He's 22 and 6'5", 211. Shades of Larry Robinson? Yeah, I know that's a stretch at the moment ;). Monster wingspan and very effective stick. He's a good puck mover. I'll take him on the 1st pairing over Gryz any day of the week. Gryz should be on the 3rd pair where he belongs.

Mason gives the Bruins options to perhaps make a trade?

FROM THE ARTICLE:

While researching Lohrei, the first thing that stood out was that he was passed up in his first year of eligibility at the NHL draft.

As a result, I decided to find similar career paths for elite defensemen who took longer to get drafted, played outside of Canadian major junior, then played college hockey, and/or played outside of Canadian major junior or college after their draft year.
I came up with three names: Devon Toews, Jacob Slavin, and Brandon Montour.

Listed below are descriptions of their ascensions and they relate to Lohrei:

• Devon Toews: Drafted as a 20 year old after getting passed over twice while playing in the BCHL, a Junior A hockey league in British Columbia, Canada. Only after playing an entire season with Quinnipiac did he get drafted. He then spent another two seasons in the NCAA. In his last season, Toews produced 30 pts in 40 games. This is an extremely similar production rate to Lohrei’s (32 pts in 40 games). In comparison, both players were passed up while playing Tier 2 junior and producing exceptionally well in those leagues. They then produced at similar rates in the NCAA for 2 years after they were drafted.
  • Jacob Slavin: Jacob Slavin was drafted at 18, differentiating him from Lohrei. But his comparable is after being drafted, Slavin went back to the USHL for an entire season before going to college. With both Lohrei and Slavin playing their Draft + 1 season in the USHL, it primed them for success at the NCAA level. It is worth mentioning that Slavin and Lohrei play a very different style of game, yet their ascension to success in hockey follows a very similar trajectory. They both dominated in their respective play styles at the USHL level following being drafted and proceeded to 2 seasons in the NCAA before turning pro.
  • Brandon Montour: Brandon Montour’s story is highly unique. Playing in the GOJHL, a Junior B hockey league in Ontario, Canada, during his Draft year and Draft +1 year, he only made his way to the USHL during his 20-year-old season. After an impressive performance, putting up 62 pts in 60 games for the Waterloo Blackhawks, the Ducks drafted him in the second round of the 2014 NHL draft. The interesting comparison between Montour and Lohrei is their 20-year-old season in the USHL and their point production the following year with their respective college teams. Both defensemen produced over a point per game in the USHL (Montour 62 pts in 60 games & Lohrei 59 pts in 48 games) and nearly a point per game in their freshman season in the NCAA (Montour with 20 pts in 21 games & Lohrei with 29 pts in 31 games).

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
mcacoy is the guy im watching this year.
he has to step it up.
his game 7 last year was prob worst ive seen from a bruin.
im happy ullmark looked solid from what i watched.
who is this megma guy?
he looked pretty good out there. looks like he could be a good 3rd 4th liner

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
mcacoy is the guy im watching this year.
he has to step it up.
his game 7 last year was prob worst ive seen from a bruin.
im happy ullmark looked solid from what i watched.
who is this megma guy?
he looked pretty good out there. looks like he could be a good 3rd 4th liner
I kept getting him confused with Mantha on the Caps lol. I suppose Jack's pbp didn't help.

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He's not 18 years old like Poitras. He's 22 and 6'5", 211. Shades of Larry Robinson? Yeah, I know that's a stretch at the moment ;). Monster wingspan and very effective stick. He's a good puck mover. I'll take him on the 1st pairing over Gryz any day of the week. Gryz should be on the 3rd pair where he belongs.

FROM THE ARTICLE:

While researching Lohrei, the first thing that stood out was that he was passed up in his first year of eligibility at the NHL draft.

As a result, I decided to find similar career paths for elite defensemen who took longer to get drafted, played outside of Canadian major junior, then played college hockey, and/or played outside of Canadian major junior or college after their draft year.

