GDT: PS #5 // VAN x EDM // Sept 25 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SNET

Who should make the Oilers 6-7-8 defense?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
EDM TUNES

-

Preseason Game #5
Canucks @ Oilers
Sept 25 @ 7:00 PM MST
TV: SNET

Oilers Lines:

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Rieder - Khaira - Puljujarvi
Chiasson - Brodziak - Kassian
Aberg - Strome

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Bouchard
Garrison - Jerabek

Talbot
Montoya

Canucks Lines:

TBA

-

Please vote in the poll!

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And before anyone asks, yes, Grimes is the lady that Elon Musk is (was?) dating.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Voted Bouch and Gravel, Benning and Russel should be 4/5, Bouchard 6 and Gravel the 7th.

Bouchard can also be switched with Bear if he gets sent down.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Klefbom-Larsson-Nurse-Russell-Benning.

Surely, the question should be who is 6-7-8? I'm okay with Garrison so far, but I thought Gravel overall outplayed him and Jerabek. Bouchard and Bear are the high reward selections, so I guess I'd say Bear-Gravel-Garrison.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Looking forward to seeing how Yams does with Drai. Rieder has been pretty disappointing but him and JJ can push each other for icetime. Don't really see Cagg/Aberg sticking around/getting much playing time.

Starting to feel pretty confident in this forwards group.
Nuge- McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Drai - Yams
Khaira - Strome - Pulji
Rieder - Brodz - Kass/Chiasson
Caggiula/Aberg

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Klefbom-Larsson-Nurse-Russell-Benning.

Surely, the question should be who is 6-7-8? I'm okay with Garrison so far, but I thought Gravel overall outplayed him and Jerabek. Bouchard and Bear are the high reward selections, so I guess I'd say Bear-Gravel-Garrison.

Yes, it should, but HF won't let me change the question.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Bouchard has already made the roster... based on results so far... he's packed his shit and is moving into town as we speak. :)

Therefore it's down to #7/8.. which probably should be Gravel/Garrison.

I like Bear but I still think he could use a little more time in the AHL... not because he's "bad" but because for depth reasons, I'd prefer to have at least one of Garrison (decent shot and I think he will play his ass off in his likely last attempt at an NHL job) and/or Gravel (solid all-around dman who's rebounding after illness) on the squad as I think they are older and more established (yes I know Gravel is fairly inexperienced but he has quite a few years of pro hockey experience at least).

I think if Gravel/Garrison can be your 7/8 that's a decent backup for games where you want to give Bouchard a rest from the top 6 if he is having issues defensively and you want to let him watch from the stands for a game or two.

There's no reason Bouchard has to play 9 straight games... bringing in a vet like Garrison/Gravel onto the bottom pairing is a prudent backup plan.

***Now watch them go against all prudency and choose Jerabek who is an even bigger question mark imo.***

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Bouchard has already made the roster... based on results so far... he's packed his **** and is moving into town as we speak. :)

Therefore it's down to #7/8.. which probably should be Gravel/Garrison.

I like Bear but I still think he could use a little more time in the AHL... not because he's "bad" but because for depth reasons, I'd prefer to have at least one of Garrison (decent shot and I think he will play his ass off in his likely last attempt at an NHL job) and/or Gravel (solid all-around dman who's rebounding after illness) on the squad as I think they are older and more established (yes I know Gravel is fairly inexperienced but he has quite a few years of pro hockey experience at least).

I think if Gravel/Garrison can be your 7/8 that's a decent backup for games where you want to give Bouchard a rest from the top 6 if he is having issues defensively and you want to let him watch from the stands for a game or two.

There's no reason Bouchard has to play 9 straight games... bringing in a vet like Garrison/Gravel onto the bottom pairing is a prudent backup plan.

***Now watch them go against all prudency and choose Jerabek who is an even bigger question mark imo.***

Didn't they already wave Gravel for assignment?

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Klef-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russel-Bear

really hope these are the pairings for this game.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I'm fine with Bear and Bouchard sharing 6/7 spot. Garrison balances things out with his veteran presence who can fill in when needed.

Leave Bouchard up and give him 9 of the first 25 games or do then look at releasing him to the World Junior Team. He's likely to evolve more practicing with McDavid, Draisatl etc and playing every second/third game, then going back to Juniors in October. Try to stretch his 9 games until December, then revisit this in January.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Have lines been posted somewhere?
Not yet. These were the lines at practice though:
RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Rieder-Khaira-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg - McLoed - Chiasson

Strome is day-to-day. Personally, I hope Rieder and Chiasson take the 4th line winger spots, with Kassian and Cags scratched/traded/waived. I love the top-6.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm fine with Bear and Bouchard sharing 6/7 spot. Garrison balances things out with his veteran presence who can fill in when needed.

Leave Bouchard up and give him 9 of the first 25 games or do then look at releasing him to the World Junior Team. He's likely to evolve more practicing with McDavid, Draisatl etc and playing every second/third game, then going back to Juniors in October. Try to stretch his 9 games until December, then revisit this in January.

I agree... that's actually a pretty strong argument for keeping him up.

You have Yawney/Viveiros who will be working with him plus the best player in the world to play with to teach him NHL habits and work ethics.

I honestly can't think of a much better environment for Bouchard to get up to speed at the NHL level and excel and develop the best way possible instead of going down a large step to Junior back in London and playing vs 17/18 year olds again... in a league where 95% of the players are going to be lesser quality than him and certainly not at an NHL level.

Everything is pointing towards the Oilers having a no bullshit attitude this season as far as getting results (coach and GM both on the hotseat for firings if they don't) and I think that can only be good for Bouchard as well.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
just to piss me off apparently. Gravel was better than Jerabek or Garrison. not sure what the deal is here. At least they got Upshall right.

I think it's pretty easy to piss you off. :)

For what it's worth, I think Gravel was decent as well... but maybe they wanted him to get a bit more time in the AHL while they tried out the golden boy Bouchard as well as get longer looks at Jerabek who they spent $1 million on already and is "supposed" to be a fairly mobile puck mover.

Personally I think they are really going to be pushing the speed/breakout/big shot angles with the new systems and coaching tactics.

That could explain why Garrison (big shot), Bear (big shot and PP weapon), Yamamoto (good speed and shiftiness), Bouchard (big shot and excellent breakout passing), McLeod (great speed and passing skill) are still up with the team.

Gravel is more of a solid all around dman and they seem to want to go with a more mobile, potentially aggressive shooting/passing/breakout group is what I'm guessing.

That's the theory anyway... we'll see how it all plays out and if they have the right personnel to pull it off throughput the lineup and not just be a 1-line team again this year.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
just to piss me off apparently. Gravel was better than Jerabek or Garrison. not sure what the deal is here. At least they got Upshall right.

One thing I could see is perhaps they try to sneak him through waivers now while other teams are still trying to figure out their rosters. To me he looked the best of the three.

Other thought is they go with Garrison as he can fill in on the RD when they sit Bouchard to stretch his 9 games. Also want a longer look at Jerabek to see what they got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad