GDT: PS #5 // VAN x EDM // Sept 25 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SNET

Who should make the Oilers 6-7-8 defense?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I think it's pretty easy to piss you off. :)

For what it's worth, I think Gravel was decent as well... but maybe they wanted him to get a bit more time in the AHL while they tried out the golden boy Bouchard as well as get longer looks at Jerabek who they spent $1 million on already and is "supposed" to be a fairly mobile puck mover.

Personally I think they are really going to be pushing the speed/breakout/big shot angles with the new systems and coaching tactics.

That could explain why Garrison (big shot), Bear (big shot and PP weapon), Yamamoto (good speed and shiftiness), Bouchard (big shot and excellent breakout passing), McLeod (great speed and passing skill) are still up with the team.

Gravel is more of a solid all around dman and they seem to want to go with a more mobile, potentially aggressive shooting/passing/breakout group is what I'm guessing.

That's the theory anyway... we'll see how it all plays out and if they have the right personnel to pull it off throughput the lineup and not just be a 1-line team again this year.
I agree with you here, but on top of this is that Bouchard really will have nothing to learn in junior. I also think he's shown enough to be on the third pair - sheltered minutes and with a defensively responsible partner (hello Russell) for 9 games. Throw him some PP time on the 2nd unit and lets see how it goes. IF he falters, send him down and give it to Bear.

I'd rather Bouch or Bear be on the 2nd PP unit than Benning, but that's just me.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
From the Oilers website after the morning skate:

TONIGHT'S LINEUPS

EDMONTON OILERS
Goalies

Talbot
Montoya
Forwards
Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Rieder - Khaira - Puljujarvi
Chiasson - Brodziak - Kassian
Aberg - Strome
Defence
Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard
Garrison

Canucks about to get ****ed hard

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Excited/nervous to see the Russell-Bouchard pairing. Hopefully Russ can cover for Bouchard a little bit, I worry he'll spend too much time on the ice to do so.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
From the Oilers website after the morning skate:

TONIGHT'S LINEUPS

EDMONTON OILERS
Goalies

Talbot
Montoya
Forwards
Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Rieder - Khaira - Puljujarvi
Aberg - Strome
Defence
Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard
Garrison

Love the idea of Khaira 3rd line centre of 2nd line with Drai. Lucic has not been good all preseason. Hes been gifted that spot. Would like to eventually see Reider or Khaira there and Lucic 3rd or 4th line where he belongs.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
We need points every single time we play the Canucks this year if we want to contend. They had the surprising ability to quell McDavid a little bit last year, but I think our newly found 3rd line will do damage tonight

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Love the idea of Khaira 3rd line centre of 2nd line with Drai. Lucic has not been good all preseason. Hes been gifted that spot. Would like to eventually see Reider or Khaira there and Lucic 3rd or 4th line where he belongs.
I fully expect Khaira to battle his way onto that second line throughout the season. He looks damn good so far in preseason.

1st line
Khaira - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Lucic - Strome - Puljujarvi

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Digging the lineup for tonight, only change i'd have made is leave Khaira at 3LW and throw McLeod in at 3C. Since the 3rd line seems rather set at the moment as Khaira-Strome-Pulj, I dont really get the point of throwing Rieder on that line instead of the 4th and having Khaira at center for a game

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gregor said on Twitter Nurse-Benning are not playing, Garrison-Jerabek are.

Revised D should be

Klef-Lars
Russell-Bouchard
Garrison-Jerabek

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Russell and Bouchard should be an interesting pairing. If they really gel I could see them getting some more time together in the first 9 games. Two radically different play styles.

Reactions: ujju2

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I think they've concluded that Aberg is a tweener and not good enough for the NHL. There are other guys to bring up the line up to be scorers and he's not equipped to be an energy player. Chiasson is well suited to be a 13/14 forward at this stage of his career. Also think Jerabek is nearing the end of the line, needs to show he's at least better than Auvitu...

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He played one game.

Not only that i thought he was actually decent. He wasn't making terrible passes and he scored a goal. He wasn't great either but i actually thought Rieder was worse. Lucic just needs to not be a boat anchor at evens and score a bit on the PP, if he can do that then we got a chance of unloading him. This team needs to give him a chance in the top 6 so he can push for 50 points and have some value. In all honesty he may be unloadable to Seattle if he can be half decent, and he may even want to go there seeing how it isn't Vancouver but damn close.

Distinct

Mar 7, 2013
What has Chiasson done to earn a spot on the team? All I have seen out of the guy is drive-bys on the forecheck.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I haven't been able to watch much of any of the games, but I'm guessing Chiasson is mostly here to PK.

Reactions: belair

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What has Chiasson done to earn a spot on the team? All I have seen out of the guy is drive-bys on the forecheck.
I agree I would like him to be a bit more physical, but he's done well on the forecheck creating some turn overs and putting pressure on the opposing defensemen.

As well he's been very good on the PK. He's skates well, fills lanes well and gets his stick on the puck.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse and Benning are gonna be on the team 100% and they probably want to see more of Garrison and Jerabek.

My thoughts exactly.

Honestly at this point just hand Garrison and Jerabek a broken pool cue after the game and let them fight it out. They’re both bad but different kinds of bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad