GDT: PS #4 OILERS "Not near as strong team as we had here" @ JETS "big guns in the line up"

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I did mention those plays. Its fair that you don't read all of my posts. ;)

One of my major pet peeves though is players that get caught up high on bad forecheck attempts. The decisioning needs to be better there by Yama. There was no chance he was winning that puck. So why is he there 200ft away when the play is obviously a counter and last man back. I think its fair question.

I get that Kailer is an intriguing player to people here.. I was intrigued last year, this year I'm not. I didn't like his play much in the prospects games and maybe that set a different tone for me. But its his weight, not his play in short sample games that is my concern. I would need to see a lot more for that not to be a concern.

Yamamoto was the biggest offensive threat for the Oilers last night besides maybe Puljujarvi. He has 4 goals and 2 assists in 3 preseason games and is tied for 2nd on the Oilers in shots. All of this while being paired with linemates who will likely not be on the team. What are you not impressed with exactly? Lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's fair.
He will always have an uphill climb to be a consistent top 6 NHLer but he as all the traits needed to succeed at that size so it's just a matter of him proving it.

I can understand the skepticism though, I just felt like you were writing him off in some earlier posts which triggered the many responses that you got.

I'm not always good at perceiving how my reactions get reacted to which is why they are reactions, heh.

Posting after games is akin to driving after drinking. Should be avoided at all costs, and while I do not operate equpipment while impaired I don't always avoid posting while under the influence (of games or libations) ;)

Overall though I was very positive about the game last night. I think the players in the lineup largely stood up and showed a lot of intent to keep the score close. Lots of efforts to like. Again Brodz was fantastic last night. Surprised theres not more comments on that the several times I've mentioned it. Brodz was good to great every shift. Fantastic breakway feed as well. He's got it all still. Skill, grit, intensity, tireless work ethic. He so much improves our 4th line and pk.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yamamoto was the biggest offensive threat for the Oilers last night besides maybe Puljujarvi. He has 4 goals and 2 assists in 3 preseason games and is tied for 2nd on the Oilers in shots. All of this while being paired with linemates who will likely not be on the team. What are you not impressed with exactly? Lol

I honestly forget the previous 2 goals by Kailer. I didn't think he was good at all in the prospects games which concerned me a bit (maybe it shouldn't)

Last nights goals are good sure, one a tip when he was trying to deflect, credit given. Another on a good read seeing that Nurse was rushing the puck but an OUTSTANDING play and feed by Nurse there. That was a Paul Coffey type play no less. Kailer was in the right place, and good of him to get there. So credit given. But it was a garbage time goal and I'm not sure the checking was tight at all.

Ultimately this is preseason. I'm not sold on what occurs in preseason. I like Yamamoto, liked him last season. I'm just not sold.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
Have we already discussed the pitiful play by play and color commentary in last nights game? Holy homer.

"The Jets look like they are in mid-season form" - Really? Getting out-shot 41 - 21 by depth NHLers and AHLers is mid-season form? There were several extended periods of time during this game where the Oiler's scrubs were seriously outplaying the Jets premium players. Oh but wait, the Jets were without Kyle Connor. They made sure everyone was aware of that.

"This power play is so dangerous because of all the weapons..." Perhaps it also has something to do with the 3rd string goalie and lack of actual NHL PKers in the opponents line-up... just a thought.

"Hellybuck is certainly looking like he is back to form" This was true, Hellybuck played well. But if the rest of the team is in mid-season form, why did he have to play so well? Without him your team just lost to a bunch of depth players. I would be concerned not excited.

Listening to them bask in any play made by the Jets where they exposed a guy like Jarabek or Marody was unnerving. You can't even say our play by play guys do it too. Our color commentary guys are so scared to offend anyone that they will spend more time talking up our opponents than our own players.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Have we already discussed the pitiful play by play and color commentary in last nights game? Holy homer.

"The Jets look like they are in mid-season form" - Really? Getting out-shot 41 - 21 by depth NHLers and AHLers is mid-season form? There were several extended periods of time during this game where the Oiler's scrubs were seriously outplaying the Jets premium players. Oh but wait, the Jets were without Kyle Connor. They made sure everyone was aware of that.

"This power play is so dangerous because of all the weapons..." Perhaps it also has something to do with the 3rd string goalie and lack of actual NHL PKers in the opponents line-up... just a thought.

"Hellybuck is certainly looking like he is back to form" This was true, Hellybuck played well. But if the rest of the team is in mid-season form, why did he have to play so well? Without him your team just lost to a bunch of depth players. I would be concerned not excited.

Listening to them bask in any play made by the Jets where they exposed a guy like Jarabek or Marody was unnerving. You can't even say our play by play guys do it too. Our color commentary guys are so scared to offend anyone that they will spend more time talking up our opponents than our own players.
I noticed that. Felt like they were afraid to say anything bad about their team. Hellybuck had a fantastic game and was probably the reason why they won. Frankly Jets didn't look great and got by with their stars

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Perhaps, but would he get those minutes when the top line is around.

Not likely.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The way I see this playing out is just because on contract reason is Bear being sent down instead of sitting in the PB while Bouchard gets his games.

The only reason is cause Bouchard can't go to the AHL but Bear can

Reactions: VainGretzky

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yeah I’m pretty floored. Jerabek has been a disaster.
I'm not surprised he was signed to a one-way contract they tend to get more leash than they deserve, alternatively we could of sent out notice we were waiving him and asked if anyone was interested and some team spoke up that they are interested and want to scout him for a game.

Reactions: MessierII

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I finally have to say it.....it is "I HAVE SEEN"....or "I SAW"

It's been years and years of seeing you write "I seen" and today I finally snapped.

/rant

Also, you're wrong about Nurse.

How's this I've seen.

Reactions: TB12

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

If anything, those last two games performance proved that it is very possible for the Gets to take a step back this year just like the Oilers did.

Reactions: Konami McDavid

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I noticed that. Felt like they were afraid to say anything bad about their team. Hellybuck had a fantastic game and was probably the reason why they won. Frankly Jets didn't look great and got by with their stars

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Beyak and Sawyer are brutal; they remind me too much of Remenda's gushing over everything Sharks.

Even the PBP by the Flames guys when it was on SNET against us was more fair.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Beyak and Sawyer are brutal; they remind me too much of Remenda's gushing over everything Sharks.

Even the PBP by the Flames guys when it was on SNET against us was more fair.
Being a homer is one thing but acting like that was a flawless game is insulting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad