GDT: PS #5 // VAN x EDM // Sept 25 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SNET

Who should make the Oilers 6-7-8 defense?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
went with Bouchard, Gravel and (unpopular opinion) Jerabek

only cause Garrison is done and Bear is better served playing big minutes in the AHL to start the season...once Bouchard gets sent down after 9 games, I see Bear coming up

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard
Jerabek

Reactions: MisterD

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
went with Bouchard, Gravel and (unpopular opinion) Jerabek

only cause Garrison is done and Bear is better served playing big minutes in the AHL to start the season...once Bouchard gets sent down after 9 games, I see Bear coming up

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard
Jerabek

This is exactly how i see it starting the year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Russell. Not because I want him there but because Benning was such a tirefire as a top 4 D last year and there's nothing to suggest he should be there this year.
I agree. I put Russell there so Benning can gain confidence in a role he should be playing. Rather see a vet who's probably done this year with the club struggle then a guy that could potentially be here long-term.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Russell. Not because I want him there but because Benning was such a tirefire as a top 4 D last year and there's nothing to suggest he should be there this year.
meh, I've liked Benning in the last pre-season game...had a nice assist and made some good plays
hopefully it translates into a good year

he's better than Russell IMO

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Jerabek and Kostkinen could both be in the KHL by mid-October. Really want the Oilers to pick up Sparks or Pickard, whichever if the two ends up waived by Toronto.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Klefbom-Larsson-Nurse-Russell-Benning.

Surely, the question should be who is 6-7-8? I'm okay with Garrison so far, but I thought Gravel overall outplayed him and Jerabek. Bouchard and Bear are the high reward selections, so I guess I'd say Bear-Gravel-Garrison.

Bouchard is a lock at this point. Not entirely because of his play but out of necessity and I have a feeling that they targeted him making the NHL roster from the moment he was drafted unless he looked completely out of place.

Bear will get sent down and I think we'll see Jerabek be the #7 because they see offensive upside in him. I prefer Gravel but not sure they'll see it that way. Still some games to determine that though.

Yamamoto is the real interesting one to me. I think the roster is set outside of that #2RW spot and #7 Dman. If Yamamoto continues to play well, I wouldn't be surprised if he forces their hand and starts the season on the 2nd line. Ok, I'd be really surprised if he makes the team. I really think they want to give the Lucic-Draisaitl-Reider line an honest shot before breaking it up.

Simonizer

Sep 23, 2015
From the Oilers website after the morning skate:

TONIGHT'S LINEUPS

EDMONTON OILERS
Goalies

Talbot
Montoya
Forwards
Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Rieder - Khaira - Puljujarvi
Chiasson - Brodziak - Kassian
Aberg - Strome
Defence
Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard
Garrison

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Little curious how Reider would look with Kassian and Brodziak. Interesing mix of speed, toughness and defensive awareness to go with three guys that should all be in triple digits for goals.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Tonight is essentially our opening day lineup. Forwards are just missing Strome. Should be a good game.

Love Chiasson playing over Caggiula

I can't see Todd demoting Rieder to the 4th line after only one viewing on the Drai line. Unless Yamamoto completely knocks it out of the ballpark the rest of preseason, he's AHL bound IMO.

I agree that the rest of the lineup is set once Strome returns and Cagguila in place of Chaisson.
I like that they have made the majority of cuts already and pretty much set the final lineup halfway through. Smart to start building chemistry now.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
If Lucic continues to fail that line I hope Mclellan has the balls to switch him with Rieder.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Put me in a group who prefers Caggiula over Rieder, especially considering their contracts. I think the difference between the two players right now is marginal, but Caggiula has the ability to play a grittier game and has the potential, I think, to score 20 goals. Rieder might be able to score 20, too, but the difference in physicality and contracts gives Caggiula the edge, in my mind.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I can't see Todd demoting Rieder to the 4th line after only one viewing on the Drai line. Unless Yamamoto completely knocks it out of the ballpark the rest of preseason, he's AHL bound IMO.

I agree that the rest of the lineup is set once Strome returns and Cagguila in place of Chaisson.
I like that they have made the majority of cuts already and pretty much set the final lineup halfway through. Smart to start building chemistry now.
Well Yamomoto certainly has a big game ahead of him.

Not sure I'd agree with their decision to send him down (if it's strictly based on performance) considering he's been better than both Rieder and Lucic, but hopefully he gets right into the swing of things there this year if he does.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Lucic continues to fail that line I hope Mclellan has the balls to switch him with Rieder.

I'd sooner see Khaira get the nod up there. That said I think that if Yamo sticks that Looch will do well as the 3rd wheel on that line.

Put me in a group who prefers Caggiula over Rieder, especially considering their contracts. I think the difference between the two players right now is marginal, but Caggiula has the ability to play a grittier game and has the potential, I think, to score 20 goals. Rieder might be able to score 20, too, but the difference in physicality and contracts gives Caggiula the edge, in my mind.

I take Rieder because of the pking element to his game.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I'd sooner see Khaira get the nod up there. That said I think that if Yamo sticks that Looch will do well as the 3rd wheel on that line.

I take Rieder because of the pking element to his game.
I don't really wanna see Khaira up there because he has been great with Strome-Pulj.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Rieder can at least play 2 way hockey. Cagguila is still young but I haven’t seen anything that tells me he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->