• Devon Toews: Drafted as a 20 year old after getting passed over twice while playing in the BCHL, a Junior A hockey league in British Columbia, Canada. Only after playing an entire season with Quinnipiac did he get drafted. He then spent another two seasons in the NCAA. In his last season, Toews produced 30 pts in 40 games. This is an extremely similar production rate to Lohrei’s (32 pts in 40 games). In comparison, both players were passed up while playing Tier 2 junior and producing exceptionally well in those leagues. They then produced at similar rates in the NCAA for 2 years after they were drafted.
  • Jacob Slavin: Jacob Slavin was drafted at 18, differentiating him from Lohrei. But his comparable is after being drafted, Slavin went back to the USHL for an entire season before going to college. With both Lohrei and Slavin playing their Draft + 1 season in the USHL, it primed them for success at the NCAA level. It is worth mentioning that Slavin and Lohrei play a very different style of game, yet their ascension to success in hockey follows a very similar trajectory. They both dominated in their respective play styles at the USHL level following being drafted and proceeded to 2 seasons in the NCAA before turning pro.
  • Brandon Montour: Brandon Montour’s story is highly unique. Playing in the GOJHL, a Junior B hockey league in Ontario, Canada, during his Draft year and Draft +1 year, he only made his way to the USHL during his 20-year-old season. After an impressive performance, putting up 62 pts in 60 games for the Waterloo Blackhawks, the Ducks drafted him in the second round of the 2014 NHL draft. The interesting comparison between Montour and Lohrei is their 20-year-old season in the USHL and their point production the following year with their respective college teams. Both defensemen produced over a point per game in the USHL (Montour 62 pts in 60 games & Lohrei 59 pts in 48 games) and nearly a point per game in their freshman season in the NCAA (Montour with 20 pts in 21 games & Lohrei with 29 pts in 31 games).

Chris Chelios is probably the most famous D man passed up in his 1st draft eligible season of 1979-80. He must have graduated HS a year early because he was cut
by the only NCAA D1 program West of The Rockies (USIU in San Diego) in 1979.
He almost quit the sport when cut.

He then went to Moose Jaw Canucks in 1979-80 but wasn't drafted. The next year
Montreal drafted him in R2 of the '81 draft. He went to Wisconsin for 1981-82 season
and the rest is history.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I have soured on him too. Nothing to do with pre-season... well that's not true, I don't like their new system adjustments, I don't like this 1 man forecheck set up I'm seeing, I don't like that he hasn't adjusted his breakout from last year (teams are already reading it and picking off passes), I don't like that he's decided Frederic is a RW, I don't like that he's decided Poitras can't play some wing to break into the NHL if the C role is too much right off the bat... How's he going to handle Pasta wearing an A and mailing in the pre-season. Does that line up with the speeches given by Marchand and Neely on day 1? I don't know. I thought he had a terrible playoff (even when we were up) and it's made me look at him more critically since. I hope I'm wrong.

100%

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

FROM THE ARTICLE:

I think you took my post the wrong way.

Original post was about McAvoy only needing 4 games in Proviidence. Not a fair comparison as McAvoy was clearly ready Picked 14th in the draft, not in the late 2nd round.

Lohrei has looked great with the puck. I don't think he is being too highly touted. But I would like to see him play an NHL game or two before handing him a spot on the top paring.

Reactions: lopey

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Pasta sure do t get paid for his defense

In large measure true.

But he does get paid to develop a passable two-hundred-foot game. He's 27 now and he's not a kid anymore.

I've said it before: something is wrong when you play night after night, season after season with two of the greatest two way players to ever lace 'em up in the NHL, and you're *still* unable, or more likely unwilling, to be defensively responsible and ready to go most nights.

The fact that he is wearing an "A" has more to do with his popularity among fans, especially casual ones, than anything else.

No one's perfect but he has not put in the work to become a more complete player and deserving of his new status as a team leader.

My daughter took this pregame photo of Looch. He looked pretty happy.
View attachment 748790

That one went directly to my screen saver slide show. Thank you. :)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
In large measure true.

But he does get paid to develop a passable two-hundred-foot game. He's 27 now and he's not a kid anymore.

I've said it before: something is wrong when you play night after night, season after season with two of the greatest two way players to ever lace 'em up in the NHL, and you're *still* unable, or more likely unwilling, to be defensively responsible and ready to go most nights.

The fact that he is wearing an "A" has more to do with his popularity among fans, especially casual ones, than anything else.

No one's perfect but he has not put in the work to become a more complete player and deserving of his new status as a team leader.

That one went directly to my screen saver slide show. Thank you. :)
I will let Amanda know you liked it.

Reactions: GordonHowe

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
It is troubling. Early in camp they'd ask Monty what he thought or what he was looking for and he would say, "I'm more concerned with us building our team game..." Welp, after 5 pre-season games I'm concerned about it too. They haven't built much and it doesn't look or feel like Bruins hockey. Even the lines that are all vets are struggling.
Agree, there is little to no intensity and they are getting out-shot and outplayed.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Are we really complaining about Pastrnak’s preseason performance? Or the team as a wholes?

lmao it’s the preseason. For established players this means nothing. They’re just getting their leg under them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00