Post-Game Talk: PS #5 - 10/04/16 | RANGERS @ islanders | 7:00 PM - MSG2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Goals are the premium metric in the NHL.

Pirri can score goals.

Pirri should be playing every game.

Yup

It's one thing if he didn't produce goals and was weak in other areas of the game. But if he scores goals and is meh in other areas, screw it I want the goals. Goals win games.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I haven't seen pirri do anything stand out bad defensively. He's worked hard

hes ok defensively..not good, not horribad...just ok.

what hes terrible at are board battles...loses them way more than he wins them.

thats not his game...if you want a strong board player, go get one...rangers need shooters...its the thing we need more than anything...2 guys on the PP who will shoot it all the time...mika on one side, pirri on the other.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why is Pirri even being considered for center? It boggles my mind. His skills translate so much better on the wing and his defensive responsibilities are diminished.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
hes ok defensively..not good, not horribad...just ok.

what hes terrible at are board battles...loses them way more than he wins them.

thats not his game...if you want a strong board player, go get one...rangers need shooters...its the thing we need more than anything...2 guys on the PP who will shoot it all the time...mika on one side, pirri on the other.

Exactly

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
They just don't have a spot for him in the top 9 with buchnevich on the team.

So AV is actually doing th smart thing here. He realizes he needs this kid in the lineup for the pp so nowhere else to put him but on the 4th line with two defensive wingers. It's not ideal but unless they can move zuccarello he rather have him on the ice than in the press box

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Why is Pirri even being considered for center? It boggles my mind. His skills translate so much better on the wing and his defensive responsibilities are diminished.

It's just a matter of how the roster shapes out. If you're having both Buch and Vesey on the team and in the top 9, there's just flat out no room for him on the wing unless you plan on scratching one of Fast (never happening with AV) or Grabner and having him play the 4th line wing with one of Gerbe/Jooris centering.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Yeah, no. Pirri is awful in about every category other than goalscoring. I like Pirri here quite a bit, but he should not be seeing a regular shift in the top 6. He should be a bottom 6 player getting tons of PP time. He's a liability defensively.

if you are great at something, that doesnt mean you are awful at everything else. it may just mean you do the other stuff less great.

pirri may well be weak away from the puck, but he still makes the effort and his upside with that shot negates whatever weaknesses he has away from the puck.

in other words, i can live with the holes in his 2 way game if he scores goals.

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
After this pre-season, I could see the following happening:

- Skjei, Graves, Gilmour, Summers will go to Hartford
- Holden, Clendening and McIlrath will fight for 2 spots on defense.

Skjei is a great prospect, but not ready for NHL hockey (yet). He is waiver exempt and honestly, he has not outplayed Holden.

Clendening at this stage is better than McIlrath, even though some people will never admit it. My ideal defense, without any changes:

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Clendening
Holden-Girardi
McIlrath

I've been surprised by Clendening's play also and will be interested to see if he can keep it up against the better players once the season starts. I don't see any world besides AV's that Girardi would be ahead of mcilrath

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You almost forget how young clendening is....only 23 years old. Could be on his way to figuring things out?

He was better than I expected last night.

If they want to commit to clendening in the lineup and return skjei to Hartford for the time being they could keep another forward longer. Could see that happening.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It's just a matter of how the roster shapes out. If you're having both Buch and Vesey on the team and in the top 9, there's just flat out no room for him on the wing unless you plan on scratching one of Fast (never happening with AV) or Grabner and having him play the 4th line wing with one of Gerbe/Jooris centering.

correct.

at this point, they want him on the roster.

keep in this in mind, this kid isn't a total waste of space as some her might have you believe.

pirris numbers 5v5 are very strong. he's NOT just a pp shooter. he can score at even strength.

a top 9 spot is ideal. the 4c is better than hartford.

i continue to hope that av plays pirri and sits jesper fast.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
correct.

at this point, they want him on the roster.

keep in this in mind, this kid isn't a total waste of space as some her might have you believe.

pirris numbers 5v5 are very strong. he's NOT just a pp shooter. he can score at even strength.

a top 9 spot is ideal. the 4c is better than hartford.

i continue to hope that av plays pirri and sits jesper fast.

Even better than I could have said Myself

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As long as Pirri doesn't touch top 6 minutes, I will love him on this team.
I would not mind giving him a shot on the 3rd line. Especially if Busch starts in the minors.

I do worry about how he is along the boards. The Rangers were especially weak and unwilling in that area of the ice last year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Gerbe is LESS of a center than Pirri. He's taken something like 20 faceoffs in his whole NHL career.

So true AV didn't really do gerbe any favors playing him at center that's just not something he's capable of. Guy is a winger.

Pirri can actually play center.

I'm starting to lean more to AV keeping 14 forwards and screwing around for 20 games while sending skjei to Hartford.

He can keep pirri Jooris and gerbe if he does that.

Still don't believe he keeps Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad